The Second Sleep by Robert Harris

Ordos

I recently learned of this book published in 2019. The plot is very fascinating and I want purchase this book as soon as I can on Amazon. There is an early twist in the book that makes it very difficult not to give any spoilers. I've read that this is a genre bending novel. I cannot say more lest I give the twist away except that I agree.

The story is what at first appears to be a medieval mystery book. Set in 1468 in England, a priest named Christopher Fairfax is on his way on horseback to a remote village to conduct the funeral for another priest recently deceased. When he's arrives he discovers that the dead priest was a heretic. He was also a collector of ancient artifacts and books that reveal a suppressed past. Throughout the early pages as you read, you get the sense that things are not what they appear to be on the surface. Something is off so to speak.

The title refers to a sleep pattern from the middle ages where somebody would go to bed early in the evening, wake up in the middle of the night and go about doing things including leaving the house and then going back to bed and sleeping again. Once you read the book, you'll understand the broader meaning to the title.

I admit that I was too curious and read the online reviews that gave away the twist without hesitation. Still, I am curious how the story progresses and if there is anything else beyond the twist.

Others may give away the twist if they want to but I won't. Anyone here already read this book? Would you recommend?

Thank you for the heads-up on this book - I have reserved a copy based on your recommendation.

My only hesitation is that I have found Robert Harris's more recent, modern stuff to be less interesting than his earlier works on WWII and Roman history.  His stuff from the 90s was good enough to remind me of Frederick Forsyth, and then Pompeii and the Cicero Trilogy were outstanding.  Some of the books since such as Ghost have not drawn me in nearly as well.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, Wilbur said:

Thank you for the heads-up on this book - I have reserved a copy based on your recommendation.

My only hesitation is that I have found Robert Harris's more recent, modern stuff to be less interesting than his earlier works on WWII and Roman history.  His stuff from the 90s was good enough to remind me of Frederick Forsyth, and then Pompeii and the Cicero Trilogy were outstanding.  Some of the books since such as Ghost have not drawn me in nearly as well.

Do tell what you thought. I will get my copy in a little over a month if all goes well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 12:29 AM, Wilbur said:

I got through the first five or six chapters and then set it aside.  To that point, neither the story nor the characters had really interested me all that much.

Pity. I am six chapters away from finishing and I am hooked. 

Archived