Canadian Politics : Getting the right jab

maarsen

45 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Ontario's vaccine booking site is absolutely ridiculous.  Feels like it's not even connecting to a database of availability because every single possibility says Zero shots available.  Even after an hour of trying it finds a local site with 1 available shot and if I click on it in microseconds it still says "Andddd.... it's gone." 

Clearly Peel Region knows the Ontario site is trash too.  It made it's own site but so far it's only for 50+.  Maybe by the time of my 50th b-day next December I can get one.

Oh? If Peel has a 50+ site I may try to book an earlier appointment there. When I first tried booking I was shuffled off to March, but then they announced more spaces would be available and I booked an appointment for February 2 at Cloverdale Mall. I immediately went back in to book an appointment for my brother and the first available date was Feb. 8. That took a minute, one damn minute, or less.

I am so bloody pissed off with the Ontario government just opening it up to everyone immediately, when they didn’t have the spaces and they didn’t have vaccine. As much as I realize everyone wants their shot ASAP, it’s still older people who are dying. Why open it up to everyone at once? They should have let people older than 50 have a month to book and then opened it up to, say everyone over 30, then everyone else. All the over 50s would likely be done already. There are 2.65 M people over 50 in Ontario and there have been 2.77 M booster shots given already. Not all over-50s are vaccinated and not all could have gotten their shit together quickly, but I bet you could have every one who wants a booster done and still have done all the special personnel.

8 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh? If Peel has a 50+ site I may try to book an earlier appointment there.

Yeah, worth a shot.  The website is not even linked from the Peel government site so you won't find it there.
This is it https://booking-peel.secure.force.com/

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Ontario's vaccine booking site is absolutely ridiculous.  Feels like it's not even connecting to a database of availability because every single possibility says Zero shots available.  Even after an hour of trying it finds a local site with 1 available shot and if I click on it in microseconds it still says "Andddd.... it's gone." 

Clearly Peel Region knows the Ontario site is trash too.  It made it's own site but so far it's only for 50+.  Maybe by the time of my 50th b-day next December I can get one.

Go for the pharmacies. I got onto wait lists pretty easily for both Rexall and Shoppers and they had availability for January (you can sign up for multiple wait lists to hedge your bets).

I must confess though that in the end I drove to Buffalo for mine. Got the shot in 5 mins at a walk in community centre. Unfortunately that’s no longer an option as short visits to the US are not exempt from testing requirements any more…

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh? If Peel has a 50+ site I may try to book an earlier appointment there. When I first tried booking I was shuffled off to March, but then they announced more spaces would be available and I booked an appointment for February 2 at Cloverdale Mall. I immediately went back in to book an appointment for my brother and the first available date was Feb. 8. That took a minute, one damn minute, or less.

I am so bloody pissed off with the Ontario government just opening it up to everyone immediately, when they didn’t have the spaces and they didn’t have vaccine. As much as I realize everyone wants their shot ASAP, it’s still older people who are dying. Why open it up to everyone at once? They should have let people older than 50 have a month to book and then opened it up to, say everyone over 30, then everyone else. All the over 50s would likely be done already. There are 2.65 M people over 50 in Ontario and there have been 2.77 M booster shots given already. Not all over-50s are vaccinated and not all could have gotten their shit together quickly, but I bet you could have every one who wants a booster done and still have done all the special personnel.

4 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Yes, it is totally ridiculous. They don't have enough boosters or testing capacity.

My parents both were able to book, but not until sometime in February.

Unfortunately they both tested positive today on a RMT at a testing site. Even getting that test booked was ridiculous.

They seem to be doing OK, and getting over the symptoms at least.blockquote widgetlockquote widget

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

Go for the pharmacies. I got onto wait lists pretty easily for both Rexall and Shoppers and they had availability for January (you can sign up for multiple wait lists to hedge your bets).

I must confess though that in the end I drove to Buffalo for mine. Got the shot in 5 mins at a walk in community centre. Unfortunately that’s no longer an option as short visits to the US are not exempt from testing requirements any more…

I tried the government sites too and found them to be a complete time waster. We got our boosters at a pharmacy where the procedure was so much simpler. 

Hope your parents are all good @LOON.

A reasonable proportion of my friendship group received positive results recently and everyone is doing fine so far. I'm thankful that this wave has hit us during a post-vaccine phase. 

On 12/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, Paxter said:

Hope your parents are all good @LOON.

A reasonable proportion of my friendship group received positive results recently and everyone is doing fine so far. I'm thankful that this wave has hit us during a post-vaccine phase. 

Thanks. Hope yours are good too.

Seems like a lot of people are having that same experience as you. I know more people now that have tested positive than at any point since March 2020.

And now as of tomorrow, Ontario is totally giving up on testing for anyone that isn't in health care or LTC.

Employers don't need to report cases to be PHU anymore in many regions.

Start of school delayed by two days to January 5th so that they can get "better masks" (N95) to teachers.

Isolation requirements reduced to 5 days for vaccinated and children under 12.

ICUs and hospitalizations have spiked since last week.

Hope we good.

The waiting lists for Rexall and Shoppers so far haven't gotten me a jab, but I can cancel both now that the Brampton Soccer centre has opened up slots and I have one booked for next Friday.  :thumbsup:  

And surprise surprise i booked it through the Ontario portal.  I took whatever popped up first, which turned out to be in Caledon, then tried again and got the soccer centre, so it automatically cancelled the Caledon one.

