UK Politics - We Don’t Want to See Your Papers, Please

john

40 minutes ago, mormont said:

As you must surely know, the two are very, very different issues. Violent assaults on men and women typically take place in different circumstances for different reasons with different consequences. The main thing they have in common is that the perpetrators are overwhelmingly male.

The majority of assaults on women (and sexual violence) take place behind closed doors. A task force has limited ability to impact that. 

We need a long term strategy of identify and rehabilitating violent offenders early on (who are overwhelmingly male). Catching and locking them up won't change them. 

On a lighter note a yougov poll shows 4% of the population thinks brexit has gone 'very well'. Though that could easily be people thinking its gone 'very well' compared to how bad it has the potential to get. 

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

On a lighter note a yougov poll shows 4% of the population thinks brexit has gone 'very well'. Though that could easily be people thinking its gone 'very well' compared to how bad it has the potential to get. 

Oooh, that many?

I bet I could name at least one of those 4%ers.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Pub chain Wetherspoon reports record loss

Will somebody please think of Tim Martin. On top of all his losses, the poor lamb can't find enough people willing to work in his shitty pubs.

I was sat waiting for a prescription 2 days ago and was told it would be half an hour. 2 years ago I would have popped into the spoons next door for a £1.99 pint. 

That being said, imagine if spoons went out of business and all the clientele were released back into the wild. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Met police response to Sarah Everard abduction 'we will no longer do something which we literally have never ever done (single crewed plain clothes officers)'. 

There should be some kind of inquiry to determine why he wasn't arrested for those indecent exposure incidents. If he had, perhaps Everard would still be alive today.

Someone needs to get the sack. And, if it is proven that there was any kind of lets-look-after-our-own-by-looking-the-other-way stuff going on, then somebody should really go to jail.

Hmmm. Intellectual titan and all-round tosspot, Ian Duncan Smith, is today calling for Article 16 to be invoked, and the Northern Ireland protocol suspended.

Someone should remind him that not only did he vote for it, he pushed hard to get the bill rushed through the Commons. Perhaps he should have read it first, the twunt.

Also, you cannot simultaneously claim that Johnson's Brexit deal has been a rip-roaring success, whilst also claiming that Johnson's Brexit deal is causing “serious economic, societal or environmental difficulties or diversion of trade.”

Which is it, ffs?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Someone needs to get the sack. And, if it is proven that there was any kind of lets-look-after-our-own-by-looking-the-other-way stuff going on, then somebody should really go to jail.

People really overestimate the amount of corruption and massively underestimate the amount of incompetence in the police. 

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

People really overestimate the amount of corruption and massively underestimate the amount of incompetence in the police. 

Well, yeah. But this particular case of incompetence allowed a woman to be murdered. And it didn't happen just the once.

Surely there has to be repercussions for someone?

ETA: A former Chief Inspector on the radio said it would have been the simplest thing in the world for officers to link Couzen to the cars used in the incidents where he exposed himself. The dude couldn't offer any explanation, at all, as to why this didn't happen. That's why there needs to be an inquiry.

I am most gobsmacked at the comment by the North Yorkshire police commissioner:

So women, first of all, need to be streetwise about when they can be arrested and when they can't be arrested. She should never have been arrested and submitted to that,

Perhaps women need to consider in terms of the legal process, to just learn a bit about that legal process.

That is taking victim blaming to a whole new level. He should resign, not just "retract his comments as they were insensitive"

His comments are bad but they're the logical extension of what Cressida Dick and her officers are saying, which is basically: women, if you're stopped by the police and you're suspicious, it is your responsibility to make yourself safe.

Not one word about changes to police recruitment, training, culture: no new laws being proposed, either. There'll be no 'Sarah's law' that mandates tougher sentences for police abusing their powers (useless without new money to fund the courts anyway). Just blather about how women should ask to see a warrant card (which of course Couzens had, and showed his victim), argue with the person claiming to be police (that never turns bad), and if all else fails, scream.

26 minutes ago, A wilding said:

I am most gobsmacked at the comment by the North Yorkshire police commissioner:

That is taking victim blaming to a whole new level. He should resign, not just "retract his comments as they were insensitive"

I know a significance number of police officers that don't understand their powers of arrest. How the fuck are 'women' going to know/learn them? 

At least he isn't actually police I suppose. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

His comments are bad but they're the logical extension of what Cressida Dick and her officers are saying, which is basically: women, if you're stopped by the police and you're suspicious, it is your responsibility to make yourself safe.

Not one word about changes to police recruitment, training, culture: no new laws being proposed, either. There'll be no 'Sarah's law' that mandates tougher sentences for police abusing their powers (useless without new money to fund the courts anyway). Just blather about how women should ask to see a warrant card (which of course Couzens had, and showed his victim), argue with the person claiming to be police (that never turns bad), and if all else fails, scream.

I'm not really sure what the police are meant to be advising? Whether you're a woman or man, if you're in a vulnerable position with someone you think is a danger (whether they're claiming to be police or not), I'm not sure how many other options you have. Not many good ones. 

If you're suspicious, then yes, its your only choice to try and make yourself safe. Is Batman meant to come down from the heavens to save you? 

How on earth is police training/culture meant to help if its someone impersonating police, or a police officer planning on breaking the law? I mean, I don't have a high opinion of police but even I don't think their culture promotes rape and murder. 

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

They definitely underestimate the amount of incompetence in all organisations. I'm not sure they overestimate corruption, especially petty corruption. I think they probably underestimate it. 

What I really don't get, is how you can have case after case showing police corruption (most not as extreme as this), but police around the world are still deemed automatically reliable witnesses in court. 

4 hours ago, ants said:

I'm not really sure what the police are meant to be advising? Whether you're a woman or man, if you're in a vulnerable position with someone you think is a danger (whether they're claiming to be police or not), I'm not sure how many other options you have. Not many good ones. 

If you're suspicious, then yes, its your only choice to try and make yourself safe. Is Batman meant to come down from the heavens to save you? 

How on earth is police training/culture meant to help if its someone impersonating police, or a police officer planning on breaking the law? I mean, I don't have a high opinion of police but even I don't think their culture promotes rape and murder. 

They definitely underestimate the amount of incompetence in all organisations. I'm not sure they overestimate corruption, especially petty corruption. I think they probably underestimate it. 

They should be advising nothing. One officer has used their warrant card to abduct someone in the last 192 years as far as I'm aware. 

Archived