UK Politics - We Don’t Want to See Your Papers, Please

john

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It's a very similar issue, in as much as needing to find a whole stack of cash in order to rectify an injustice without increasing productivity or workload.

It’s really not. One is giving people the rewards they have already earned, denied to them by prejudice, the other is fundamentally restructuring the economy, with thought needed to how that affects business viability, pay differentials, and the fact that the costs of such would be disproportionately met by the poor in terms of increased costs on the goods and services they predominantly use. 

That's the problem with the right these days. The world is falling apart. Inequality is at levels never seen before.

But everything is too expensive to fix.

So, sorry children and grandchildren, we're just gonna stick with this ridiculous, destructive system, a system that demands infinite growth of profit and GDP, in a world of finite resources.

i.e. Yes, yes, yes, we know the world is melting. But, no, we're just gonna burn this oil until the oceans boil, etc, etc, etc.

Just now, Spockydog said:

That's the problem with the right these days. The world is falling apart. Inequality is at levels never seen before.

But everything is too expensive to fix.

We're gonna stick with this ridiculous system, a system that demands infinite growth of profit and GDP, in a world where resources are being exhausted.

i.e. Yes, we know the world is melting. But, no, we're just gonna burn this oil until the oceans boil, etc, etc, etc.

This is fucking ridiculous. I’ve lost count of the number of logical fallacies you’re currently employing. Right, no. In favour of gender pay gaps, no. In favour of infinite growth, no. Problems are too expensive to fix, no. Unconcerned about the totally real climate crisis, my personal number one issue, no.

It’s just one pathetic deflection after another when anyone questions your assertion that only you (and Jeremy) know how to fix everything. You have no desire to debate difficult issues with multiple possible options. You’re just here to insult anyone who doesn’t agree with you.

WTF? You literally just accused me of being here just to insult people I disagree with.

Anyway, whatever. I very rarely mean to insult anyone on this messageboard. If my vernacular offends, I apologise. I did not grow up with a silver spoon up my arse. I was dragged up on a council estate and have probably watched far too much Armando Iannucci.

Anyway, I'm off to walk the dog.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

WTF? You literally just accused me of being here just to insult people I disagree with.

Anyway, whatever. I very rarely mean to insult anyone on this messageboard. If my vernacular offends, I apologise. I did not grow up with a silver spoon up my arse. I was dragged up on a council estate and probably have watched far too much Iannucci.

Anyway, I'm off to walk the dog.

I edited and apologised long before you replied. And if you think I grew up with a silver spoon in my mouth in my mouth, you would be very wrong.

4 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I edited and apologised long before you replied. And if you think I grew up with a silver spoon in my mouth in my mouth, you would be very wrong.

Yeah, I was on my phone. Though, perhaps I wouldn't have missed your edit if it had been the same size font and colour as the rest of your post.

Been taking tips from The Mail on how to publish a correction, have we?

:D

Anyway, Maggie is staring at me. Have to go now.

Just now, Spockydog said:

Yeah, I was on my phone. Though, perhaps I wouldn't have missed your edit if it had been the same size font and colour as the rest of your post.

Been taking tips from The Mail on how to publish a correction, have we?

:D

Don’t be ridiculous, I didn’t change the font, that’s the board default, FFS.

9 hours ago, Hereward said:

Don’t be ridiculous, I didn’t change the font, that’s the board default, FFS.

Just to try and shut down further conflict predicated on board mechanics rather than the rest of your disagreement, Herewards text was in the default font size for adding text in the "reason for edit" section of the edit interface, rather than in the body. You can put the text in either location and I wouldn't assume ill intent on the basis of this usage.

ETA: Demonstrating this point. This text was added to the body of the post

And I guess to assert an opinion, I work in IT and personally would put the edit into the body of the post, I see the "reason for edit" is like a commit message in a source control system, it's metadata rather than the actual post. But that's a personal opinion and again, I wouldn't read anything until Herewards usage of it.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Just to try and shut down further conflict predicated on board mechanics rather than the rest of your disagreement, Herewards text was in the default font size for adding text in the "reason for edit" section of the edit interface, rather than in the body. You can put the text in either location and I wouldn't assume ill intent on the basis of this usage.

ETA: Demonstrating this point. This text was added to the body of the post

Aaah, never seen an edit like this before. Thanks for clearing it up. :D

Make it a £30 minimum rather than £30 maximum

Quite honestly though, if people are just topping up on a daily basis, then it's lengthening queues, but it's not actually making the "crisis" any worse, as the overall system is taking as much petrol out as normal.

Whether it's 100 cars taking 50l or 1000 cars taking 5l, doesn't make a difference to how many tankers are needed daily

Just got back from my mum's. Had to listen to her banging on about the DVLA, who, according to her right wing news outlets, are today's owners of responsibility for the fuel crisis.

She seems unable or unwilling to grasp that the DVLA is a government agency, and has been under the control of the Tories since 2010. 

When is anyone from this pathetic excuse of a government, or the people who put them there, going to take responsibility? For anything.

That is a rhetorical question, because we all know they never will. Tomorrow, it will probably somehow be Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Archived