Alanis Morissette - trigger warning for statutory rape

Which Tyler

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Bullshit. You are an intelligent human being.

Idk dude. Early on in my freshman year of college I was at a party where everyone was either a freshman, sophomore, junior or HS senior. Except for the one person who wasn't, who also happened to be the girl I hooked up with. I made the assumption when she gave her grade that she meant in college.

5 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Of course it could be wrong. DMC says 25.

However, if you can choose to die for your country, IMO you should be able to choose to have sex with whomever you wish.

Yeah.... So maybe the age you are allowed to choose to die for your country is the problem and should be raised.

Not the other way around.

I agree with @DMC (If that is what he said)

11 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Agreed with 30 years old and someone 15. 18, though? Not my problem, there’s a legal age for a reason.

Legal age, eh. That'd be 14. So, just ebcause it's legal, doesn't mean it doesn't creep me out.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Legal age, eh. That'd be 14. So, just ebcause it's legal, doesn't mean it doesn't creep me out.

Yeah.  My point wasn't really about what's legal, just my own personal standards of what would creep me out and what wouldn't.

6 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

What on earth are you even talking about? 

Half your age plus 7 years would make that age 24-25 yrs old.

Are you skim reading or didn't understand my post?

Are you not reading the thread?

You were the one who said they were neutral on the subject.

Re:You were the one who said they were neutral on the subject.

Neutral on whether the formula Chats objected to was a glove fits all. 

As far as the rest of the subject I don't spend much time thinking on it as I haven't been single in many many years, so it's meh personally. On a society level stick to that formula if your having trouble on what's apropriate, that's why I put it out there.

Just now, DireWolfSpirit said:

Neutral on whether the formula Chats objected to was a glove fits all. 

As far as the rest of the subject I don't spend much time thinking on it as I haven't been single in many many years, so it's meh personally. On a society level stick to that formula if your having trouble on what's apropriate, that's why I put it out there.

:dunno:

You brought up the formula that was objected to.

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

:dunno:

You brought up the formula that was objected to.

Already responded in edit, you quoted too fast.

The whole thing is a nothing burger for many like myself, non single people, who are long out of the dating life.

There's literally no instance where I would have to deal with such choices.

9 minutes ago, kiko said:

All those guys who think that 35/18 sounds icky talk about 18yo girls, right? I sense some underlying paternalism. 

No, although that societal double standard certainly is there:

12 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

The whole thing is a nothing burger for many like myself, non single people, who are long out of the dating life.

There's literally no instance where I would have to deal with such choices.

Ummmm. No it is not.

If the legal age of consent was lowered to 15, would that also be a nothing burger to you?

4 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Nicccccceeeee.

Funny thing about that episode is the B story of Cartman imitating Dog the Bounty Hunter steals the show.  I love when Kyle tries to thank him and he's like "you don't need need to thank me.  My hallways are clean."

Wow this thread went off the rails.

When Oona and Charlie chaplain got married, the median age of marriage for women in the United States was 21 years old. Today it's 28. It was totally ordinary for women under 20 to be married in those days.  Regardless of what kind of man Chaplain was, this is not even close to what happened to Morrisette. The age difference between the Chaplains is large, but there's no law against that. Nor was Oona Chaplain "too young" to get married; legally or otherwise. 

My parents married in the late 1960's. My mother was 18. My father was 10 years older. The courtship has some very Michael & Appolonia Corleone vibes to it. He introduced himself to her father first.

3 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The courtship has some very Michael & Appolonia Corleone vibes to it.

Considering how that played out, not sure that's the best example.

Anyway, you can say "times were different" all you want, but the fact is he prayed on teenage women looking to make it in show business for decades.  Excusing his behavior based on legalities and/or social norms at the time is absolute horseshit.

9 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Wow this thread went off the rails.

When Oona and Charlie chaplain got married, the median age of marriage for women in the United States was 21 years old. Today it's 28. It was totally ordinary for women under 20 to be married in those days.  Regardless of what kind of man Chaplain was, this is not even close to what happened to Morrisette. The age difference between the Chaplains is large, but there's no law against that. Nor was Oona Chaplain "too young" to get married; legally or otherwise. 

My parents married in the late 1960's. My mother was 18. My father was 10 years older. The courtship has some very Michael & Appolonia Corleone vibes to it. He introduced himself to her father first.

And Mildred Harris was 16. This was before Oona.

Why does Oona keep getting brought up as a defense?

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

And Mildred Harris was 16. This was before Oona.

Why does Oona keep getting brought up as a defense?

I was responding to the comments earlier in the thread where people were referring to the age difference between the Chaplains.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Considering how that played out, not sure that's the best example.

The courtship. Not the marriage.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

Anyway, you can say "times were different" all you want, but the fact is he prayed on teenage women looking to make it in show business for decades.  Excusing his behavior based on legalities and/or social norms at the time is absolute horseshit.

Except it's "legalities and social norms" that define Morrisette's experience as grooming and statutory rape. Those same social norms meant that before 1970, roughly half the marriages performed in the US involved women 19 years or younger. I'm not defending Chaplain's behaviour.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Ted Nugent.

Archived