NFL 2021 Week 2: Is that Jeopardy! gig still available?

Rhom

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Packers also have a top five LT when healthy, so the comparison isn't that strong, and if he was healthy in the NFC Championship game I think the Packers end of winning the Owl. 

And the Bengals have Jonah Williams who they just drafted 11th OA a couple years ago. I don’t really blame them for not wanting to move him. Sewell looked absolutely terrible in the preseason when the Lions tried him at RT, and now he looks great back at his natural position. Moving guys around on the OL is not as easy as some people think.

But look, I get it, Burrow is still getting hit too much. And I hate it. The optics are obviously really bad, but my problem was not taking Chase, it was them not doing more for the OL in FA. Reiff has been good so far, but they needed help on the inside. 

28 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

You can keep throwing out sack numbers without context all you want, but I’ve actually watched every snap. The Bengals OT’s are not the problem. Hell, week 1 Jonah Williams was one of only 7 LT’s in the entire league that didn’t allow a single pressure. Now, he wasn’t as good against Chicago, but he was also dealing with Mack.

The Bengals biggest issue right now is the IOL. Their center is not back to form yet after a season ending injury last year, and their RG has been bad. Our 2nd round pick Jackson Carman is probably going to get a shot there soon. Especially if Su’a-Filo isn’t ready to go against the Steelers this week (he’s currently on the injury list).

Where the Bengals really failed was not them taking Chase (he looks every bit as good as advertised), it’s not doing more for the IOL in FA. They lowballed guys like Thuney and Zeitler, and they could have definitely used the help there. 

A lot of the hits Burrow is taking are not even on the OL though. We’ve already had several sacks as a result of RB’s and TE’s not picking up blitzes (this is where context comes in). We’re sorely missing Gio Bernard, who is one of the best blocking RB’s in the league. Letting him go I will absolutely criticize the team for.

And finally, Burrow himself needs to be better at not taking so many hits. A couple of the sacks he’s taken have been 100% on him. 

If all of his sacks are coming after three seconds, that implies to me that his receivers aren't consistently getting open, which sort of goes against the argument of drafting a WR.  And it's worth noting that two of the main concerns with Chase coming into the draft was that he struggles with press and isn't an elite route runner, both things that would impede his ability to get open at the NFL level, especially early in his career before he adds polish to his game.  

Love him for fantasy, though, because he's a constant big play threat.

ETA: It also implies that the coaching staff isn't scheming guys open, which means they're doing Burrow absolutely no favors by throwing him out there for that long and expecting him to just make things happen. 

I'd just like to say that Bosa manhandled Sewell pretty thoroughly in Week 1.  Of course, that may just be because Bosa is too awesome.

As for the discussion about Urban Meyer, yeah, I personally think there's absolutely no valid evidence he'll be a good coach in the NFL and I'd bet on him being a failure like so many of his ilk.  However, I think he'll probably get two years before he's fired/resigns/whatever.

6 minutes ago, briantw said:

If all of his sacks are coming after three seconds, that implies to me that his receivers aren't consistently getting open, which sort of goes against the argument of drafting a WR.  And it's worth noting that two of the main concerns with Chase coming into the draft was that he struggles with press and isn't an elite route runner, both things that would impede his ability to get open at the NFL level, especially early in his career before he adds polish to his game.  

Love him for fantasy, though, because he's a constant big play threat.

Oh, Chase is definitely getting open. He’s been torching dudes.

32 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

And the Bengals have Jonah Williams who they just drafted 11th OA a couple years ago. I don’t really blame them for not wanting to move him. Sewell looked absolutely terrible in the preseason when the Lions tried him at RT, and now he looks great back at his natural position. Moving guys around on the OL is not as easy as some people think.

It does seem he's been doing much better once moved back to his natural position, but he was bad in the preseason, like Chase. 

But look, I get it, Burrow is still getting hit too much. And I hate it. The optics are obviously really bad, but my problem was not taking Chase, it was them not doing more for the OL in FA. Reiff has been good so far, but they needed help on the inside. 

