Canadian Politics : Getting the right jab

maarsen

I have just been listening to CBC news about Ontario changing laws and regulations to allow skilled foreign workers to become qualified to work in Ontario. I think the plan is to use their experience  in their home country to see if they qualify here. Medical workers will not be covered under this initiative. Which brings me to my point. Nurses in the US are allowed to work here as the exam they write is the same one Canadian nursing students write to become RNs. RNs in Ontario have to take a 4 year university program to graduate while in the US, only two years are required. Ontario also has a 2 year RPN (Registered Practical Nurse) program take at colleges, who can then take an extra 2 years at university to upgrade to being an RN.

Now if an RPN goes to say Texas, she/ he is then considered qualified to write the RN exam. She can then come back to Ontario and have her license recognized. Considering RPNs are paid 60% of what an RN makes here in Ontario one wonders why more don't take this route.

Interesting @maarsen. Both me and my partner are unqualified in Ontario so this could be a welcome change from a self-centered perspective.

Separately, Canada yesterday crossed the coveted 90% mark of eligible people with at least one vaccination. This is something to be proud of. But hopefully with vaccine mandates about to hit a number of industries, that number can climb even higher before the weather turns cold. 

In terms of double vaccinations, we are set to hit the 90% mark in early December. 

• 2 weeks later...

So for those who aren't aware the Canadian flag has been at half-mast for a while because of the discovered mass graves at residential schools. After some consultation how to handle the flag for Indigenous Veteran's Day and Remembrance Day has been agreed upon.

And this is the part where I need to remind myself that the internet isn't real life because there's a whole bunch of people pissed off that the flag was lowered as long as it was or at all. Because murdered children aren't worth it I guess. Fuck I hate people sometimes.

Weird story going around about a “mystery neurological illness” in NB. Must be a quack?

A U of T doctor has said that one of the supposed sufferers does not have a new illness, but is suffering the after effects of a previous concussion and anxiety.

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

Weird story going around about a “mystery neurological illness” in NB. Must be a quack?

A U of T doctor has said that one of the supposed sufferers does not have a new illness, but is suffering the after effects of a previous concussion and anxiety.

Yes, I mentioned this ages ago. It sounds pretty awful, a brain disease that is killing the patients, 9 so far, I think. About 50 people have been diagnosed. They’ve tested them for everything they can think of. They think it might be related to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yes, I mentioned this ages ago. It sounds pretty awful, a brain disease that is killing the patients, 9 so far, I think. About 50 people have been diagnosed. They’ve tested them for everything they can think of. They think it might be related to Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.

Right, but NB public health officials are questioning whether these cases are actually linked.

No doubt there is some real human suffering here, but the actual existence of the novel illness seems to be legitimately in question. The same neurologist has treated basically all the patients.

7 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Wasn't that you studying prions back in the day Pax, or are my wires getting crossed?

Haha not me! I’m a financial regulation guy work wise. I know my P+Ls and my purchasing power parities…but not my prions :P. 

Ford deciding to go with the cautious approach again and delaying the full reopening of nightclubs, event venues, weddings etc.

A fair enough move given the current uptick in cases. Though I do have sympathy for the affected businesses as other venues like gyms and restaurants are now operating at full capacity.

Between Kenney eating crow, re: 10.00 per day daycare, while also getting ribbed by the PM, to O'Toole essentially getting put on notice by batshit Batters... it's been a decent day in Cdn Poli. 

BC is a mess right now though on the environmental front though... :(

36 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Between Kenney eating crow, re: 10.00 per day daycare, while also getting ribbed by the PM, to O'Toole essentially getting put on notice by batshit Batters... it's been a decent day in Cdn Poli. 

BC is a mess right now though on the environmental front though... :(

How is the rain situation for you?

It’s not raining hard, but out of the last 20 or so days in the Comox Valley here it’s been raining for like 17 of them, so lots of water [and I’m glad I got a new perimeter drainage system] but we haven’t dealt with anything like what the lower mainland up to Merritt has been dealing with the last 24 hours. Yikes

So… probably fortunate I filled up yesterday morning before taking the girls to school— as of yesterday afternoon the Island is on fuel rations [30 litres max per not-even-close-to-fill] until December.

Saw some lines already this morning. Crazy.

This Front Burner podcast is a good primer for anyone who isn't familiar with the BC/RCMP Wet'suwet'en shitshow.

I don't understand how this shit continues in this day, where previously acknowledged hereditary and sovereign rights are ignored by the BC Supreme Court in-lieu of the granted injunction, but here we are, second verse, same as the first. 

Subsequent to this heating up again in the last week, RCMP have admitted they've been following [don't like what that implies] the two journalists they arrested at the camp the other day.  

I donated to the Wet'suwet'en camp, and am considering another civil-but-angry phone call to local government. 

I tried calling about the lack of doctors here on the island. I called about being three blocks out of a medical catchment area. They got bored by calls and e- mails. I got told to beg for a doctor( about my issues with cancer). I got told that there would be changes for the next people with cancer( but my care still sucks…in that I will have to try to rustle up my own follow up care)

I'm sorry to hear that.

Definitely an issue on the Island. It took me almost 5 months to get a family doc, and while doing our meet and greet he said they often field calls from more populated parts of the Island by people willing to travel hours just to have a doc.  

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I gather US late night hosts are making fun of Trudeau and the fact he and wife Sophie are now living apart. No one in Canadian media have mentioned this.

Given all the conspiracy theories about just that I'm surprised I haven't seen the conservatives talking about just that. What happened? Are they separated or is this just an issue of circumstance?

Archived