Alanis Morissette - trigger warning for statutory rape

Which Tyler

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

It seems that a 36 year age gap is something that most people find squicky. I would, personally, not find someone 36 years older than me to be appealing, but Oona was of legal age. 

I need to look up the age difference between Anna Nicole Smith and her husband. It is said that she truly loved him. 

At my age, someone 36 years older would be dead, or at the very least in residential aged care. Adults have to make their own decisions I guess, as long as they are adults, but I can understand why Eugene wasn't happy.

17 minutes ago, Isalie said:

Lol adults, u cant be three times older than someone and be like, we are both adults. 

Of course you can, 75 and 25 is weird but they are both able to make their own decisions. I'd agree that 54 and 18 is more of a worry.

Reading up on his last marriage they were together 44 years so it clearly worked for them. The pattern of the ages he married people is a big red flag though. 

8 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

It seems that a 36 year age gap is something that most people find squicky. I would, personally, not find someone 36 years older than me to be appealing, but Oona was of legal age. 

I mean, yeah, but no.

Charlie Chaplin Was a Sadistic Tyrant Who Fucked Teenage Girls

Although the British actor and director was beloved for his slapstick comedy, Charlie Chaplin was a selfish, raging megalomaniac who treated his children and teenage wives with relentless cruelty.

Born into poverty in south London to a deadbeat dad and a mentally ill mother, Charlie Chaplin had all the makings of a rags-to-riches success story. The hard-working, spottily educated little Chaplin spent his childhood as a clog dancer, in and out of workhouses and relatives' homes, before learning physical comedy from the legendary British comedian Fred Karno. From there, according to Peter Ackroyd's 2014 biography Charlie Chaplin: A Brief Life, Chaplin rose to the status of "the most famous man in the world" by the age of 26. This compelling background—combined with a huge Hollywood salary and the respect and adoration Chaplin commanded in spite of being about 5'5"—allowed the actor to sleep with what he estimated were about 2,000 women during his lifetime.

While as a boast this is obnoxious and as a fact it could be neutral, it was these women—along with the children a few of them bore him—who endured the brunt of Chaplin's selfish, domineering, and cruel personality. It seemed that as the public quickly succumbed to "Chaplinitis" or "Chaplinoia," it quickly went to Chaplin's head. One of the first women to experience this, according to Ackroyd, was Edna Purviance, a 19-year-old actress Chaplin hired from an ad he placed in the San Francisco Chronicle. (It read "Wanted—the prettiest girl in California to take part in a moving picture.") The pair quickly became more than costars, but as Chaplin's dedication to his work eclipsed the attention he paid his girlfriend—when he visited New York, Ackroyd notes, Chaplin would not write to her—he became surprised when she started seeing another man.

Chaplin's next conquest took place during a time when his routine at parties was to "imitate the manner in which the leading ladies of the day might experience orgasm," Ackroyd writes. It was with an even younger starlet, the 16-year-old Mildred Harris, who soon informed him she was pregnant with his child. Spooked both at the prospect of domestic responsibility and of a scandal, Chaplin arranged a marriage, which took place in October 1918. It turned out the pregnancy was a false alarm, or a trick. Very soon, according to Ackroyd, Chaplin started to regret all of it: He thought Harris had bamboozled him into marriage and found her embarrassing, a bad actress, and "no mental heavyweight." He would be short and moody with her, often leaving home for days at a time without telling her where he was going. After she truly became pregnant with his child, she had a nervous breakdown, due in part to his mistreatment.

In 1920, the same year he and Harris went through a bitter divorce, Chaplin met the 12-year-old who would become his next wife, Lillita MacMurray, who later went by the professional name of Lita Grey. Although Chaplin admired Grey (even commissioning a portrait of her), he held off on pursuing her until she was a more appropriate 16 years old and playing a small role in his 1924 film The Gold Rush. She, too, became pregnant out of wedlock; Chaplin, spooked this time by the prospect of criminal charges, secretly married her in November 1924. She had two of his children before they divorced, amidst affairs and the failure of her career, in 1927.

