The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercrombie [SPOILER THREAD]

The hairy bear

7 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I would be fine with Glustrod or the other sons. Beyond that though, it becomes less interesting.

I imagine Glustrod would be terrifying if he returned.  He was one of the few people Fenris the Reared respected.

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

I imagine Glustrod would be terrifying if he returned.  He was one of the few people Fenris the Reared respected.

For sure.  But it would be less OP than Euz, which seems good to me.  I don't really care for the idea of the next series being Bayaz vs the Union vs God himself.  That sounds like something that could go really wrong for Mr. Abercrombie. 

On 4/13/2022 at 8:08 AM, Maithanet said:

For sure.  But it would be less OP than Euz, which seems good to me.  I don't really care for the idea of the next series being Bayaz vs the Union vs God himself.  That sounds like something that could go really wrong for Mr. Abercrombie. 

Maybe. But on the other hand, if he's looking to put this world to bed and move on, this would seem to have an air of finality. 

10 minutes ago, Ninefingers said:

Maybe. But on the other hand, if he's looking to put this world to bed and move on, this would seem to have an air of finality. 

I suppose.  It gives me weird flashbacks to Dragonlance - Dragons of Summer Flame.  There the three gods of Good, Evil and Neutrality were key characters in the story, and they upped the ante to have the father of those gods (God of Chaos) arrive.  In addition, Summer Flame isn't a particularly good story. 

But in this case the main characters have never had to oppose any of the sons either, so to suddenly be facing the OG god feels kinda out of left field and very OP. Glustrod would be a big enough problem.

41 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'd say killing off all the major Magi would allow for this universe to be put to bed.

Would it?  When would you say the last major incidence of magic usage was in this world?  We see some stuff that the Eaters do which is more just mega ninja type stuff.  But when did we last see actual onscreen magic?

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Would it?  When would you say the last major incidence of magic usage was in this world?  We see some stuff that the Eaters do which is more just mega ninja type stuff.  But when did we last see actual onscreen magic?

Not counting Rikke's visions and transformation?

My point is that the Magi like Bayaz, Kalul and Zacharus have been pulling strings of nations and being the shadows behind wars for a long time. So if they're gone, now you have a world with just regular people doing their own geopolitcal stuff. I don't know if there will be further reason to explore the universe beyond that. And I didn't say their deaths shouldn't involve some big, momentous stuff, but I don't know if it should involve an apocalyptic war with demons and gods.

I’ll say this again I think it’s really weird how disinterested the public is in exploring magic.

The magi are functionally immortal if killed.

Thats a way more impressive feat than anything modern technology has been able to produce 

But No one in universe  is interested in trying to study the thing that can possibly allow them to live thousands of years.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I’ll say this again I think it’s really weird how disinterested the public is in exploring magic.

The magi are functionally immortal if killed.

Thats a way more impressive feat than anything modern technology has been able to produce 

But No one in universe  is interested in trying to study the thing that can possibly allow them to live thousands of years.

A bit like Indiana Jones remaining a sceptic, in spite of being given proof positive of the existence of God.

22 minutes ago, SeanF said:

A bit like Indiana Jones remaining a sceptic, in spite of being given proof positive of the existence of God.

You know I’m not super well versed in Indiana jokes but wasn’t it confirmed like there are other gods in universe? Like that tribe’s god who tried to take his heart?

On 4/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, Maithanet said:

I suppose.  It gives me weird flashbacks to Dragonlance - Dragons of Summer Flame.  There the three gods of Good, Evil and Neutrality were key characters in the story, and they upped the ante to have the father of those gods (God of Chaos) arrive.  In addition, Summer Flame isn't a particularly good story. 

But in this case the main characters have never had to oppose any of the sons either, so to suddenly be facing the OG god feels kinda out of left field and very OP. Glustrod would be a big enough problem.

Never thought I’d see Joe compared to Dragons of Summer Flame. :lol: 

Now if we can just get Rikke to slip up unnoticed to Glustrod’s heel and get a drop of his blood in the magic stone…

• 4 months later...

About to finish this today...I"m conflicted...I think I liked it most of the three, but when looked through a long lens, the whole trilogy felt exactly like the middle of bigger trilogy (which I guess it might be, and was alluded to throughout this thread...?).  

Broad remains my least favorite character...though I suppose, why have four or five different characters to touch on the different aspects of the different factions, when you can have just one do all of it...

I never forgot what you all said about Zuri earlier int he series, but I never was adept at seeing what you all saw (but I was fine following the train of thought), and I thought the end reveal with her was actually kinda cinematic in a way...

Overall I did enjoy it and I do look forward to going back to the Circle of the World as soon as possible...though I have no idea WHERE it goes from here...

SIDE NOTE: Why can't I remember where Clover was seen in the stories prior to this trilogy...?

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

SIDE NOTE: Why can't I remember where Clover was seen in the stories prior to this trilogy...?

I think we decided that we hadn’t, but the character was written as if we had.

I think…

11 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think…

That is true. Apparently he was one of the shield bearers during the duel between the Bloody Nine and Fenris the feared, but there is no way to identify him in there. 

12 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

I actually quite liked Broad (as a character, not a person).

I don't know that I had any huge problems with Broad apart from him being a re-skin of Shivers, who was a re-skin of Logen. Just a little bit too much been there, done that for me. 

2 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I don't know that I had any huge problems with Broad apart from him being a re-skin of Shivers, who was a re-skin of Logen. Just a little bit too much been there, done that for me. 

I always thought he stood out from them somewhat in that he had a good bit of Bremer dan Gorst in him as well. Granted, that's also something of a recycle but I felt it made for an interesting combination.

18 hours ago, Rhom said:

I think…

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

That is true. Apparently he was one of the shield bearers during the duel between the Bloody Nine and Fenris the feared, but there is no way to identify him in there. 

Yeah. I recall him mentioning the idea of being the shield bearer a number of times...but to write the character that way...it almost makes it feel like there is another level of importance to him, a regular Chekov's "Sword" if you will...mind you, I didn't always agree with him, but Jonas was one of the better written characters for me.

Archived