Jump to content

Canadian Politics : Getting the right jab


maarsen
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

<Breaking News>
 

That Huawei executive is expected to make a video appearance in a US court to plead guilty to contravening using Iran sanctions. Huawei is expected to pay a huge fine.

What happens to the two Michaels now?

eta: by making the video appearance and pleading guilty, the extradition demand by the US is supposed to be dropped, and she can go home. Reporters are saying rumors have been swirling for weeks.

I hope this is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the ridings in Manitoba was won by the Conservative over the Liberal by 22 or 24 fucking votes. That will trigger an automatic recount, apparently the threshold was 44 votes (!). Just goes to show you how important it is to go out and vote. The riding has a triple-decker name, I don’t remember what it was, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I just saw on CBC that Kovrig and Spavor are on a plane home.

Wow. Just a couple of hours ago the CBC was speculating it wouldn’t happen fast, it would take days or even weeks.

They also corrected the details, she didn’t plead guilty, the US issued a kind of of delayed order that I’ve heard of before, where the charged party is given conditions to meet over years (4 years here) and if those conditions are not met, they’ll revive the charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow. Just a couple of hours ago the CBC was speculating it wouldn’t happen fast, it would take days or even weeks.

They also corrected the details, she didn’t plead guilty, the US issued a kind of of delayed order that I’ve heard of before, where the charged party is given conditions to meet over years (4 years here) and if those conditions are not met, they’ll revive the charge.

A deferred prosecution agreement... which I personally find kind of hilarious given what happened with SNC-Lavalin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ah yes, I blanked out on the name.

But what do you mean about SNC?

They're referring to the scandal with SNC Lavalin and the Federal Liberals a few years ago- Trudeau and his staff were accused by Jodie Wilson-Raybould of exerting pressure on her to offer SNC a deferred prosecution agreement.

I'm so happy the Michaels are finally coming home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

They're referring to the scandal with SNC Lavalin and the Federal Liberals a few years ago- Trudeau and his staff were accused by Jodie Wilson-Raybould of exerting pressure on her to offer SNC a deferred prosecution agreement.

I'm so happy the Michaels are finally coming home.

I know all about the SNC case. But they were not violating US sanctions against Iran, no one asked to extradite SNC officials and no one was taken hostage, so I don’t understand the comment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I know all about the SNC case. But they were not violating US sanctions against Iran, no one asked to extradite SNC officials and no one was taken hostage, so I don’t understand the comment.

It's that a DPA was involved in this case, and it's a great thing for Canada and the PM, while the last time the PM was involved with a DPA people were (without cause) freaking out. Like I remember multiple people referring to the DPA as the PM "Trying to help out his buddies at SNC-Lavalin" when in reality it would have meant harsher penalties than what they ended up with.

Again I find it personally funny, if you haven't followed some of the specifics I have it probably doesn't make much sense.

Edited by TrueMetis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TrueMetis said:

It's that a DPA was involved in this case, and it's a great thing for Canada and the PM, while the last time the PM was involved with a DPA people were (without cause) freaking out. Like I remember multiple people referring to the DPA as the PM "Trying to help out his buddies at SNC-Lavalin" when it reality it would have meant harsher penalties than what they ended up with.

Again I find it personally funny, if you haven't followed some of the specifics I have it probably doesn't make much sense.

I was just so focused on the US side. :bang:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice to see that Alberta has finally turned the vaccine tide - they are up to 84% of eligible people with at least one shot, which is comparable to Ontario's 86%, though some way off Quebec's 89% (best performer so far of the large provinces). Of course, they now have a long way to catch up on second doses, but this is a welcome development.

It's also kind of a disheartening, as it underlines how unnecessary this fourth wave has been in AB. A lot of younger people obviously just needed better incentives (i.e. a vaccine passport) to get nudged into vaccination. 

Meanwhile Saskatchewan is easily Canada's worst province on vaccinations, with only 79% coverage. And at 410 daily cases per million, they currently have a worse caseload per capita than Florida (368 cases/million). Oh dear. 

Edited by Paxter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Annamie Paul is resigning as Green Party leader. I am a Green party supporter and I quite liked her. I had a bad feeling when she was elected as when a minority group member gets put in a leadership position, all is not well in the party and she was being set up to take all the blame. 

I wish her well in her next endeavour. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

Annamie Paul is resigning as Green Party leader. I am a Green party supporter and I quite liked her. I had a bad feeling when she was elected as when a minority group member gets put in a leadership position, all is not well in the party and she was being set up to take all the blame. 

I wish her well in her next endeavour. 

My friends and I have talked about this. Our analysis was that ranked voting system is what got her elected, that she did have support, but not so much for being leader. Since party members could not unite behind a first choice, she won by default. This would normally work out okay, but I guess this is evidence that it doesn’t always work out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

My friends and I have talked about this. Our analysis was that ranked voting system is what got her elected, that she did have support, but not so much for being leader. Since party members could not unite behind a first choice, she won by default. This would normally work out okay, but I guess this is evidence that it doesn’t always work out. 

I guess the good news is Doug Ford was elected leader the same way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I just saw a headline that Kenney won’t impose “firebreak” restrictions because “it would be unfair to the vaccinated”!

:rolleyes:  :ack:

Yeah he's playing a dangerous game here. I think he's banking on the fact that, like previous COVID waves in Alberta, they have hit the peak at around 1,500-2,000 cases per day and things will get better over the next month. But there's no guarantee that will happen this time, as so many people are now accustomed to having zero restrictions. And the increased vaccine rate is not going to help straight away. 

So I'm half expecting him to have to yield and impose the firebreak over the next month. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's pretty damning about how autocratic she was in the job.  The funny bit though:
 

Quote

People have been questioning why the Green Party is the only party that has not thanked Ms. Paul for her service. It is because only Annmarie Paul can approve statements. She alone controls what Canadians hear from our party.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...