Chaplin was so obsessed with film making the fact is he slept with only 2,000 women. An amateur, compared to Michael Jordan, who I think says he’s probably slept with 10,000 women, or the probable record holder, Wilt “the Stilt” Chamberlain, who, iirc, was sleeping with an average of 3 women a day for years and years. He just “loves” women. Ya, sure.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, dog-days said:

Just gone down the Wikipedia rabbit hole, and learned that Oona was the daughter of Eugene O'Neill. Maybe everyone else knew that, but I didn't. He disowned her when she married Chaplin ͏- disowning your only daughter when she's at her most vulnerable, prey to both Chaplin and to her probable Elektra complex seems like a spectacularly awful thing to do. Both his sons committed suicide, and Oona was in the end the heir of the estate. Though one suspects she'd have preferred a father that didn't walk out on her when she was four, and officially drop her again at eighteen. 

Did anything nice at all happen to people in showbusiness in the early-to-mid-twentieth century? Chaplin himself isn't a train crash only because he was the signalman in various instances, and because he seems to have concentrated his share of disaster in his early life. 

Not that this stuff stopped last century, as Alanis Morisette's comments remind us. 

Shirley Temple Black?  (All I can come up with from around that era).  I can highly recommend You Must Remember This - a podcast about Hollywood in the 20th Century.  It’s excellent.  I’m also a big fan of Unspooled, which is more movie criticism, but does a deep dive into each movie (and the stars and scandals around them - the one on The General (Buster Keaton’s magnum opus) is great).

38 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Chaplin was so obsessed with film making the fact is he slept with only 2,000 women. An amateur, compared to Michael Jordan, who I think says he’s probably slept with 10,000 women, or the probable record holder, Wilt “the Stilt” Chamberlain, who, iirc, was sleeping with an average of 3 women a day for years and years. He just “loves” women. Ya, sure.

Damn you Bird! There are so many jokes to be made here, but I can't given the nature of this thread.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Like I said, I still find 22 y.o. Jerry Lee Lewish marrying a 13 y.o., his cousin on top of that, still to be way more disturbing than the stuff Chaplin did.

I don't know why it has to be a competition, they're both sick fucks.

39 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know why it has to be a competition, they're both sick fucks.

Actually Oona O’Neil isn’t really what I would focus on for Chaplin.  There was a huge age difference, and you can feel however you feel about it, but she was of age when they married, and they did stay married for 44 years.  So if that were it….HOWEVER, there is a LOT more there on Chaplin (even taking into account that he was widely reviled for his anti-fascist, pro-Communist sympathies).  There was Lita Grey (15 to his 35).  There was Mildred Harris (16) - think he married her.  There was the Joan Barry scandal.  There was Paulette Goddard (though she was 21).  Anyhow, there’s some squick there for sure.

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Actually Oona O’Neil isn’t really what I would focus on for Chaplin.

Agreed.  I just mentioned her because that was the most glaring thing in the movie, and then people kept on responding to that.

So some say a formula defines the acceptable age range between mates.

According to the rule, you divide your age by two and then add seven to calculate the "socially acceptable" minimum age for a partner. For example, if you're 32, you can date someone as young as 23 while remaining in the realm of "socially acceptable," according to the calculation.Nov 11, 2020

5 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

This is really a load of crap, IMO. The numerical relationships get skewed with age.

As you get older yes. It becomes much less of a problem.

But as I mentioned in the dating thread, it's more about protecting younger human beings. 

A 30 y/o fucking a 45 y/o. Who gives a shit? I don't.

A 30 y/o abusing a 15 y/o. That is a problem.

7 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I was maybe 17 or 18 when I hooked up with someone who was 35 - I had no idea of his age, and he met me at a bar, so he had no idea of mine. Anything below the legal age of consent is squicky, IMO.

interestingly enough, I thought Peebs was 50 when I met him, and he thought I was 30.

it took us weeks to discover that he’s 65 and I’m 46 :rofl: there’s been a lot of plastic surgery going on, here :rofl:

Again I say, It's more about protecting teenagers/young adults. 

8 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Agreed with 30 years old and someone 15. 18, though? Not my problem, there’s a legal age for a reason.

Bullshit. You are an intelligent human being.

The legal age in the medieval times was what? As soon as a woman had her period?

You ever consider the arbitrary number that is the current legal age could possibly be wrong?

Edit: For Fuck's Sake. The current legal drinking age in the United States is still 21.

But it's OK for 18 y/o's to go to war and have sex with all and sundry because reasons.

Archived