The Wheel of Time TV Show 5: Eye of the Fandom [BOOK SPOILERS]

IFR

I think the closest analogy for Mat's reaction to Rand being a channeler and the Dragon Reborn is as if your childhood friend just found out he's the Antichrist who is going to bring about the events of Revelations, except there's an off chance he'll save the world in the process because of some apocryphal books left out of the modern Bible speak to the Antichist really being Christ returned.

I mean have you not read the Acts of Solomon, people? Or the Book of Gad???? Clearly the Antichrist will save us all!

Ahem.

Yeah, Mat's reaction to Rand makes kind of sense. But yes, he is also a massive dick. Who is fun to watch get into and out of trouble.

35 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I won't deny that Mat is not a great friend to Rand. I don't think he's a bad friend, just not a great friend. He's upfront about why and that's admirable (as well as understandable). Yeah, he's kind of a selfish asshole sometimes, but when it comes down to it, he runs into the burning house (as Verin's? comparison goes). People with charming personalities get away with a lot more in life, why not in a book series? I can see why someone would not appreciate that about him, but I've always been a Mat fan. The contrast in approaches is needed for a good story - it would be boring if they all approached their destiny the same. Rand is (eventually) resigned, Perrin is reluctant, Mat is appalled, Egwene is determined, Nyneave is furious. Works for me.

Oh I thoroughly enjoy Mat's character, and reading him. Siuan is right, that when put on the spot, he does run into the burning house, and the various ways RJ gets that to happen is always fun. The inner monologue of "I should be far away in a bar dicing and kissing women, not doing this", makes for fun action scenes, as we see someone totally uninterested in the job do a very very competent job of it even as he curses his luck for being stuck with the job.

I'm just pointing out that the charm does let him get away with crap. We don't have to blind ourselves to his flaws to enjoy reading about him, and that's true for all of them. 

ETA: and I hope the show leans into all this. What the many different powers and abilities RJ created allow for is for some very varied personalities to be critical heroes to the fight, and most of them are entertaining characters. Elayne and Perrin suffer the most, I feel, in being somewhat bland personalities, especially in their later story arcs, so hopefully the show can rescue them by the inevitable tightening of their stories.

Sure, Mat's reaction towards Rand is understandable. But it's still should be a point against him. And it's not like it make sense in a coldly rational way, if Rand gets insane to the point of murdering close friends the world is screwed anyway and Mat will be dead soon regardless if he's 2,000 miles away or in the same building as Rand. And Mat takes way bigger risks for other people all the time but can't do it for his supposedly best friend?

Also, it's annoying how the fandom loves to hate on other characters for minor stuff yet Mat is barely ever criticised. He went to Ebou Dar in the last book intending to sit the Last Battle out and that's barely ever mentioned. If anyone else had done this, you'd never hear the end of it.

47 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Sure, Mat's reaction towards Rand is understandable. But it's still should be a point against him. And it's not like it make sense in a coldly rational way, if Rand gets insane to the point of murdering close friends the world is screwed anyway and Mat will be dead soon regardless if he's 2,000 miles away or in the same building as Rand. And Mat takes way bigger risks for other people all the time but can't do it for his supposedly best friend?

Perrin even jokes about this:

“That is what I’m afraid of,” Mat said, standing. “No offense, Rand, but I think I will just sleep as far away from you as I can, if you don’t mind. That’s if you are staying. I heard about a fellow who could channel, once. A merchant’s guard told me. Before the Red Ajah found him, he woke one morning, and his whole village was smashed flat. All the houses, all the people, everything but the bed he was sleeping in, like a mountain had rolled over them.”

Perrin said, “In that case, Mat, you should sleep cheek by jowl with him.”

2 hours ago, Poobah said:
New poster revealed after a lil social media puzzle thing.

I did get weirded out when the official Wheel of Time Twitter account DMed me, and then confused when it was what appeared to be a puzzle piece (my one was one of the side ones on the far left of the image, where the Winespring Inn is).

Looks like we get daily clips now. This one I enjoyed. I like how channeling is looking more and more, and I like the flash of white before the taint takes over. That's a good way to show the distinction between saidin and Saidar, and hopefully, actors "using" saidin can convey the nausea of the taint mixed with the drug-like pleasure of saidin.

29 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Looks like we get daily clips now. This one I enjoyed. I like how channeling is looking more and more, and I like the flash of white before the taint takes over. That's a good way to show the distinction between saidin and Saidar, and hopefully, actors "using" saidin can convey the nausea of the taint mixed with the drug-like pleasure of saidin.

That does look solid. I also like the costumes of the Ghealdanin soldiers, very Middle-Eastern or Eastern European.  Interesting that we catch a glimpse of Mat staring at Logain and him back. Or is that just misdirection, like Lan's boots in the teaser trailer? Maybe the writers have employed some deceptive tactics so they don't give away who the Dragon Reborn is right off the bat like RJ did.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

That does look solid. I also like the costumes of the Ghealdanin soldiers, very Middle-Eastern or Eastern European.  Interesting that we catch a glimpse of Mat staring at Logain and him back. Or is that just misdirection, like Lan's boots in the teaser trailer? Maybe the writers have employed some deceptive tactics so they don't give away who the Dragon Reborn is right off the bat like RJ did.

Yeah I liked the look of the soldiers too.

In the books, it's Rand whom Logain sees, and since he can see ta'veren, he starts laughing.

Having Mat see a male channeler captured would be a good change I think. Might help make him look less dick-ish when he freaks out about Rand.

11 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Yeah I liked the look of the soldiers too.

In the books, it's Rand whom Logain sees, and since he can see ta'veren, he starts laughing.

Having Mat see a male channeler captured would be a good change I think. Might help make him look less dick-ish when he freaks out about Rand.

Or more? Maybe make him being a dick more understandable because there is a difference between fearing a mad channeler because of stories vs, first hand experience. 

Logain laughing at seeing Mat would be a misdirection. Because Rand shone extremely brightly in Logain's eyes, so Logain pretty much realized at whom he was looking. Mat would not shine quite as brightly.

Archived