I booked booster shots for both my brother and I for Friday at 10:00 am at my doctor’s office. They have an internet messaging board and when I saw an email pop up on my phone this morning I immediately checked to see if it was about booster shots. 

Now I have to cancel my February appointments and cancel my places in waiting lists.

On 12/30/2021 at 5:30 PM, Lord of Oop North said:

ICUs and hospitalizations have spiked since last week.

Hope we good.

Too early to say isn’t it. So far the ICU and deaths numbers (and ventilators numbers) are way down on previous experiences. But the sheer magnitude of the current caseload could change that. 

Plus this time the health care system is under more pressure from staff absences, which I think was a major factor in Ford’s latest decision.

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

Plus this time the health care system is under more pressure from staff absences, which I think was a major factor in Ford’s latest decision.

It's not just absence. Don't let Ford's misuse of the absenteeism word fool you. Most hospitals were shorthanded already prior to this surge.

There were significant staff reductions in the health care sector prior to the pandemic. There were layoffs since he took office in 2018.

Over the last 22 months, more and more medical staff have been quitting and leaving hospitals for better working environments.

Over the last twenty years, the provincial governments have criminally neglected our system. There are more administrators, less frontline staff. Frozen salaries. Chronic understaffing. Forced OT. Unapproved vacation time. No breaks or lunches. Constant abuse from patients and families with no consequences. When I speak to my uncle (paramedic), aunt and cousin (ICU nurses) and friends (nurses) - I am beyond horrified and furious. 

We shouldn't be surprised by any "absences", because our system treats these people like dogshit.

His fucking crocodile tears yesterday put me over the edge. These bastards have made zero investment in the system over the last 22 months, and have actively worked against it (Bill 124). Likely to pave the way for future privatizations.

The incompetence is staggering. There was not even five days between these two announcements, and they flipped from a-OK and "50% of daily hospitalizations are not COVID related, just positive for COVID" to a "tsunami of cases" and "thousands of hospitalizations a day".

Just unbelievable.

On the bright side, election is 5 months away. Let's all sharpen our knives.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So some Canadians are trying to give us from the USA YAY a run for the money on the utterly irresponsible asshole front:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/01/07/canadian-group-stuck-in-mexico-party-flight/

People all across the country have been saying, hey look, we have assholes too!

And have been snarling, like wolves.

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

So some Canadians are trying to give us from the USA YAY a run for the money on the utterly irresponsible asshole front:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/01/07/canadian-group-stuck-in-mexico-party-flight/

You don’t have to throw in a dig towards the USA in every political discussion.

It reeks of  American exceptionalism. 

11 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

t reeks of  American exceptionalism. 

But we USA YAY are exceptional!  U can't do any thing 'bout that!  :lol: :cheers:

Plus, u no, Canadian are also Americans, as are Mexicans and Braslians and Cubans, etc. so we R all exceptional YAY!

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

But we USA YAY are exceptional!  U can't do any thing 'bout that!  :lol: :cheers:

it’s arrogant for US citizens to suppose everything around the world good or bad has to trace back how America is doing.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Plus, u no, Canadian are also Americans, as are Mexicans and Braslians and Cubans, etc. so we R all exceptional YAY!

Ha. Sarcastic pedantry. 

The reason I write this way is because, if what I am writing is critical about another country, I want to communicate that I am not sneering at the country because I cannot sneer, when my own is just as bad.

It was a jokey way of saying that -- a joke in a very dark time -- prison humor even --  considering to whom I was addressing -- who seem to understand these things -- that it was a dark comedy kind of jokey address that comes out of the tragedy that we all know it isn't everybody in our respective nations who are assholes but enough are assholes that the rest of us are suffering, and suffering more all the time.

I didn't realize certain people are so tone communication deaf that they don't recognize that kind of rhetorical mode.

You understand now though, right? Added to emphasize, that I am making fun of myself and my country, very sadly, sadly that it is necessary, due that unbridgeable gap between what we in my country proclaim ourselves to be, and what we, so many of us, are.

Another addition -- with your first response I thought you were participating in that national back-and-forth between two very close national neighbors.  And so I first responded to you in that mode. I am so disappointed that I was wrong about your response.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

The reason I write this way is because, if what I am writing is critical about another country, I want to communicate that I am not sneering at the country because I cannot sneer, when my own is just as bad.

I find this reasoning unsatisfactory and needlessly defective. For example any Canadian critical of China’s current genocide of the Uyigurs doesn’t need to always include a condemnation of Canada for its poor treatment of the indigenous population.

And if they include the condemnation in every discussion about other countries it comes off as trying to turn every discussion about Canada

It was a jokey way of saying that -- a joke in a very dark time -- prison humor even

It was a jokey way of saying that -- a joke in a very dark time -- prison humor even --  considering to whom I was addressing -- who seem to understand these things -- that it was a dark comedy kind of jokey address that comes out of the tragedy that we all know it isn't everybody in our respective nations who are assholes but enough are assholes that the rest of us are suffering, and suffering more all the time.

I understand you made a joke. I simply disagree with the point of it.

Varys reminds me of a child, who, having not met the stage of complex reasoning, cannot understand humor. It is quite tedious to explain jokes. It is possible that Varys is only able to employ a sneering, aggressive, critical, interrogative style. Probably, this person is too fearful of presenting original ideas and can only use interrogation. Is that all you have? We’re you brought up this way? Do you you have anything interesting to say for yourself on any topic?

Archived