Watch, Watched, Watching : Series or Stand Alone? Home or Theater?

Zorral

Good for LL. While I've never been able to get into Xena (and believe me, I tried) because I rolled my eyes so hard I lost them in the back of my head, Lucy seems to be very cool. I even follow her on twitter because she does awesome political battle with he former co-star, dumbass "Hercules".

I'm still enjoying Only Murders In The Building a lot. The current episode does a nice job without (almost) any sound, and the Scabble scene is hilarious. Three more eps, I hope they'll stick the landing.

Star Trek: Lower Decks is quite entertaining, too. Fun romps satirizing Trek clichés and tropes, but also with character development and stuff. Ep 2-7 is my absolute favorite so far. "Did his kingdom come?" 

I'm planning to check out The Vigil next, with my favorite actress Suranne Jones and GOT's very own Rose Leslie. No spoilers please...

17 hours ago, Ran said:

I mean, there's a whole episode featuring Ho Chi Minh at Versailles. It was very much aware of colonialism, at least.

Hmmm, based on the sample size of two episodes I have revisited you can color me skeptical. There is some improvement in the series on the front of colonialism (It happens that I saw episode 1 and 11), as teenage Indy seems to be quizzed more ideologically than Child Indy but even in an episode where colonialism is explicitly discussed by one of the characters (episode 11) and the show displays sympathy for their viewpoint it is still very much reveling in lurid, orientalist visual language and atmosphere.

After all, that same episode 11 also features an explanation by Albert Schweitzer about his African name being master of life and death, because the simple tribesmen can't comprehend the concept of anesthesia (the patient he treats is also very exotified with filed teeth and scar markings on his face. Not an expert on tribal structures in that area, but I'd be doubtful that such a stereotypical headhunter style is rooted in the history of that particular territory) . Or later on, there is a discussion with a tribal chief about the Great War and the tribal chief has no inkling about the size of the conflict and its destructiveness. The man is portrayed as a noble savage, which strikes me as odd. People back then might not have had CNN, but these type of things they did tend to know.

It might be that the YIJC was more sensitive than most shows back in its day, but looking at it from a contemporary viewpoint, as I said earlier, it is amazing to see how backwards it is for something that is less than 30 years old. Obviously, it might improve of course, but that's just my two cents based on the episodes I saw.

17 hours ago, Ran said:

As to the "Great Man" matter, the fact is that it makes for exciting narratives and drama when you can attach historic events to specific persons and what they were doing rather than trying to abstract it all because of socio-political forces. That's why GoT had the Night King, I guess. :P It may be somewhat simplifying of things, but it works for a TV show trying to engage and excite young people about history, which then leads to a deeper examination of the history in the documentaries and so on.

I think kids can handle more than that, but even if they really needed that intro, do we really need a long-drawn out cliff-notes monologue from Schweitzer about the philosophy that landed him the Nobel Prize? Or does T.E. Lawrence have to meet with Howard Carter and help solve a murder as some Hercule Poirot of the dessert? Seems like it could be more subtle.

If you want to excite the kids, the battle at the beginning of episode 11 does just that. The plot with the forced march through the Congo basin and the faithful sergeant character were also dramatically far more interesting and educational than the Reverence for Life intro on Wikipedia they had their Schweitzer deliver in there. 

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

After all, that same episode 11 also features an explanation by Albert Schweitzer about his African name being master of life and death,

They call him oganga, which is more like witch-doctor, and then also they call him giver and taker of life. 

because the simple tribesmen can't comprehend the concept of anesthesia

There are contemporaneous accounts of Schweitzer and other missionary doctors being equated to witch doctors and what they did being understood as magical. Your view seems to be that presenting how a culture treats things its ignorant of is somehow deeming to that culture, rather than simply an example of the different conceptual experiences they have at that period of time.

(the patient he treats is also very exotified with filed teeth and scar markings on his face. Not an expert on tribal structures in that area, but I'd be doubtful that such a stereotypical headhunter style is rooted in the history of that particular territory) .

The episode takes place in the Congo somewhere, I don't think we are given a great sense of where exactly. I don't think the tribe is specified, either, but tooth sharpening was quite predominant in the region among most major ethnic groups, and there's photographs of people from the upper Congo, for example, with both filed teeth and scarification. So I think that is fine, especially as there are a fairly wide range of examples of Africans in the episode who don't all have the same features.

Or later on, there is a discussion with a tribal chief about the Great War and the tribal chief has no inkling about the size of the conflict and its destructiveness. The man is portrayed as a noble savage, which strikes me as odd. People back then might not have had CNN, but these type of things they did tend to know.

You'll be surprised at the levels of ignorance that exists in remote places in the world to this day. I've been watching some travel videos by a young, Afrikaans South African guy. He was in some remote rural village in South America, Peru or Chile maybe, and when he was asked where he was from, he explained "Sudáfrica." The response was an astonished, "There are white people in Africa?" 

