UK Politics - We Don’t Want to See Your Papers, Please

john

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Still trying to work out if this is supposed to be satire.

Is anti-Etonian prejudice really OK?

It's The Spectator. So it's supposed to be a really clever point exposing the hypocrisy of the Left and demonstrating the writer's intellectual superiority. Basically a Twitter comment in long form.

31 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

An HGV driver explains why people arent exactly battering down the doors to become one.

That's grim AF.

My sister's man works as an HGV driver for Royal Mail. With OT, he makes about £80k and has a really good pension scheme. Reading that thread about the dangers and challenges faced by HGV drivers, I would say he is one of the lucky ones.

Angela Rayner refusing to back down today:

People seem to be far more concerned with my choice of language than the fact that Boris Johnson has made comments that are racist, homophobic and sexist.

I'm very happy to sit down with Boris. If he withdraws his comments and apologises, I'll be very happy to apologise to him.

Seems fair. 

This is a sound strategy. The more the press shine a light on her over this, the more she can reflect onto Bozo. Keep reminding everyone what a racist, homophobic, misogynistic piece of shit he really is.

I mean, someone in Labour has to do this. If Starmer hasn't got the stomach for it, might as well be Angela.

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Angela Rayner refusing to back down today:

Seems fair. 

This is a sound strategy. The more the press shine a light on her over this, the more she can reflect onto Bozo. Keep reminding everyone what a racist, homophobic, misogynistic piece of shit he really is.

I mean, someone in Labour has to do this. If Starmer hasn't got the stomach for it, might as well be Angela.

Not really, this shows how out of touch she is with the electorate. It’s a total own goal for Labour, might play well with their own supporters but it’s not winning anyone over 

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Not really, this shows how out of touch she is with the electorate. It’s a total own goal for Labour, might play well with their own supporters but it’s not winning anyone over 

As in she should double down on what Boris said to win over the ignorant person vote? 

Do you ever think about what you post? 

7 hours ago, mormont said:

It's The Spectator. So it's supposed to be a really clever point exposing the hypocrisy of the Left and demonstrating the writer's intellectual superiority. Basically a Twitter comment in long form.

Did you just call the Spectator a comedy program for the gammon hipster?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Wow, Starmer is fucking things up quite spectacularly. 

To be fair, if you'd asked me before today I would not have been able to tell you Andy MacDonald was even in the Shadow Cabinet. His impact as Shadow Secretary of State for Employment Rights and Protections has been zero. The impact of his resignation is not likely to be much higher.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Well, Starmer is more interested in getting rid of Labour's left than Boris so...

He can't get rid of BJ without getting rid of them though. Fucking Blyth went tory, Blyth! The party is unelectable while they remain so committed to bullshit causes like cervixgate. 

2 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The party is unelectable while they remain so committed to bullshit causes like cervixgate. 

As awkward as the language around this particular instance sounds, I really don't think calling out bigotry is a bullshit cause, ffs. Transphobia reeks. Starmer should come out stronger in saying that no, no-one should be threatening Rosie Duffield, but TERFism can get in the bin. It's one of those issues you have to fight on surely, and win electability by winning the argument. A while back people would have been saying nah party leaders shouldn't be coming out pro-gay and that was wrong too. 

19 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

As awkward as the language around this particular instance sounds, I really don't think calling out bigotry is a bullshit cause, ffs. Transphobia reeks. Starmer should come out stronger in saying that no, no-one should be threatening Rosie Duffield, but TERFism can get in the bin. It's one of those issues you have to fight on surely, and win electability by winning the argument. A while back people would have been saying nah party leaders shouldn't be coming out pro-gay and that was wrong too. 

All the places we lost that we have to win to be in power disagree with you on this, or at least for them it's an irrelevant issue. I'd rather be compromised and in power than pure in opposition.

40 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

All the places we lost that we have to win to be in power disagree with you on this, or at least for them it's an irrelevant issue. I'd rather be compromised and in power than pure in opposition.

None of those places give a shit about this issue, and hardly any of those voters will even be aware of it. Those that are, and care, were never going to vote for Starmer under any circumstances.

There's being realistic and there's selling out vulnerable people. Never mistake the two.

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Labour’s left are more interested in getting rid of Starmer than Boris I think.

He only has himself to blame. The left gave him a fair shake. He's had more than enough time to prepare his vision for the country. This conference should have seen him set out how he intends to remove what is the most blatantly corrupt and obviously incompetent government this country has ever seen.

Instead, he broke a bunch of promises, and like the world's worst Mister Bean, created a catastrophic car crash full of anger, betrayal, and resentment.

His actions of the past week are the cherry on top of a mountain of evidence demonstrating why it is absolutely fucking critical that the Labour Party launch this Tory-in-The People's-Clothing into the bin of political history as soon as possible.

Archived