Watch, Watched, Watching : Series or Stand Alone? Home or Theater?

Zorral

Watched the first episode of the HBO Jessica Chastain re-make of Bergman's Scenes From A Marriage.  I never cared for the Bergman film, because, well, the characters' lives were so very comfortable in every way except their feelings.  I'm having the same reaction to this television series, re-set in 2020 Boston, despite its gender turn-around and the addition of an African American, and the initial scenes' grad student interviewer who appears Indian American.  Their problems are so piddling, or so they come across to me, anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~

https://ew.com/tv/starz-3-month-subscription-deal/

Looks a good deal. Particularly if in the mood for a Black Sails rewatch.

~~~~~~~~~~

The final season, 6, of Lucifer went up on Netflix this past weekend.

I know a lot of you will probably go all " As if" on me, but I had never seen Clueless. Huge oversight obviously, but I saw the error of my ways and watched it this weekend. I fully understand why this film basically started a genre (famous literary classic transposed to an American high school) and am sad that said genre isn't really a thing anymore. Seriously, between this, 10 Things I Hate About You and She's All That, this short-lived trend produced a few gems.

After Clueless, I made the mistake of watching another "classic", namely Bloodsport. This  movie is a sad joke. For one, it is probably the only movie that is more closeted than Top Gun, secondly it is based on the ravings of a compulsive liar and thirdly, it(s just terrible. I don't understand how this could have cult appeal as a martial arts film as the fights in this are dreadful. I would be able to stomach the wooden acting, paper thin characters and nonsensical plot if only there had been some cool fights in this.     

Once Upon a Time in America. The 3h49m cut on Netflix.  This is definitely not the cut I saw years ago. Fantastic film. Incredible production values. Beautifully shot. but it still feels like a film that's missing some bits. When I have some extra cash, I'm going to find a copy of the 250 minute version.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

After Clueless, I made the mistake of watching another "classic", namely Bloodsport. This  movie is a sad joke. For one, it is probably the only movie that is more closeted than Top Gun, secondly it is based on the ravings of a compulsive liar and thirdly, it(s just terrible. I don't understand how this could have cult appeal as a martial arts film as the fights in this are dreadful. I would be able to stomach the wooden acting, paper thin characters and nonsensical plot if only there had been some cool fights in this.     

How dare you. It's kumite time!

27 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Once Upon a Time in America. The 3h49m cut on Netflix.  This is definitely not the cut I saw years ago. Fantastic film. Incredible production values. Beautifully shot. but it still feels like a film that's missing some bits. When I have some extra cash, I'm going to find a copy of the 250 minute version.

Did you watch the linear version the first time?

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I think so. It was a long time ago. My memory isn't great, but there were definitely a number of scenes I didn't recognize. 

I honestly can't recall if I've seen that cut. If I did it would have been a very long time ago. My understanding is they cut a lot of the childhood scenes, and that in general the story was way less gripping after ditching the nonlinear structure. 

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I know a lot of you will probably go all " As if" on me, but I had never seen Clueless. Huge oversight obviously, but I saw the error of my ways and watched it this weekend. I fully understand why this film basically started a genre (famous literary classic transposed to an American high school) and am sad that said genre isn't really a thing anymore. Seriously, between this, 10 Things I Hate About You and She's All That, this short-lived trend produced a few gems.

I’ll still watch Clueless any time it comes on tv. Between that movie, and a couple of the Aerosmith videos she was in, Alicia Silverstone was actually my first big celebrity “crush” when I was in my early teens. 

Watched Black Book, directed by Paul Verhoeven, today. Great movie and Melisandre was phenomenal! Has to be one of my favorite directors today (and that includes the much maligned Showgirls which I rewatched recently and found it to be criminally underrated).

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I honestly can't recall if I've seen that cut. If I did it would have been a very long time ago. My understanding is they cut a lot of the childhood scenes, and that in general the story was way less gripping after ditching the nonlinear structure. 

I'm pretty sure the opuim den stuff was gone too. And the Union guy. 

20 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm pretty sure the opuim den stuff was gone too. And the Union guy. 

Treat Williams' character is not that important, but idk how you can cut the opium den scenes considering that's where the movie is suppose to begin and end. Also, did not know this until just now, but the actor who played the adult role of Patsy died of a heroin overdose before the movie was released. He passed just before his 30th birthday, which is way too young, and I'm sure being a medic in Vietnam probably left him deeply scared, especially doing so at such a young age. What a shame. 

38 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

First three episodes of Y: The Last Man dropped on FX this evening. Going to be digging in shortly.

I'm onto the 2nd ep and confused why there are teen boys alive but younger boys died.

Never mind.  I'm just slow.  They're trans.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Treat Williams' character is not that important, but idk how you can cut the opium den scenes considering that's where the movie is suppose to begin and end. Also, did not know this until just now, but the actor who played the adult role of Patsy died of a heroin overdose before the movie was released. He passed just before his 30th birthday, which is way too young, and I'm sure being a medic in Vietnam probably left him deeply scared, especially doing so at such a young age. What a shame. 

Remember that the US theatrical version was universally panned when it came out. There's no way to cut half of the film out and still have it make sense. That didn't stop them from trying.

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Remember that the US theatrical version was universally panned when it came out. There's no way to cut half of the film out and still have it make sense. That didn't stop them from trying.

Once Upon a Time in America, and Kingdom of Heaven are always the two that come to my mind the most as examples of studios butchering a film’s theatrical release. Both are great if you actually watch them the way the directors intended. 

5 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

After trailer I feel inclined to watch a new Dexter, problem is I never bothered to watch the last two seasons of the original series. Do I need to get back to them before the new one?

I'm going to watch it and I gave up in season 3 or 4. 

Archived