UK Politics - We Don’t Want to See Your Papers, Please

john

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/policing-bill-discrimination-black-travellers-b1919272.html

But its equalities impact assessment added: “Any indirect difference on treatment on the grounds of race is anticipated to be potentially positive and objectively justified as a proportionate means of achieving our legitimate aim of reducing serious violence and preventing crime.”

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

What will happen is that your 500g of pickled pigs feet will now be 1lb of pickled pigs feet, which is 453g. The price, however, will remain the same.

Win, win, win!

People still eat these?

Anyways, @Werthead, @A Horse Named Stranger, not trying to sidestep some of the issues you raised, but I agree with @The Anti-Targ. It seems rather unlikely to me that China would start a hot war that would suck in the U.S. and other nations over Taiwan, regardless of how valuable they view it culturally and financially. The costs would simply be too much, and unless I missed something, leadership of the Communist Party's top priority is still maintaining and growing their middle class. A global conflict that would leave them damaged and isolated goes directly against that and could lead to the collapse of the party. Hard to see them risking that on a coinflips chance of prevailing. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

What will happen is that your 500g of pickled pigs feet will now be 1lb of pickled pigs feet, which is 453g. The price, however, will remain the same.

Win, win, win!

Which interestingly is apparently the exact same thing when imperial went metric with pick'n'mix lollies, Apparently you bought 1/4 of a pound of pic'n'mix back in the day and that went down to 100g but stayed the same price, so kids everywhere were being stiffed of 13.25g of lollies.

I imagine things you bought in the half pound were also rounded down to 200g. I guess the only gain was possibly things that came in lbs went up to 500g, but I'm guessing in that case the price went up too. For a long time here after we went metric we would still go out and buy what people would say is a lb of butter, but it was really 500g.

35 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Which interestingly is apparently the exact same thing when imperial went metric with pick'n'mix lollies, Apparently you bought 1/4 of a pound of pic'n'mix back in the day and that went down to 100g but stayed the same price, so kids everywhere were being stiffed of 13.25g of lollies.

I imagine things you bought in the half pound were also rounded down to 200g. I guess the only gain was possibly things that came in lbs went up to 500g, but I'm guessing in that case the price went up too. For a long time here after we went metric we would still go out and buy what people would say is a lb of butter, but it was really 500g.

It's not really a new concept. Most German states officially introduced a metric pound of 500g in the 19th century and the term "Pfund" has meant exactly that in German-speaking countries ever since.

Companies don't need the excuse of going metric/Imperial. Your 500ml bottle of washing up liquid became a 450ml bottle at the same price, your 100g chocolate bar went down to 85g, 12 Jaffa cakes in a pack became 10*, this shit has been going on for at least the last decade. Customers are resistant to price rises so companies sell you less for the same price.

*this was a particularly sore one to take. :(

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Once the Tories introduce the next stage of post-Brexit regulation changes, it will probably be all we can find in the shops.

Crickets and grasshoppers and other insects too.  So what's your problem?

To switch to slagging off Scotland for a change, I was “delighted” to discover that the Orange walk, cancelled in July due to covid, is instead being held in Glasgow today. Of course, “community leaders” have to be given the chance to “commemorate the battle of the boyne.”:mellow:

6 minutes ago, john said:

To switch to slagging off Scotland for a change, I was “delighted” to discover that the Orange walk, cancelled in July due to covid, is instead being held in Glasgow today. Of course, “community leaders” have to be given the chance to “commemorate the battle of the boyne.”:mellow:

Fucking tell me about it.

”we don’t hate catholics, we’re just celebrating out history of persecuting and killing them. Pure coincidence our routes take us past Catholic churches, even on Sunday. The mob following behind in Rangers tops chanting sectarian slurs every march? Nothing to do with us, mate.”

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fucking tell me about it.

”we don’t hate catholics, we’re just celebrating out history of persecuting and killing them. Pure coincidence our routes take us past Catholic churches, even on Sunday. The mob following behind in Rangers tops chanting sectarian slurs every march? Nothing to do with us, mate.”

While I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, playing devil's advocate is it possible to march through Glasgow without going past Catholic churches? 

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

While I have no sympathy for them whatsoever, playing devil's advocate is it possible to march through Glasgow without going past Catholic churches? 

A quick look says there are 19 RC churches and 56 other Christian churches, and another dozen or so temples and synagogues. About 25% of the population is Catholic. Is Glasgow like Belfast? Are the Catholics all located in certain districts?

I was astonished to see the number of Catholics, considering how repressive the Protestants have been in Scotland for centuries.

Toronto had an Orange parade too, a very fancy one when I was a child. King Billy on his fucking white horse. The Protestants finally crawled that one under a rock a couple of decades ago.

eta: oh geez, I had read years ago that the Orange parade had been cancelled. I see the 199th annual parade was held in 2019. It was held in the area of the legislature building, so across the street from St. Michael’s College, the Catholic college that united with others to form the University of Toronto more than a century ago. Bigots gonna bigot, but it’s a tiny thing compared to what it was in the 50s and 60s.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

A quick look says there are 19 RC churches and 56 other Christian churches, and another dozen or so temples and synagogues. About 25% of the population is Catholic. Is Glasgow like Belfast? Are the Catholics all located in certain districts?

I was astonished to see the number of Catholics, considering how repressive the Protestants have been in Scotland for centuries.

Toronto had an Orange parade too, a very fancy one when I was a child. King Billy on his fucking white horse. The Protestants finally crawled that one under a rock a couple of decades ago.

eta: oh geez, I had read years ago that the Orange parade had been cancelled. I see the 199th annual parade was held in 2019. It was held in the area of the legislature building, so across the street from St. Michael’s College, the Catholic college that united with others to form the University of Toronto more than a century ago. Bigots gonna bigot, but it’s a tiny thing compared to what it was in the 50s and 60s.

Glasgow’s Catholic population swelled over the past couple centuries In part due to Irish immigrants (potato famine) and Highlanders dispossessed due to the Clearances. 

The industrial revolution meant there were jobs in shipbuilding, factories and textile mills.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

There have long been very close ties between Glasgow and surrounding parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland, for both the Protestant and Catholic communities - perhaps not too surprising when they're only about 100 miles apart. There has also sadly be a long history of the same sectarian tensions, although at least Scotland was spared the paramilitary violence. They also don't have the 'Peace Walls' separating communities, it isn't the part of Scotland I know best so I don't actually know whether the Catholic population is concentrated in particular neighbourhoods?

'Scotch' is a drink.

As someone who is from that neck of the woods, I know more than I ever wanted to know about the divisions. Scotland was spared the paramilitary violence largely because the support of the communities in the West of Scotland was so important to paramilitaries on both sides, to raise money and smuggle guns (and drugs to pay for the guns). But though there were no bombings or shootings, there was certainly violence.

As for these repellent parades, they should be banned.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

As someone who is from that neck of the woods, I know more than I ever wanted to know about the divisions. Scotland was spared the paramilitary violence largely because the support of the communities in the West of Scotland was so important to paramilitaries on both sides, to raise money and smuggle guns (and drugs to pay for the guns). But though there were no bombings or shootings, there was certainly violence.

Yes, there has certainly been plenty of violence due to this over the years even if not on the same scale as in Northern Ireland.

Archived