Dune Spoiler Thread

polishgenius

14 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

He fucking rocked in a serious role in King of New York, and was great in another super-serious role in True Romance. 

I'm totally for it. Ain't like they fucked up the casting prior to this. 

Let’s not forget The Deer Hunter, for which he won a Best Supporting Oscar. 

And don’t forget a great Bond villain!

(You know… all of a sudden… cornering the market on the world microchip shortage does seem pretty diabolical…)

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

And don’t forget a great Bond villain!

(You know… all of a sudden… cornering the market on the world microchip shortage does seem pretty diabolical…)

Fuck you :ninja:. He's the best thing in an otherwise meh Bond film. Funny enough, I'm just about to read the short story it's based off of.

It occurred to me on a recent re-watch; I want to see the unrated directors cut with realistic arterial spray from all those knife wounds. Seriously, the interior of that thopter carrying Paul and Jessica, with all those slit throats, would have been painted red. Exiting that craft would have looked like that shot from The Shining.

I'd also like to see an extended cut with some of the deleted scenes put back in. There's some good stuff in there. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re-Watching… why weren’t the Atredies flying a CAP?  Something to give them firepower that couldn’t be caught on the ground?  Why didn’t they have ships in orbit that could attempt to slow or disrupt an attack?  

Is everything outside atmo Guild territory?

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Re-Watching… why weren’t the Atredies flying a CAP?  Something to give them firepower that couldn’t be caught on the ground?  Why didn’t they have ships in orbit that could attempt to slow or disrupt an attack?  

Because the author prescribed a sneak attack and that's what happened. There is no other answer to your... question.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What is this, Battlestar Galactica? :P

The Spacing Guild has a monopoly on space travel. Did you read the book? Because the book made it pretty clear that Duke Leto was pretty well prepared, he just didn't think that the doctor of all people would be the traitor. Also the Atreides were more active in the book, even launching a raid on Geidi Prime to destroy Harkonnen silos. The movie did leave quite a few things on the cutting floor.

19 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What is this, Battlestar Galactica? :P

The Spacing Guild has a monopoly on space travel. Did you read the book? Because the book made it pretty clear that Duke Leto was pretty well prepared, he just didn't think that the doctor of all people would be the traitor. Also the Atreides were more active in the book, even launching a raid on Geidi Prime to destroy Harkonnen silos. The movie did leave quite a few things on the cutting floor.

Of course I’ve read the book.  I first read it when I was 13 (I’m 51).  I know about the raid on Geidi Prime… that still doesn’t explain why the Atreides didn’t have a combat air patrol running… or ships in orbit to guard against sneak attacks.

:)

18 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Of course I’ve read the book.  I first read it when I was 13 (I’m 51).  I know about the raid on Geidi Prime… that still doesn’t explain why the Atreides didn’t have a combat air patrol running… or ships in orbit to guard against sneak attacks.

:)

Being on a desert planet with frequent sandstorms explains it. As does the fact that planets are big and there is no way that the Atreides could patrol the entire atmosphere. And I believe all the satellites are controlled by the Guild or the emperor. Don't the Fremen payoff the Guild to keep their satellites away from looking at the deep desert?

28 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Being on a desert planet with frequent sandstorms explains it. As does the fact that planets are big and there is no way that the Atreides could patrol the entire atmosphere. And I believe all the satellites are controlled by the Guild or the emperor. Don't the Fremen payoff the Guild to keep their satellites away from looking at the deep desert?

I think so.

There's also the problem of economics. Taking out House Atreides was ruinously expensive for House Harkonnen. This is only hinted at in the film.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The officially “habitable” part of Arrakis is fairly small.  Concentrated as it is above 60 degrees North Latitude (that’s a circle north of the southern tip of Greenland on Earth) and inside areas surrounded by the Shield wall to protect against correlois storms.  A constantly running CAP would have had only a relatively small amount of territory to cover compaired with the entire planet.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Yes. And the Atriedes were negotiating with the Guild for permission to keep a frigate in orbit. The Guild were saying no because the Fremen were bribing them.

Generally though it does not seem that space combat or orbital bombardments etc are a thing in the Dune universe though. Possibly the Guild does not allow them?

5 minutes ago, A wilding said:

Yes. And the Atriedes were negotiating with the Guild for permission to keep a frigate in orbit. The Guild were saying no because the Fremen were bribing them.

Generally though it does not seem that space combat or orbital bombardments etc are a thing in the Dune universe though. Possibly the Guild does not allow them?

That addresses nothing in orbit.  It doesn’t address no CAP.

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The officially “habitable” part of Arrakis is fairly small.  Concentrated as it is above 60 degrees North Latitude (that’s a circle north of the southern tip of Greenland on Earth) and inside areas surrounded by the Shield wall to protect against correlois storms.  A constantly running CAP would have had only a relatively small amount of territory to cover compaired with the entire planet.

Sure, you won't see where the enemy comes from. And again, storms would prevent a constant CAP. But ultimately, the Atreides trusted in their shields. Why risk the life of your pilots when all your major assets could easily be protected from aerial bombardments by shields?

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Sure, you won't see where the enemy comes from. And again, storms would prevent a constant CAP. But ultimately, the Atreides trusted in their shields. Why risk the life of your pilots when all your major assets could easily be protected from aerial bombardments by shields?

Because… machines break?

Archived