I was legit worried for him when our teams played week 1. I think we got five sacks, and it seemed like he was getting hit every other time he dropped back and didn't immediately get the ball out. I Like Burrow, both on and off the field, but he isn't going to succeed because he can out talent other QBs so that means you have to protect him. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It does seem he's been doing much better once moved back to his natural position, but he was bad in the preseason, like Chase. 

I was legit worried for him when our teams played week 1. I think we got five sacks, and it seemed like he was getting hit every other time he dropped back and didn't immediately get the ball out. I Like Burrow, both on and off the field, but he isn't going to succeed because he can out talent other QBs so that means you have to protect him. 

And 3 out of those 5 sacks were not even on the OL (2 on a RB & 1 on a TE). Our brilliant coach thought having Drew Sample blocking Danielle Hunter one-on-one was good idea…

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

And 3 out of those 5 sacks were not even on the OL (2 on a RB & 1 on a TE). Our brilliant coach thought having Drew Sample blocking Danielle Hunter one-on-one was good idea…

But that still fits the narrative that they're not prioritizing protecting Burrow. And his mobility is far from 100% recovered. I'm not even entirely sure he should be out there right now. 

50 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But that still fits the narrative that they're not prioritizing protecting Burrow. And his mobility is far from 100% recovered. I'm not even entirely sure he should be out there right now. 

Yet he was good enough to have the highest rated game (128.8) of his career so far against your Vikes. :P

14 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yet he was good enough to have the highest rated game (128.8) of his career so far against your Vikes. :P

And yet he didn't actually look very good. We're still running cover zero blitzes and all a decent QB has to do is identify it and chuck it up and they'll be okay. Burrow didn't do much in the second half once they adjusted. 

17 hours ago, DMC said:

I'd just like to say that Bosa manhandled Sewell pretty thoroughly in Week 1.  Of course, that may just be because Bosa is too awesome.

As for the discussion about Urban Meyer, yeah, I personally think there's absolutely no valid evidence he'll be a good coach in the NFL and I'd bet on him being a failure like so many of his ilk.  However, I think he'll probably get two years before he's fired/resigns/whatever.

I wouldn't say he manhandled him throughout the game. Sewell held his own just fine especially for a rookie first start against someone like Bosa. Bosa of course had his moments but that is expected.

For the record Bosa didn't get his sack on Sewell, he didn't give one up this week either and has no penalties.

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I wouldn't say he manhandled him throughout the game. Sewell held his own just fine especially for a rookie first start against someone like Bosa. Bosa of course had his moments but that is expected.

For the record Bosa didn't get his sack on Sewell, he didn't give one up this week either and has no penalties.

That comment was wholly designed to point out how awesome Bosa is.  I got nothing against Sewell and, yes, he did do a pretty solid job overall - Bosa himself said he's going to be good.  However, the "manhandled" language was specifically referring to Bosa's sack, which, yes, Sewell did give up.  I mean, I guess I don't know how the official "grading" on that goes, but Bosa bull-rushed him into Goff and then chased after Goff for the sack:

30 minutes ago, DMC said:

That comment was wholly designed to point out how awesome Bosa is.  I got nothing against Sewell and, yes, he did do a pretty solid job overall - Bosa himself said he's going to be good.  However, the "manhandled" language was specifically referring to Bosa's sack, which, yes, Sewell did give up.  I mean, I guess I don't know how the official "grading" on that goes, but Bosa bull-rushed him into Goff and then chased after Goff for the sack:

Yeah somehow that didn't get counted against Sewell? Maybe it will be revised?  The talk around here, Detroit, is what do they do when Taylor Decker is back from injury. Sewell looked pretty bad on the right side.

That doesn't get counted against Sewell because Sewell held his block during the actual rush and Goff didn't get sacked. After he's left containment Sewell would have had to hold Bosa in order to stop that sack. 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

According to PFF he has one penalty.  Not unexpected for a rookie tackle.  He's going to jump early a few times this year.

1 hour ago, Kaligator said:

That doesn't get counted against Sewell because Sewell held his block during the actual rush and Goff didn't get sacked. After he's left containment Sewell would have had to hold Bosa in order to stop that sack. 

I'd hardly say he "held his block," which just demonstrates the difficulty in operationalizing these metrics.

Archived