So, to me, this is fine -- this is a remote tribal chieftain with little connection to anything European, who has heard of some sort of war in the place called Europe where the Belgians and other white men come from, and he uses his conceptual framework of what a war is in discussing it. It's like the famous essay, "Shakespeare in the Bush", where the Tiv of West Africa hear a recounting of Hamlet and have a wildly different understanding of its plot and characters because of their conceptual framework.

I think kids can handle more than that, but even if they really needed that intro, do we really need a long-drawn out cliff-notes monologue from Schweitzer about the philosophy that landed him the Nobel Prize? Or does T.E. Lawrence have to meet with Howard Carter and help solve a murder as some Hercule Poirot of the dessert? Seems like it could be more subtle.

Having watched it as a teen, yeah, these things were pretty engaging since I made a point of watching all the episodes as they aired back in the day. I won't say the show is perfect, but rather that whatever cynicism the 21st century has put into you is coloring your reception of the show. 

If you want to excite the kids, the battle at the beginning of episode 11 does just that. The plot with the forced march through the Congo basin and the faithful sergeant character were also dramatically far more interesting and educational than the Reverence for Life intro on Wikipedia they had their Schweitzer deliver in there. 

I mean, you are dwelling on the episode concerning a future Nobel Prize for Peace winner, which is not going to necessarily be super action-packed when it comes to him. It's not like he's going to be slugging it out with Belgians. The fact that they were even willing to make an episode about him says something about the educational nature of the project, though. 

Here's a preview one of the three documentaries associated with the episode (the other two are about Schweitzer and the development of pacifism in the 20th century), just to give a sense:

16 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

Star Trek: Lower Decks is quite entertaining, too. Fun romps satirizing Trek clichés and tropes, but also with character development and stuff. Ep 2-7 is my absolute favorite so far. "Did his kingdom come?" 

Yes - I've still got to catch up on the most recent episodes of the Lower Decks. It's the only TV on at the moment that I'm engaged in following. It's always nice to sit down at night with a show that I know is going to make me laugh. I file it mentally in the same drawer as The Orville, though the latter is live action. 

Lucan (2013) Britbox. 2 episodes.

Scripted drama about the investigation into the late 1970’s disappearance of a Lord Lucan who lost everything gambling and can’t understand why he should lose just because he lost. “I’m an Earl!  This country’s gone to hell when an earl can’t get his wife committed into an insane institution just on his say-so!” 

So, yes, I’ll kill Veronica, he thinks, because she harshes his joys of losing all their money to his gambling, and because she doesn’t like it that he hits her, and doesn’t like it that he chases around, and he's afraid she'll ask for a divorce. Damn this country where the courts will give guardianship of HIS children to the mother. So murder is the only solution. Plus, you know, I am LORD LUCAN, the courts won't / can't touch me (except they'll take away guardianship of MY CHILDREN, so what the hell insanity is going on here?).

Such ignorant, arrogant, entitled, hereditary monsters these aristo Brit males of the 1960’s and 70’s! And stupifyingly stupid and incompetent to do anything, except cheat, whine, whinge, and blather endlessly about their great superiority. Imagine this guy – he killed Sandra, his children's beloved nanny, ‘by mistake’ because he couldn't tell the difference between Sandra and his wife, Veronica. He then does his best to kill, Veronica, right next to Sandra's dead body, on the same floor, when the wife comes down the stairs to investigate what happened.  When Veronica brilliantly incapacitates him by squeezing his balls even as he's viciously beating her, then talks down this evil manbaby, he politely suggests s that Veronica kill herself with an overdose of some medication, and is somewhat bewildered that she rejects this proposal.  Also, of course she made him lose the money and kill Sandra, strive to get her institutionalized, and finally he had to kill her because there was no other choice, because MY CHILDREN.  He and his circles are all up in alpha male, white eugenic nonsense that only the entitled aristos are entitled by birth blood and breeding to rule all women and the inferior sorts, plus the BS we hear out of these same groups here and the UK about what makes a manly man manly – being white and rich is a good start!  Good grief you’d think it was 1900, an era of the perpetual boy, with ilks of the forever-boy child such as Teddy Roosevelt, blathering on subject. Are these the same blind to anything but their own childish, temper tantrum desires man babies who are running England now and got the country the disaster of Brexit?

One of the narrators matter-of-factly observes that in those days “the toffs just hated women”.  The women in their circles hated women too, echoing their men's perceptions and judgments like the successful, good women they are. That was what was wrong with Veronica, they tell us, which certainly qualified her to be institutionalized – she had thoughts of her own that didn’t agree -- including not like having all their assets gambled away, while having three small children to educate and start in life.  One speculates this hatred of women, rife among the aristos, young, middle-aged and elderly, had something to do with the trajectory of Princess Diana’s lidw wreckage after entering the royal circles. 

