Dune Spoiler Thread

polishgenius

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Paul. Who the hecc names the hero of their super-epic space epic Paul?

Not to spoil it for you, but there's this book called the New Testament and you won't believe what the Paul in that one does.

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Numerous scenes were cut - the banquet, the one above, I think more about Gurney (in an interview with Brolin he doesn't confirm he played the baliset), a scene between Thufir and Paul after the hunter-seeker moment, and more with Duncan with the Fremen. #Releasethedirectorscut.

Clearly an extended edition is required!

On 10/29/2021 at 7:05 PM, Relic said:

House Ordos forever!

Worst house ever, I can't even remember what their unique unit was! That's the mega drive version, I don't remember if the PC one even had unique units?

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Worst house ever, I can't even remember what their unique unit was! That's the mega drive version, I don't remember if the PC one even had unique units?

It did. It had a slightly better early vehicle, which didn't matter too much. And it had the tank that converted enemy units to your side. Which was cool in that you could get those Harkonnen super tanks to join you; but on the other hand, the Harkonnens could just build those tanks themselves.

8 minutes ago, Fez said:

It did. It had a slightly better early vehicle, which didn't matter too much. And it had the tank that converted enemy units to your side. Which was cool in that you could get those Harkonnen super tanks to join you; but on the other hand, the Harkonnens could just build those tanks themselves.

Ah yeah that's right. The rocket tanks. They missed a lot like the normal rocket tanks right?

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Ah yeah that's right. The rocket tanks. They missed a lot like the normal rocket tanks right?

They were horrible because they didn't do jack to buildings. 

Fremen spamming was fun though, especially when the game just couldn't figure out where to put them and ended up putting them inside enemy buildings.

They filmed the banquet scene with Princess Irulan? I know I read somewhere that the director doesn't do Director Cuts or Extended Editions, but I'd love to add Dune to my cherished extended collection. LotR and Kingdom of Heaven are lonely. Bring on the 9-12 hour trilogy edition!

I just came back from watching it, and I loved it.  It was visually stunning and adapted the first 40% of the book quite faithfully, and in a way that would be comprehensible to someone who has not read it (unlike the Lynch version).

I watched again last night; much less tired and less booze'd up than the first time around. I caught more of the little details, both in the visual design and some of the quieter dialog. It really is so good; though I stand by my "heart" comment from my initial reaction.

Saw this earlier today - Kinda staying away fro the thread due to spoilers for the books but I found this comment funny

Zendaya: So how much of my screen time will be slow mo shots?

Denis Villeneuve: Yes. 

On 10/31/2021 at 11:48 PM, SeanF said:

in a way that would be comprehensible to someone who has not read it (unlike the Lynch version).

Spot on. The version is story-wise far superior to the one by Lynch. Anythingwise, actually. My daughter hasn't read the book, I asked her if she got the story - it is was all absolutely clear (and interesting).

I went to the cinema with no expectations and was positively suprised, I have not watched movie so good for years.

On 10/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

Right, I understand the Bene Gesserit had laid the groundwork for the arrival of an outworlder messiah (one of the things I thought the movie did nicely, with enough references to it); which was simply them hedging their bets for one of their many prospects to take root. Also agree with your and other comments here that note the Fremen being primed only recently to believe in something beyond their local tribes as being key points, following by the transfer of power being the spark that set everything in motion. But to the point of Paul being a Mohammed-like figure, the latter was local to the region when Islam took root. I guess my question is more about why Herbert chose outsider vs insider when surely he must have been aware of the 'orientalist or white savior aspects of that choice.

Herbert was aware of that choice.  He was very much anti the white savior and the charismatic leaders/great men of history.  Paul, as the series goes, on is a demonstration as to why this is a bad thing.  I'm not sure if you read the books, so I'm trying not to spoil.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:56 PM, Werthead said:

There was a scene shot in which Yueh gives Paul a copy of the Orange Catholic Bible that belongs to his wife, therefore simultaneously establishing the religion of the Imperium and providing some foreshadowing of Yueh's whole storyline.

FFS.

Oh the film needed that scene.  It establishes trust between Yueh and Paul (by extension House Atredies) and deepens the world building:

Archived