Alanis Morissette - trigger warning for statutory rape

Which Tyler

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/13/alanis-morissette-says-she-was-victim-of-multiple-statutory-rapes-as-a-teenager

Speaking in a new documentary, Alanis Morissette has said she was the victim of multiple statutory rapes as a teenager.

The documentary, Jagged, is screening at the Toronto film festival this week. The Washington Post has reported that Morissette describes the attacks during the film. “It took me years in therapy to even admit there had been any kind of victimisation on my part,” she says. “I would always say I was consenting, and then I’d be reminded like ‘Hey, you were 15, you’re not consenting at 15.’ Now I’m like, ‘Oh yeah, they’re all paedophiles. It’s all statutory rape.’”

article continues...

Listening to her music, this isn't as shocking as it might have been. Still very brave of her to essentially tell the world 20 years ago; and to now do so explicitly (whilst protecting the name of her manager from the ages of 14-19)     

The way this is worded has confused me, it implies she was assaulted by her manager but she's not revealing his/her identity?

Was the manager of her the guilty party in the assaults and if so, why would that name be protected by her?

Or am I misinterpreting what you posted?

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The way this is worded has confused me,

Sorry. Problem with the quote function here.

Have managed to reformat, hopefully that helps.

Alanis isn't naming names, other people know who she's talking about, and have done so.

Personally, I'd always thought she had an unhealthy relationship with sex, but nothing that stood out too badly in my mind at the time (assuming the bad-boyfriend cycle).

When I read the article Hands Clean leapt out at me as "how could I have missed that". I went looking for a YouTube of it to illustrate, and found that one which specifically discussed this from a year or more ago, and did a better job of it than I could (and named names that I wouldn't have known)

I've always been bemused by the lack of accountability for all those men who spent years sexually abusing children whilst working in the music industry.

In this country, the police went after light entertainers and radio DJs, whilst rock stars (and politicians) largely got a pass.

Speaking of which:

Look Away review – horrifying stories of abuse at the hands of male rock stars

Look Away is a documentary that looks directly at the music industry’s attitudes to and abuse of the young girls who were – and we can assume still are – pushed or pulled into musicians’ orbits. The film’s title comes from a track of the same name on Iggy Pop’s 1996 album Naughty Little Doggie, which is a “tribute” to one of the most famous “baby groupies” on Sunset Strip in the 70s, Sable Starr. “I slept with Sable when she was 13 / Her parents were too rich to do anything / She rocked her way around LA / ’Til a New York Doll carried her away.” Words are not deeds, of course, though Starr did run away from home to live with a member of the Dolls in NYC at 16, and knew Iggy Pop at that time.

“So many little girl songs,” notes Kari Krome, songwriter and co-founder of the Runaways. She was a witness to and frequent victim of the exploitation by older men of young girls who came to Hollywood; she recounts a rape and an assault, and you sense that this is merely the tip of her personal iceberg of trauma. Look Away is built round extensive interviews with her, the Runaways’ bass guitarist, Jackie Fuchs, and Julia Holcomb. Holcomb met Aerosmith’s frontman, Steven Tyler, when she was 16, became his lover, ward (he got her mother to sign over custody so he could cross state lines with her on tour without being arrested), and fiancee in that order. He got her pregnant then pressured her into an abortion, she says, then sent her home.

There needs to be a reckoning for these fuckers.

58 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I've always been bemused by the lack of accountability for all those men who spent years sexually abusing children whilst working in the music industry.

In this country, the police went after light entertainers and radio DJs, whilst rock stars (and politicians) largely got a pass.

Bill Wyman with Mandy Smith always blew my mind.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Bill Wyman with Mandy Smith always blew my mind.

He knows he's a paedo. We know he's a paedo. The police know he's a paedo.

Wyman reportedly contacted the police, essentially saying, "Well, come on then."

No doubt the Chief Inspector just winked, doffed his cap, then wiggled his fingers in a weird, uncomfortable-looking manner, before sending Wyman merrily on his way.

28 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

He knows he's a paedo. We know he's a paedo. The police know he's a paedo.

Wyman reportedly contacted the police, essentially saying, "Well, come on then."

No doubt the Chief Inspector just winked, doffed his cap, then wiggled his fingers in a weird way, before sending Wyman on his way.

I reckon she is on the best alimony package ever. No victim no crime as they say. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Just done a quick google search. Holy shit. I had no idea. What a fucking monster.

I randomly caught most of his biopic (Chaplin, 1992) a few months ago.  It isn't very good, and his relationship with Oona is depicted as some storybook romance.  They even have a scene where Hoover is trying get Chaplin on anything and he and his aide are lamenting that they can't arrest him for statutory rape - and they are portrayed as the villains (which, granted it's virtually impossible to make Hoover sympathetic, but still).

Just gone down the Wikipedia rabbit hole, and learned that Oona was the daughter of Eugene O'Neill. Maybe everyone else knew that, but I didn't. He disowned her when she married Chaplin ͏- disowning your only daughter when she's at her most vulnerable, prey to both Chaplin and to her probable Elektra complex seems like a spectacularly awful thing to do. Both his sons committed suicide, and Oona was in the end the heir of the estate. Though one suspects she'd have preferred a father that didn't walk out on her when she was four, and officially drop her again at eighteen. 

Did anything nice at all happen to people in showbusiness in the early-to-mid-twentieth century? Chaplin himself isn't a train crash only because he was the signalman in various instances, and because he seems to have concentrated his share of disaster in his early life. 

Not that this stuff stopped last century, as Alanis Morisette's comments remind us. 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, Spockydog said:

Just done a quick google search. Holy shit. I had no idea. What a fucking monster.

Nothing compared to Jerry Lee Lewis, tho.

I still think he takes home the cake from the list thus far.

57 minutes ago, DMC said:

They married a month after she turned 18.  Which is highly suggestive the 36 year gap wasn't the only problem.

Where were they? In the UK the age of consent is 16 and legally you can marry a that age, but you can't marry until 18 without permission from parents.

Archived