This is an unpleasant, disturbing watch, though it is a fascinating period piece, which, alas doesn’t seem that period-y in our time, filled with incels and other overtly women hating groups and men -- and women too! -- who think it perfectly obvious, sane and right that women, gotten uppity, like the Speaker of the House, should be removed, punished and even killed.

On 9/27/2021 at 2:29 PM, Heartofice said:

Squid Game,  basically sums up why I just prefer Korean stuff to Japanese stuff. On paper this is basically Alice in Borderland, kinda similar premise, but almost everything about it is more interesting in a way that good Korean movies tend to be.

Its the same old ‘people go into a crazy lethal game’ set up , but it adds in the sort of down on their luck characters who feel real and social commentary on equality and poverty that something like Alice really lacked.

Where Alice felt like a real life Anime, this feels like something really well made.

Ok I’m only one episode in so it might all go downhill but so far I really like it

I found the first episode interesting but kind of "meh" ...until the last 20 minutes.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:59 AM, ithanos said:

Made the mistake of starting Squid Game on Netflix in the middle of the working week. Didn't like any of the adult characters in the opening episode, but the situation was intriguing and I couldn't resist the second episode, then the third. Will probably finish the 9 episode season before the weekend starts. A bit too addictive this.

Squid Game is amazing. I started watching last night with the intention of watching the first two episodes and, "off to bed". I had to force myself to stop at the end of episode 4 or I wouldn't have gotten any sleep last night. Just, Wow. I thought it would get repetitive but they've done a brilliant job of being unpredictable and making the characters and environment grow. I'm hooked.

For me, it has a similar quality to The Leftovers, in being able to handle rapid tonal shifts over the course of a single episode. "Tonally inconsistent" is a criticism people often make, but in the right hands it can work brilliantly. I think they've done that here.

8 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I found the first episode interesting but kind of "meh" ...until the last 20 minutes.

Squid Game is amazing. I started watching last night with the intention of watching the first two episodes and, "off to bed". I had to force myself to stop at the end of episode 4 or I wouldn't have gotten any sleep last night. Just, Wow. I thought it would get repetitive but they've done a brilliant job of being unpredictable and making the characters and environment grow. I'm hooked.

For me, it has a similar quality to The Leftovers, in being able to handle rapid tonal shifts over the course of a single episode. "Tonally inconsistent" is a criticism people often make, but in the right hands it can work brilliantly. I think they've done that here.

Finished it. Predictable ending, but not entirely so. The only let down was the quality of the foreign actors. Overall - amazing, and a little disturbing,

https://www.ign.com/articles/squid-game-netflix-phone-number-korean-man-4000-calls-a-day

On 9/30/2021 at 4:59 AM, ithanos said:

Made the mistake of starting Squid Game on Netflix in the middle of the working week. Didn't like any of the adult characters in the opening episode, but the situation was intriguing and I couldn't resist the second episode, then the third. Will probably finish the 9 episode season before the weekend starts. A bit too addictive this.

I found the first two episodes to be a little slow, especially episode two, but from three to the end it's great and I also got through it real quick.

12 hours ago, ithanos said:

Finished it. Predictable ending, but not entirely so. The only let down was the quality of the foreign actors. Overall - amazing, and a little disturbing,

https://www.ign.com/articles/squid-game-netflix-phone-number-korean-man-4000-calls-a-day

I finished it. Yeah, there were a few plot points at the end that I saw coming, but some of that stuff was foreshadowed.

I disagree about the performances. The main cast did a great job, particularly Lee Jung-jae (player 456). His arc over the course of the season was amazing to watch. The Gangster or the defector would be my choice for best supporting actor. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I finished it. Yeah, there were a few plot points at the end that I saw coming, but some of that stuff was foreshadowed.

I disagree about the performances. The main cast did a great job, particularly Lee Jung-jae (player 456). His arc over the course of the season was amazing to watch. The Gangster or the defector would be my choice for best supporting actor. 

Think the old guy was also brilliant 

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I disagree about the performances. The main cast did a great job,

Agree on the performances of the main cast - they were outstanding. 456, the Ganster, the Defector, the Old Man, even the Policeman and the Frontman. But I was referring specifically to,

Spoiler

...the foreign actors, the VIPs. If that's the caricature they were after, from their actors, then it didn't quite work for me. They could've used the Old Man (Oh Il-nam) as a type reference and strung out variations from there.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Lee Jung-jae (player 456). His arc over the course of the season was amazing to watch. The Gangster or the defector would be my choice for best supporting actor. 

456 is a great character, but looking back over it, did he really change?

