Alanis Morissette - trigger warning for statutory rape

Which Tyler

32 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The courtship. Not the marriage.

The courtship involved Michael threatening the father's life.

35 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Those same social norms meant that before 1970, roughly half the marriages performed in the US involved women 19 years or younger. I'm not defending Chaplain's behaviour.

Arranging a marriage to Lita Grey in Mexico to avoid statutory rape charges is not excusable behavior - in 1921, 1971, or 2021.

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

The courtship involved Michael threatening the father's life.

No, no. He was just introducing himself... And his pals... with the shotguns. And then everyone was happy. Besides, the courtship hadn't started yet. 

42 minutes ago, DMC said:

Arranging a marriage to Lita Grey in Mexico to avoid statutory rape charges is not excusable behavior - in 1921, 1971, or 2021.

Not defending that. I was referring to his marriage to Oona O'Neil. 

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ummmm. No it is not.

If the legal age of consent was lowered to 15, would that also be a nothing burger to you?

I'm just not interested in it, has nothing to do with my life whatsoever. What other families are choosing to do is totally and grotesquely (in the case of underaged) up to them and the state.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Well that is a sad/disappointing reply. 

It's a subject that is pretty gross, I have no need to have skin in such circumstances. It's challenging enough to manage my own family interests. If this is a subject you enjoy championing then that's great for you.

It has zero to do with my life circumstances though.

58 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It's a subject that is pretty gross, I have no need to have skin in such circumstances. It's challenging enough to manage my own family interests. If this is a subject you enjoy championing then that's great for you.

It has zero to do with my life circumstances though.

Yeah, no. I'm not championing anything.

Saying "adults shouldn't have sex with adolescents" doesn't need a champion at all. It's like saying, "people shouldn't kill other people"

It's something that is obviously true.

Would you say murder is OK because, "I have no need to have skin in such circumstances. It's challenging enough to manage my own family interests. It has zero to do with my life circumstances though. I'm just not interested in it, has nothing to do with my life whatsoever. What other families are choosing to do is totally and grotesquely (in the case of underaged) up to them and the state. "

I wouldn't think so.

Because it's a pretty gross crime.

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Wow this thread went off the rails.

When Oona and Charlie chaplain got married, the median age of marriage for women in the United States was 21 years old. Today it's 28. It was totally ordinary for women under 20 to be married in those days.  Regardless of what kind of man Chaplain was, this is not even close to what happened to Morrisette. The age difference between the Chaplains is large, but there's no law against that. Nor was Oona Chaplain "too young" to get married; legally or otherwise. 

My parents married in the late 1960's. My mother was 18. My father was 10 years older. The courtship has some very Michael & Appolonia Corleone vibes to it. He introduced himself to her father first.

A former work colleague’s mum didn’t find out her husband was 10 years older than her until they were signing the marriage certificate - she told him he’d made a mistake writing his dob, and he had to admit he hadn’t…

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

It's something that is obviously true.

So obvious I'm not needing to give it much concentration and as I was trying to point out last eve, albeit under the influence of too much wine at the bonfire, so probably responding poorly, it's not something that I or even anyone I know would ever have any direct contact with. I don't know any people or have any family that are celebs, underage lovers or even cougars for that matter, so it's not something I've ever tried to understand and as I've said a few times previous now it's pretty gross and feel no need to add anymore, this exchange is feeling queerily repetitve.

I always thought U16 girls by Travis was a bit weird, even as I was singing along to it as a twelve year old.

I mean, sure, don’t get involved with underage girls. Do you really need to write a song about it?

7 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Why nobody has brought up the name “R. Kelly” is shocking to me.

Well, he does have an ongoing court case. 

Having said that, yeah, he's an evil, sadistic cunt, who will soon be getting 'educated' in paedo clinky.

Archived