Dune Spoiler Thread

polishgenius

37 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

We could probably replace that asskicking with a Rabban reference given it's Bautista if that's needed. 

That's what I suspect: they have Dave fucking Bautista as the Harkonnen in charge of Arrakis, and the story ends with Paul duelling and defeating the current head of House Harkonnen. Though I dread to imagine Chalamet kicking Bautista's ass. It wouldn't be a subtle and treacherous fight with poisoned hidden dagger.

The Fenrings can go, I suppose, specially if there's no Feyd Rautha.

Emperor and Irulan on the other hand make sense. Specially if Villeneuve wishes to shoot Dune Messiah, he'll need Irulan. Besides, she's the way Paul is legitimized as Emperor and successor to Shaddam IV: he weds his daughter, and since the Emperor has no son (obviously the Bene Gesserit goal was for the son of Feyd and Jessica's daughter to take that seat, hence the order to Shaddam's wife not to bear any son to force an open succession), he would be next in line.

3 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I would be surprised if they did. Paul hasn't even gotten the Muad'dib name yet. The immediate events at Sietch Tabr need to happen. And I think they'll give us more of the events passed over in the time jump in the movie.

Paul gets a couple of new names and then Jessica drinks a potion. That’s literally all that happens between where they reached in the film and the end of the second part of the book. I thought it was odd that they showed the Muad’dib but then didn’t name it in this film, but I don’t think they would have an introductory scene just for the names and the potion and then skip ahead two years. If they want to do a funeral to convey the importance of water, it doesn’t have to be Jamis’ funeral.

I think it’s much more likely that they will have jumped ahead two years and that will hopefully mean less exposition when it comes to all the Fremen stuff. Paul having more familiarity with the Fremen than the audience would be a slick way of conveying his growth during the time jump.

Part of the deal apparently was the second part would have an exclusive theatrical run, yet WB had a caveat about how the franchise would benefit HBO Max as well... so, got to wonder where the HBO Max headspace is in its imaginings, Children of Dune perhaps?

11 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Part of the deal apparently was the second part would have an exclusive theatrical run, yet WB had a caveat about how the franchise would benefit HBO Max as well... so, got to wonder where the HBO Max headspace is in its imaginings, Children of Dune perhaps?

That's probably a coded reference to the TV show, The Sisterhood, which is in development. If they feel the movie has been a hit, they can greenlight the TV show, although doing it now would mean they likely wouldn't be able to have Villeneuve direct the first episode, as was their original hope.

Sting is still alive.

And still acting. He put a good performance - admittedly as just a more assholeish version of himself - in Murders in the Building on Amazon.

16 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That's probably a coded reference to the TV show, The Sisterhood, which is in development. If they feel the movie has been a hit, they can greenlight the TV show, although doing it now would mean they likely wouldn't be able to have Villeneuve direct the first episode, as was their original hope.

That would be based on KJA’s crap?

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Feyd-Rautha.

Rabban, who isn't seen in the book all that much, seems to have taken on his role in Part 1, and I don't see how they could introduce him as someone important in Part 2 without eating up a decent chunk of running time. It would be easier to have Rabban do everything.

The technology to de-age Sting exists though, so it would be a shame if they didn't put him in some little underpants and find a cameo role for him somewhere.

12 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Rabban, who isn't seen in the book all that much, seems to have taken on his role in Part 1, and I don't see how they could introduce him as someone important in Part 2 without eating up a decent chunk of running time. It would be easier to have Rabban do everything.

No he hasn't. Rabban was the Harkonnen enforcer before the Atreides, and just like in the book, the Baron commands him to squeeze the planet and reign terror.

Spoiler

This is all part of the Baron's plan to exalt Feyd as the saving hero later.

Neither Feyd nor Rabban took part in the attack on the Atreides in the book.

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

No he hasn't. Rabban was the Harkonnen enforcer before the Atreides, and just like in the book, the Baron commands him to squeeze the planet and reign terror. This is all part of the Baron's plan to exalt Feyd as the saving hero later. Neither Feyd nor Rabban took part in the attack on the Atreides in the book.

He was, but we don't see the Baron meet with him at any point, just discuss what his plans are, or think them anyway.

I think if you're expecting to see a lot of political intricacy in the next part, you'll probably be disappointed. If they're fitting the book into ~5 hours, some things are going to have to make way.

"OPINION
PAUL KRUGMAN
‘Dune’ Is the Movie We Always Wanted"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/26/opinion/dune-movie-foundation-series.html

The blogger John Rogers once noted that there are two novels that can shape the lives of bookish 14-year-olds: “Atlas Shrugged” and “The Lord of the Rings.” One of these novels, he asserted, is a childish fantasy that can leave you emotionally stunted; the other involves orcs.

Well, I was a bookish 14-year-old, but my touchstones were two different novels: Isaac Asimov’s “Foundation” and Frank Herbert’s “Dune.”

Many social scientists, it turns out, are science fiction readers. For example, quite a few experts on international relations who I know are fanatics about the TV version of “The Expanse.” I think it’s because good science fiction involves building imaginary worlds that are different from the world we know, but in interesting ways that relate to the attempt to understand why society is the way it is.

Anyway, that’s my excuse for devoting today’s newsletter not to the latest scary developments in politics and economics but to a much happier event: the U.S. release of a wonderful, satisfying film version of “Dune” — the first movie I’ve seen in a theater since the pandemic began. ....

More.  Says good things about The Expanse. Does not say good things about the Foundation tv series.

And here we go, Part II.

"Warner Bros. sets 'Dune' sequel for 2023 after strong box office opening"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/26/media/dune-part-two-release-date/index.html

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Paul gets a couple of new names and then Jessica drinks a potion. That’s literally all that happens between where they reached in the film and the end of the second part of the book.

I mean, yeah? But also those are kind of big deals. There's also the part about Harah and her kids if that matters, but both of those 'just' things are actually pretty big scenes, especially the Jessica transformation. 

4 hours ago, jurble said:

Pretty good movie up to the point where it just stops. 

It has definitely brought attention to the series and I feel bad for all the kids that are going to read the KJA/Brian Herbert books.

I hope they can see the difference in tone and quality.

Almost everyone I know seems to think this is a remake of "the original one from the 80s". My mom, who is a voracious reader though almost exclusively nonfiction or the occasional modern novel, had no idea it was ever a book. Odd that I'm a sports fan and genre nerd from two parents who couldn't care less about those two pastimes. 

1 hour ago, horangi said:

Yep and sadly, that's when they tell you that the BFG-9000 was pretty cool in that game...

Dune 2 was a crazy popular, awesome video game that was the first real RTS out there. A LOT of people learned what Dune was because of it that had zero exposure to it before that.

53 minutes ago, Kalsandra said:

Dune 2 was a crazy popular, awesome video game that was the first real RTS out there. A LOT of people learned what Dune was because of it that had zero exposure to it before that.

Oh no doubt, my comment was mostly in jest. :D I played the hell out of Dune 2 back in the day, but had an odd conversation or two with other friends who were not exactly into gaming that dipped their toes in for Doom (which IRL came out a little after Dune2).   We were definitely talking, and definitely not talking about the same thing.  I mean they do both have the same plot- defending a desert world from legions of supernatural baddies while scouring the world for performance enhancing drugs!

Archived