Spoiler

Sure his better natures came to the fore in the Squid Game, but if you're his daughter, then he's still the irresponsible father he was at the beginning. He sat on the money for a whole year, lost in the trauma of the Squid Game. Only when he gets some answer to it all from the Old Man that he comes forth from his moping and finds some focus to his life - only to be distracted at the end. I'm not complaining really, its great writing and I'll sure watch a second season.   

The Old Man reveal was a nice surprise with the use of that pact he & 456 shared, and I immediate thought back to his death which was implied off screen, as the camera pans. At the time I put it down to writers just didn't want to show an old man being shot. Bets on the Policeman to still be alive next season too, as he conveniently died off screen.

I watched Skyfall last night, getting ready for the next Bond to be released. Was fairly disappointed the first time I saw it, but that was just because it was overhyped to the nines. Honestly I still think it's just an average Bond film, though it's better than anything Moore did and Brosnan only can claim Goldeneye as a better film. 

1 hour ago, ithanos said:

Agree on the performances of the main cast - they were outstanding. 456, the Ganster, the Defector, the Old Man, even the Policeman and the Frontman. But I was referring specifically to,

Hide contents

...the foreign actors, the VIPs. If that's the caricature they were after, from their actors, then it didn't quite work for me. They could've used the Old Man (Oh Il-nam) as a type reference and strung out variations from there.

456 is a great character, but looking back over it, did he really change?

Hide contents

Sure his better natures came to the fore in the Squid Game, but if you're his daughter, then he's still the irresponsible father he was at the beginning. He sat on the money for a whole year, lost in the trauma of the Squid Game. Only when he gets some answer to it all from the Old Man that he comes forth from his moping and finds some focus to his life - only to be distracted at the end. I'm not complaining really, its great writing and I'll sure watch a second season.   

The Old Man reveal was a nice surprise with the use of that pact he & 456 shared, and I immediate thought back to his death which was implied off screen, as the camera pans. At the time I put it down to writers just didn't want to show an old man being shot. Bets on the Policeman to still be alive next season too, as he conveniently died off screen.

Spoiler

By the end he's searching for meaning in the whole experience, which is not where he was when they were released after the first game. Episode 1 456 would not have sat on the cash for a year. He'd have pissed it away at the track. I think the hair dye is symbolic too. 

456 is fundamentally a good person who has to face the dark side of his persona. His behavior in the gymnasium was one thing, but he played the games to win. He didn't help anyone during red light green light. He didn't show anyone his saliva trick during game 2; they just watched him do it. He tried to con the old man out of his marbles. He never mourned Ali or vagina suppository cigarette lady. 

8 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
  Reveal hidden contents

By the end he's searching for meaning in the whole experience, which is not where he was when they were released after the first game. Episode 1 456 would not have sat on the cash for a year. He'd have pissed it away at the track. I think the hair dye is symbolic too. 

456 is fundamentally a good person who has to face the dark side of his persona. His behavior in the gymnasium was one thing, but he played the games to win. He didn't help anyone during red light green light. He didn't show anyone his saliva trick during game 2; they just watched him do it. He tried to con the old man out of his marbles. He never mourned Ali or vagina suppository cigarette lady. 

Spoiler

I think we need a better name than vagina suppository cigarette lady ^_^. She was a great foil for gangster dude though.

3 hours ago, ithanos said:
  Hide contents

I think we need a better name than vagina suppository cigarette lady ^_^. She was a great foil for gangster dude though.

One of the most memorable scenes in that series that didn't involve a bullet. I laughed my ass off at that whole bathroom scene.

She was Han Mi-nyeo (Player 212). I should have looked that up :D

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I watched Skyfall last night, getting ready for the next Bond to be released. Was fairly disappointed the first time I saw it, but that was just because it was overhyped to the nines. Honestly I still think it's just an average Bond film, though it's better than anything Moore did and Brosnan only can claim Goldeneye as a better film. 

The plot is absolutely absurd. Dreadful fucking movie.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

The plot is absolutely absurd. Dreadful fucking movie.

Dreadful may be a step too far, but I was so underwhelmed seeing it a month or so after it came out. People were talking about it like it may be better than Casino Royale.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dreadful may be a step too far, but I was so underwhelmed seeing it a month or so after it came out. People were talking about it like it may be better than Casino Royale.

I would mention the myriad plot holes, but in order to have holes, you really need to have a plot.

This was utter nonsense.

Also, you do realise that Film Critic reviews of Bond movies are generally not to be trusted. I mean, Peter Bradshaw gave Spectre five freakin' stars.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I would mention the myriad plot holes, but in order to have holes, you really need to have a plot.

This was utter nonsense.

Also, you do realise that Film Critic reviews of Bond movies are generally not to be trusted. I mean, Peter Bradshaw gave Spectre five freakin' stars.

Spectre is trash. I'm still not sure if I've ever actually seen it all in just one sitting. That said I looked at a lot of different rankings. I have to say the ultimate wildcard seems to be Diamonds Are Forever. 

Archived