Canadian Politics : Getting the right jab

maarsen

He  criticizes the US all the time, particularly about matters about which he knows little -- even the history or how the different parts of government and elections and the courts are supposed to work, the corruption and violence of the policing, the racism, etc. -- yet for some reason someone who lives in the US, whose family have been in the US since the end of the 18th C, isn't entitled to criticize our country, to express grief and fear at what it's become,  because he says so? "I don't see the point of it."  :dunno: 

Speaking of Canadian idiots, at least 27 of them have made it back. I tried to find out how, but the only thing I saw was 4  different airlines were involved and the name of the airlines wasn’t disclosed. Air Canada released a statement saying that since Sunwing hadn't released a passenger manifest, it was hard to determine if people had been on that flight.

3 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Varys reminds me of a child, who, having not met the stage of complex reasoning, cannot understand humor.

possibly.

4 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

It is quite tedious to explain jokes.

Thr far right often uses the defense “just joking” to invalidate any criticism to be had of their rhetoric and the reason they're making their jokes.

Varys is only able to employ a sneering, aggressive, critical, interrogative style.

Honestly I think it Depends on the discussion and person I'm interacting with. And I don't necessarily see the intrinsic problem with the utilization of any of that. 

Probably, this person is too fearful of presenting original ideas and can only use interrogation.

Possibly. I'm not particularly original in most of beliefs. Hell even my criticism of Zorral has been made in a UK thread where the topic was on an incel mass shooting months ago.

Is that all you have? We’re you brought up this way?

Possibly and boredom.

Do you you have anything interesting to say for yourself on any topic?

Interesting is in the eye of the beholder lol. 

Though I promise to stop here as to continue would needlessly derail the thread. If this post gets deleted I completely understand.

Canadian health worker teaches the internet a necessary lesson (not that it really will take it to heart; internet has no heart, coz it hearts its outrage).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/11/canada-snow-shovel-jon-reyes-cynthia/

"A Canadian politician’s photo of his wife shoveling snow sparked outrage. She says: ‘I just wanted to.’"

.... Now, the woman at the center of the social media (snow) storm has hit back, writing in a lengthy Facebook post late Monday: “I just wanted to Shovel!”

Cynthia Reyes wrote that she arrived home early Saturday morning after her nursing shift, while the rest of her household was still asleep.

“As I pulled up to my driveway, I felt energy to shovel the snow that fell all night and into the morning,” she explained, adding that she thought of it as a “great workout,” a chance to unwind and a “refre

shing” outdoor activity after wearing an N95 mask for most of her shift. “Most importantly, I enjoy it.” ....

“Jon heard me shovelling, it actually woke him up and he was surprised and impressed to see that I had energy after a long shift to do this, so he took a pic, made breakfast and posted, and the rest is embedded in social media history forever!” she continued.

One can understand that after a long shift dealing with unvaxed assholes and their screaming families, shoveling snow might be the perfect unwind for body and soul, before getting breakfast and well deserved rest.

Instead it sparks yet more victims of the “What did I say? I was talking and I forgot,” syndrome. Which goes right along with “I never read this, I never heard about this, I don’t know anything about this, but here is what you should think, do and say coz I say so. And if you don’t do as I say I will throw a Rumple-stilt-skin tantrum.” Lordessa are there a lot of that spawn on the internet!

8 minutes ago, Lord of Oop North said:

People need to seriously chill-out. If she wanted to shovel snow, who cares.

Exactly! I’ve come home after having a long day or a shitty day and I’ve said, where’s that damn shovel, and cleared the walkways and the driveway.

17 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Exactly! I’ve come home after having a long day or a shitty day and I’ve said, where’s that damn shovel, and cleared the walkways and the driveway.

I have done it after nights shifts and I would say I'm an inherently lazy person.

It is a great way to unwind for some reason .

On 1/11/2022 at 8:54 AM, Zorral said:

Canadian health worker teaches the internet a necessary lesson (not that it really will take it to heart; internet has no heart, coz it hearts its outrage).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/11/canada-snow-shovel-jon-reyes-cynthia/

"A Canadian politician’s photo of his wife shoveling snow sparked outrage. She says: ‘I just wanted to.’"

One can understand that after a long shift dealing with unvaxed assholes and their screaming families, shoveling snow might be the perfect unwind for body and soul, before getting breakfast and well deserved rest.

Instead it sparks yet more victims of the “What did I say? I was talking and I forgot,” syndrome. Which goes right along with “I never read this, I never heard about this, I don’t know anything about this, but here is what you should think, do and say coz I say so. And if you don’t do as I say I will throw a Rumple-stilt-skin tantrum.” Lordessa are there a lot of that spawn on the internet!

I do wonder how people would react if the genders were reversed.

I can't help but feel but there's a bit of sexism here. Like if a female politician remarked on her male nurse husband shoves snow after work people would stick to praising the husband than being outraged.

ICU occupancy fell today in Ontario for the first time in quite a while (from 579 to 578), suggesting that we may be at or near the Omicron peak in terms of severe illness (or at least the first peak after the holiday season). 

For comparison, this was a much higher ICU peak than the same time last year, though fatalities are roughly half as bad (thank you vaccines). I guess that is where the "for" vs "with" distinction comes into play. The Spring 2021 outbreak still easily takes the cake in terms of ICU occupancy in Ontario (at around 900 patients in early May). 

• 2 weeks later...

What is this trucker convoy nonsense?  Is it as stupid as it looks?

Edit:  Oh, it's stupider.  Far right groups hope trucker convoy is Canada's "January 6"

Referring to the 2021 riot at the U.S. Capitol building events in Washington last January, he said: “I want to see one of those truckers … None of our guys (involved), obviously. But I’d like to see our own January 6 event. … See some of those truckers plough right through that 16 foot wall.”

:bang:

One of the groups associated with the event, Canada Unity, has produced a pseudo-legalistic “memorandum of understanding” they plan to present to Gov. General Mary Simon and the Senate, which they mistakenly believe would force the government to rescind COVID-19 public health measures, or force the government to resign en masse.

:rofl:

On one Facebook group connected to the convoy with more than 35,000 members, one user recently asked “what would happen if the military stood behind us and not Trudope?”

“There WILL Be a LYNCHING…!” another user responded, according to screenshots shared with Global News.

“If anything we should grab Trudeau by the g—mn neck and kick the s–t out of him for what he’s done,” said the user, who was immediately reminded by several other to keep things “peaceful.”

F ers. I’ve noticed some aping of the U. S model by the Conservatives, and some Canadian newspapers. This stunt is a Gofundme scam. Pick a cause, get people more upset, start a “ charity” or movement. Be stupid. Collect money from wherever. They are more accountable here, but still. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/gofundme-withhold-millions-trucker-convoy-1.6327665

GoFundMe has frozen access to the more than $4.7 million in funds raised by the trucker convoy now winding its way across the country toward Ottawa in a protest against vaccine mandates.

"We require that fundraisers be transparent about the flow of funds and have a clear plan for how those funds will be spent. In this case, we are in touch with the organizer to verify that information," Rachel Hollis, a spokeswoman for the crowdfunding platform, said in an email.

"Funds will be safely held until the organizer is able to provide the documentation to our team about how funds will be properly distributed." ....

18 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, I just saw that Singh’s brother-in-law donated $13,000 to the trucker convoy!

We can't get to choose our in-laws, as I am sure you know. 

I think they are in a surprise when they get to Ottawa.  The town is dead because everyone is working from home and the streets are very cold and snowy. Good luck getting an audience.

Archived