UK Politics - We Don’t Want to See Your Papers, Please

john

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

What's a poor boy to do? 

Well, someone who wasn't just here to prove how flawless and clever they are and how important the US of A is in Scottish and Irish history, they are would probably just have gone 'my bad, that's just what they call themselves, I won't use it again though if it's offensive to y'all'. It's not difficult. 

It's funny how you constantly swag around these boards highlighting yourself as a not-typical American, super-culturally educated and shit, yet you're constantly displaying the oblivious,  arrogant lack of thought that is the most stereotypical trait of the stereotypical ignorant American you're swearing yourself not to be. And when someone calls you out on it you complain that you're being put upon. I'm not claiming myself as perfection here and if someone tells me that this morning I'm playing too much personal police and I should leave it to the mods then they may well be right, but fuck, listen to what people are telling you for once. Just for once.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Seeing as Zorral would be the first down anyone’s throat should they mis name any other international community, you’d think a little humility would be appropriate when she did it herself. 

My thoughts exactly, there would be a long aggresive academic thesis on why everyone was wrong, with non of the tolerance/patience others have shown them. 

I really regret starting the Scotch/Scots discussion now, particularly as it has rather overshadowed the more serious point about the Troubles and the connections to Scotland and Americans of Scots and Irish descent. Let's leave it at this:

- Scots these days do not like to be called Scotch. It's not as bad as most ethnic slurs but it's weird and archaic at best.

- Americans who funded either side in the Troubles committed far worse sins than describing themselves as of 'Scotch' descent. Though the root issue in both cases is likely wilful ignorance.

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Did anyone post this yet? Patels face at 38 seconds is fucking magic. 

Roger Gale is a long-standing Tory MP (coming up on 40 years in his seat by the next election) who's usually relatively in lockstep with whatever the government is doing, so him breaking ranks is unusual and a bit of a warning shot across Boris's bow.

I mean, both Gale and Johnson are missing the point a bit really because they're arguing about whether there are enough visas to fix the problem and the solution here, it seems to me, is not about the number of visas. The system is fairly fundamentally broken and Brexit has really just exposed that.

51 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Johnson’s reply … a lot of words to say he doesn’t have a fucking clue and is out of his depth.

You'd have to a screaming cretin to look at that and think, 'Yup, that's the guy I want in charge.'

Unfortunately, England is full of 'em.

So with Britain about to run out of gas and Johnson's goons furiously denying they've been discussing the possibility of implementing a 3-day-week, they are almost certainly going to implement a 3-day-week. I mean, that is usually the way of things with these clowns.

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

So with Britain about to run out of gas and Johnson's goons furiously denying they've been discussing the possibility of implementing a 3-day-week, they are almost certainly going to implement a 3-day-week. I mean, that is usually the way of things with these clowns.

Presumably a pit-stop back to the 70’s on our road back to the 50’s and rationing.

Will be filling freezer with beef and chicken later today. Luckily I’m more of a red wine drinker than beer these days.

Let me recap. You run out of food, beer and gas, nobody is allowed into the country except if you are are rich tourist with hard currency. Your leader is a fat joke. And you are building nuklearish weapons.

Can somebody verify that this is *not* the North Korea threat?

Meanwhile at the primary school where my mother works covid is running rampant: half the children have it after one boy (who had been on holiday with his parents!) returned with it two weeks ago, and now the staff including her are getting infected. The school leadership seems utterly shambolic and of course there's none to be had from the government whose guidelines seem to be "not our problem any more." It feels like the government isn't satisfied with their covid response and all we had to deal with over the past two years of lockdowns just having been pretty fucking useless and half arsed, instead they're driving forward as rapidly as possible with undoing anything it achieved in stopping the spread of the virus. With their spineless mix of cowardice and avaricious callousness the government is instead looking to give the morons all the holidays and shopping they want for one last popular sacrifice to the economy before we all die of plague.

I'm beyond furious.

23 minutes ago, kiko said:

Let me recap. You run out of food, beer and gas, nobody is allowed into the country except if you are are rich tourist with hard currency. Your leader is a fat joke. And you are building nuklearish weapons.

Can somebody verify that this is *not* the North Korea threat?

We also told the people who picked our fruit and veg, and poured our pints to fuck off back to their own countries.

So now we’ve hospitality shortages, and farmers are having to pulp their crops.

If the EU-originating NHS doctors and nurses heed our ‘fuck off’ message too, we’ll be fucked.

But sovereignty…

Edit: “Jeremy Corbyn” writing for satirical news site, The Daily Mash

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/shortages-power-cuts-soaring-inflation-welcome-to-jeremy-corbyns-70s-heaven-20210920212250

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Britons leaving in droves and finding somewhere else in the world to live that is anywhere but Britain?

In the US, where people are run by equal covidiots ans other equal idiots, people we know in Texas are leaving Texas, for New Mexico, when they are fortunate enough to be able to.  Historically, New Mexico has hated Texas from the git go, before either of them were states, i.e. part of the US.

But the thing is, with climate catastrophe, pandemic and politicians insane so common everywhere, havens are few and far between.  This is the massive difference between the catastrophes since WWII and since -- the US is not a safe haven, nor is the UK.  There is none.

ETA:  des culpa regarding an historian's oath to provide context, milieu and corrections wherever necessary.

Archived