The Death of WoW

litechick

I don't know if anybody here is a World of Warcraft fan.  I played for 6ish years, just quit recently, and I'm not quite over the withdraw pains.  I wish I still played but I know that quitting was the right thing to do.

Anybody interested in talking about it?

I played WoW from just before Burning Crusade until the very end of Pandaria. I started off with a Warrior toon, soon ditched him for a Warlock because Warriors sucked at solo adventuring (back then) and eventually ditched the Warlock for a Death Knight when Wrath of the Lich King came out. The Death Knight (a female forsaken called Invernalia, which is Spanish for Winterfell), became my main (and only, as I never kept up with more than one toon).

I sunk a lot of hours into the game (there was a way of seeing how many, but I think I'd rather not know...). I was in a Guild and we raided 5 days a week from 22:00 to 00:30. We were not very successful, but we were serious, and one was expected to show up for the raid with full stacks of consumables and having read/watched the guide to the bosses.

Eventually I simply decided it was taking up too much of my time and depriving me of sleep I needed if I was to get up early to go to work the next day (I also didn't really like the direction the plot was taking, with all the Horde leaders breaking bad and having to be taken down). I told my guild I was giving up raiding, but I'd still be around to help with dungeons and stuff, but for some reason, I just never logged back in to the game after that last raiding night. It was a clean break.

I don't know what you mainly got from the game, but tabletop RPGs like D&D and rogue-like computer games definitely scratch that itch for me and aren't so much of a time sink.

I think I spent about 9 months playing it solidly for about 4-5 hours a day. I don't think I ever got too far, because I'm not a grindy player and just wanted to experience the world and all the sights. It was my first MMO experience and there was something really magical about those first few days playing, like it was a whole new thing that could really suck me in.

But then I realised that I was either going to take it too seriously and lose my actual social life, or I would play it incredibly casually to the point of not making any progress.. so I just ditched it. I'm really glad I did. This was probably about Frozen Throne time and I check the WoW news every now and again to see how the game is doing, and by all accounts its a rocky ride. 

I often fantasise about starting it up again, but I just have to adult these days and don't have time. Which is a good thing.

WoW is the great game of my life.  I still maintain my sub though I don't often play.  I can't play everyday anymore so I can't keep up.  I still occasionally log in just to hear the ambient sounds and jump around doing a quest or two.  Last couple times I logged in it was very quiet.  It is sad because I do have a fairly significant emotional attachment to the game world.  There was a time when BlizzCon was my number one dream vacation trip.

Gameplay-wise, WoW is still overall the best out there.  I hope they get their shit together and can have some sort of resurgence.

I always played a ton of characters and would typically main one or two at a time.  Eventually my favorite classes settled as Rogue, Warlock and Hunter.  I also enjoyed DK and Mage.  I like all of them to an extent.      

I played waaay too much when I was an undergrad back in 2004-2006. Ended up main tanking an end game guild through to Naxx. All fell apart in TBC with the shift from 40 mans, and guild drama around the A and B teams.

I played a few more expansions with some friends after that. Always levelling to the new max level and running through the first few raids. Had close to 365 days /played last time I logged on to that warrior.

Still keep in touch with some of the friends I made back those days. 

I was serious at it for the PvP grind prior to tBC. Getting near... Grand Warlord or whatever the top Horde spot was taking 12-16 hours a day of constant Warsong Gulch.  Never really recovered from that and occasionally pop in for a month to see the story when I skip a couple expansions.  I found it hilarious that Game of Thrones essentially ripped off shot for shot Ysera getting turned evil in Legion.  Legion had decent storylines, the stuff since has been dogshit.  (To be honest the stuff prior was dogshit after Northrend anyways.)  Doubt I'll go back.

• 3 weeks later...

Shadowlands expansion has made Warcraft an unsupportable effort for me now.  Probably because I have so many alts that I feel need to do everything on all of them.  Everything has been turned into a grind now, and the need to continually do stuff in the hideous zone that is the Maw and Torghast means the game is minimally enjoyable now.  I will probably level all my toons to lvl 60 and leave it there.

I think my only real contact to Warcraft now is occasionally dipping into Hearthstone. But that game has been continuously made worse each expansion as well. I’m wondering if this is a general Blizzard problem, I mean given all the internal crap that’s been going on there, is it affecting all of their games?

6 hours ago, Arataniello said:

Everything... a grind now, and the need to continually do stuff...   I will probably level all my toons to lvl 60 and leave it there.

Funny... that redacted version pretty much describes the game in the early days!!!  :lol:  

My ex wife and I spent entirely too much time in our short marriage playing WoW.  To be honest, I don't know if our marriage failed because of WoW... or if we stayed together a year or two longer than we would have otherwise because we didn't want to break up the guild!  :lol:  

Have very fond memories of those raids.  My experience mirrored @Impmk2 very much with a fun guild running the 40 man raids that then broke up into three different guilds over the shrinkage to 10 man Karazhan and expansion to 25 man Gruul's Lair.  Just logistically a nightmare.

Its funny, my wife and I were 28ish at the time we were playing and running with kids who were seniors in high school or in college.  As social media exploded after those early days, its hard for me to watch them get married and have kids of their own.

So I got into WoW because of a whole bunch of people on these boards, including my wife.

We played seriously through BC and WotLK. WotLK coincided with the birth of my first son, so I ended up cutting back - and missing it greatly, and then joining a guild dedicated to doing seriously hardcore raiding but only 8 hours a week. We ended up getting LK down and something like US 250th, which was pretty decent given the lack of playing we had. 

Because I don't do anything by half-measures and I am a verbose motherfucker, I ended up writing a blog about WoW which got picked up on Wowinsider and a few other sites:

http://wowthinktank.blogspot.com/

Never got into WoW despite a few tries.

My ‘big’ MMO was Ultima Online (which went live in 1997 and is atill running!), which I joined in August 2000 with the crappest internet going. It’s Free to Play now so I occasionally log in for a wee nostalgic wander. I’ve characters older than some boarders on this forum!

I don't so much think of myself as a WoW fan, but, rather, as a Warcraft fan. I played Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness and Beyond the Dark Portal, Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne. I got hyped about the Warcraft MMORPG, which came out while I was in college, and I played this newfangled WoW game. It was fun. I also participated in the lore forums discussing and speculating about the latest story developments. I even wrote a giant ass fan guide for roleplayers about Gilneas, my favorite human nation, based on everything that could be dug up using in-game, manuals, or even novels, comics, and short story materials. But a lot about the game was really starting to wear me down, particularly the toxic fanbase who were constantly whining about Horde or Alliance favoritism or even people whining about the lore. It kind of zapped a lot of my general love for the game away. 

Around 2010-2011, I ended up getting involved in the Guild Wars 2 community and its betas. I enjoyed my play experiences tremendously, especially not having to worry about factions, grinding top level gear, or the whole subscription thing. The play model was far more to my preferences. So gradually I moved on to Guild Wars 2 despite my love for the Warcraft franchise. I occasionally stuck my head back in WoW and played a bit, much as I did during WoD, Legion, and BfA. But apart from Legion, the game didn't have the magic for me that it once did either in terms of its lore or gameplay. Plus, my partner plays SWTOR. So I began playing SWTOR alongside him as well, much as he also began playing Guild Wars 2. 

So the "death of WoW" is a bit like with friends and aquaintances. You make new friends, and sometimes you drift apart from your old friends, even if you still carry found memories of your times together. 

Sadly I missed the boat on World of Warcraft; never played it, despite Warcraft II and Warcraft III being two of my favorite games.

I was keen to play World of Warcraft Classic but it feels like I'm ten years too late.

Archived