Jump to content

Canadian Politics : Getting the right jab


maarsen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, I did my bit last night working as a deputy returning officer. First it was an extremely long day as I started at 8 am setting up my polling station as per regulation, and alone due to Covid restrictions, and did not finish till midnight with counting and certifying the vote at my polling station. There is an enormous amount of paperwork during and after the polls close that I did not realize before I took this job. If anyone thinks it is easy to game an election, well the paperwork is more than enough to deter anyone. I think I signed over 20 statements, envelope seals, ballot box seals, oaths and such. It was quite the learning experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Well, I did my bit last night working as a deputy returning officer. First it was an extremely long day as I started at 8 am setting up my polling station as per regulation, and alone due to Covid restrictions, and did not finish till midnight with counting and certifying the vote at my polling station. There is an enormous amount of paperwork during and after the polls close that I did not realize before I took this job. If anyone thinks it is easy to game an election, well the paperwork is more than enough to deter anyone. I think I signed over 20 statements, envelope seals, ballot box seals, oaths and such. It was quite the learning experience.

Were you alone for the counting? That would be rather irregular wouldn't it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scrutineers. Funny word for some reason. :)

—-

Singh was yapping about voter suppression earlier today, regarding EC’s decision not to have campus voting stations, and now there’s rumblings from NDP organizers about how online donations for individual ridings were kicking straight to the campaign fund to promote Singh, for advertising, private flights, et so on. 

So like… he’s a phoney right? Progressive maybe, and perhaps he even believes it, but man, Canada is going to roll over hard for the the next leader that just rolls up their sleeves and gives us the straight dope.

So sick of politicians.

Edited by JEORDHl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Were you alone for the counting? That would be rather irregular wouldn't it?

I had a partner during the count and a scrutineer watching as we did so. The ballots are then put in bags and sealed, with my signature on the seal, in case a recount is deemed necessary. 

As for voter suppresion, we were instructed to make it as easy as possible to get people to vote. No proof of citizenship is required or ever asked for. All we needed was photo ID and anything to show your home address such as a utility bill and you could register on the spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Guess what, Jason Kenney isn’t resigning. But the sacrificial lamb is going to be the Health minister, who’s getting the boot out of cabinet today.

Not really a sacrificial lamb. He just got shuffled to the Labour and Immigration portfolio and is still in the Cabinet. 

Edited by Paxter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was listening to CBC news about Alberta and Jason Kenney facing a bit of a cabinet unrest. Apparently he is being criticized for being too slow to clamp down on one side, and not opening up  Alberta enough on the other side. I really have to wonder what is in the water there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I was listening to CBC news about Alberta and Jason Kenney facing a bit of a cabinet unrest. Apparently he is being criticized for being too slow to clamp down on one side, and not opening up  Alberta enough on the other side. I really have to wonder what is in the water there.

The sad thing is, Shandro, Copping, and even Kenney [I know] are amongst the more moderate of the UCP members. Unless it somehow triggers an election, Kenney getting ousted won't help Albertans in any discernable way, It'll be worse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, maarsen said:

I was listening to CBC news about Alberta and Jason Kenney facing a bit of a cabinet unrest. Apparently he is being criticized for being too slow to clamp down on one side, and not opening up  Alberta enough on the other side. I really have to wonder what is in the water there.

Sounds about right. There seem to be people in this province that love to bitch about everything. The place is made of coal, oil, natural gas, the rocky mountains, tourism, cattle; they've won the cosmic lottery and they still bitch about it. 

10 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

The sad thing is, Shandro, Copping, and even Kenney [I know] are amongst the more moderate of the UCP members. Unless it somehow triggers an election, Kenney getting ousted won't help Albertans in any discernable way, It'll be worse. 

It won't except to make the UCP in this province look even more incompetent. Either way, My money's on Notley in 2023,

They called Edmonton Centre for Boissonnault. I think that make 4 districts the UCP lost in Alberta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Either way, My money's on Notley in 23

Over under on that bet is probably 2:1 lol

Notley catches a lot of strays for being pragmatic and having good business sense, but there’s just no way any political party besides Conservative can win in cattle country unless they offset their more progressive policy with business acumen.
 

If the UCP somehow stumbles to the finish line [full term] I can see a socon splinter shucking off that would make it that much easier. Unless Harper, I suppose, but hopefully he’s satisfied with the IDU [which also must be destroyed]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just want to drop this into the discussion of the unaffordability of housing in Canadian urban centres. People we know retired, sold their house north of Toronto send bought a downtown condo. Apparently this condo had 3 previous owners but until now has never been occupied. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, maarsen said:

Apparently it was built 6 years ago and never occupied. 

I have been back to do warranty work on a number of condos over the years.

Most I would say have been occupied. There are a few that I recall as being empty.

It is very common for many units to be unoccupied in the first year after the building achieves occupancy, during the 1st board. A lot of units are bought by speculators/realtors before construction are flipped at this point.

 

Edited by Lord of Oop North
Link to comment
Share on other sites

<Breaking News>
 

That Huawei executive is expected to make a video appearance in a US court to plead guilty to contravening using Iran sanctions. Huawei is expected to pay a huge fine.

What happens to the two Michaels now?

eta: by making the video appearance and pleading guilty, the extradition demand by the US is supposed to be dropped, and she can go home. Reporters are saying rumors have been swirling for weeks.

Edited by Fragile Bird
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...