The winds of winter predictions

Daenerysthegreat

13 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Winds will definitely see a lot of PoVs culled, probably from having those storylines merged with older, more significant PoVs, e.g. Asha will be gone since she's met up with Theon, 

Actually theon's redemption arc is over. So there is no purpose in him being a pov. Same with jaime. While asha and brienne's arcs are not over. 

13 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Barristan will be gone as soon as Tyrion and/or Dany show up in Meereen, etc. 

barristan is the main solution if the meerenese knot. Remove him and you have to deal with the knot again. Plus with all the plotlines that will have to be resolved, dany won't return to meereen till the half of twow. 

7 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Actually theon's redemption arc is over. So there is no purpose in him being a pov. Same with jaime. While asha and brienne's arcs are not over. 

I agree that Theon's redemption is (mostly) over, but I feel like it's almost essential for him to meet some Starks again, preferably Bran and/or Rickon. Also, Martin has already written a PoV chapter of Theon for Winds, so we know it hasn't been cut yet. And since both he and Asha are in the same place, that suggests that Martin will not be cutting Theon just because he and Asha are in the same place.

And Jaime's arc is certainly not over. That's just a ridiculous statement. He has begun his redemption arc, and probably gotten midway through it, but it hasn't concluded yet. There needs to be a confrontation with Cersei, or even Tyrion. Jaime's psychology is heavily based on his relationships with his family. Brienne and Stoneheart are just side elements of his story, they aren't the main issues. It's Brienne whose arc is over - she will not take precedence over Jaime, in terms of who gets the PoV. She was always just a side character, and even her own PoV storyline in Feast was almost completely irrelevant compared to all the others. 

I think you need to set aside your biases towards female PoVs and look at things more objectively. Theon and Jaime are among the most important and complex post-GoT PoVs; they will not be cut from the next book/s. Brienne and Asha almost certainly will be, because their utility in the story has come to an end - Brienne needed to meet Stoneheart and bring Jaime to her, and Asha needed to be our PoV of Stannis after he left Jon but before he captured Theon. That's really all there is too it.

3 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

I agree that Theon's redemption is (mostly) over, but I feel like it's almost essential for him to meet some Starks again, preferably Bran and/or Rickon. Also, Martin has already written a PoV chapter of Theon for Winds, so we know it hasn't been cut yet. And since both he and Asha are in the same place, that suggests that Martin will not be cutting Theon just because he and Asha are in the same place.

I didn't say jaime and theon wouldn't be pov in twow. They certainly will be. Mr Martin doesn't cut a pov just for the sake of it. 

4 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

I think you need to set aside your biases towards female PoVs and look at things more objectively. Theon and Jaime are among the most important and complex post-GoT PoVs; they will not be cut from the next book/s. Brienne and Asha almost certainly will be, because their utility in the story has come to an end - Brienne needed to meet Stoneheart and bring Jaime to her, and Asha needed to be our PoV of Stannis after he left Jon but before he captured Theon. That's really all there is too it

Brienne has her arc. It's about stark loyalty her identity as a warrior and all. Asha's arc is about being heir to iron islands a woman and all. Their arcs are certainly not over just because they were introduced in the fourth book which are dislikied by some guys

24 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

I didn't say jaime and theon wouldn't be pov in twow. They certainly will be. Mr Martin doesn't cut a pov just for the sake of it. 

You said that there would be "no purpose" to having them as PoVs in Winds.

Brienne has her arc. It's about stark loyalty her identity as a warrior and all.

Yes, and that was concluded in Feast. The culmination of her "warrior identity" was the final battle with Rorge and Biter at the Inn of the Crossroads, where she almost dies defending the innocent people at the inn despite being outnumbered. It showed both her bravery and honour as a warrior. And as for Stark loyalty - that was shown at the very end of her final chapter when she shouts out for "sword!" rather than be hanged, therefore seemingly prioritising her loyalty to the Starks over her loyalty to Jaime. We'll see the results of this fateful decision from Jaime's PoV in Winds.

Asha's arc is about being heir to iron islands a woman and all

Theon is actually heir to the Iron Islands. And the ironborn politics storyline was practically ended when Euron won the kingsmoot. Euron is a far more important character than Asha, despite not being a PoV. The Iron Islands storyline might come up again, but not for a while. The ironborn characters have more important things to do - Theon and Asha in the middle of a war in the north, Euron attacking the Reach, Victarian finding Daenerys. The Iron Islands storyline in Feast was just the necessary foundations for these later branching storylines. I don't think the fate of the Iron Islands themselves will be relevant again until the final book, and probably close to the end of it.

Their arcs are certainly not over just because they were introduced in the fourth book

A lot of the PoVs introduced in the fourth book were not intended to be major PoVs which long-running storylines like the PoVs in the first three books. They were just created to 1) introduce us to new regions/new political players, and 2) fill in the time while the more important characters' stories were a bit slower (e.g. Tyrion, Dany, Jon, Arya, Sansa). Asha was necessary firstly to give us an insight into ironborn politics since Theon has been gone for a long time, and then to give us a PoV on Stannis after he leaves the other PoV characters like Jon and Melisandre. Brienne was there because Martin needed a way for Jaime to eventually meet Stoneheart. Nothing else in her Feast storyline has any relevance to the larger plot whatsoever.

which are dislikied by some guys

Don't make this a bloody gender thing. It has nothing to do with it. 

4 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Don't make this a bloody gender thing. It has nothing to do with it. 

By guys I meant people gender neutral people. 

5 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Brienne was there because Martin needed a way for Jaime to eventually meet Stoneheart. Nothing else in her Feast storyline has any relevance to the larger plot whatsoever.

Then why have brienne as a pov at all? She only met stoneheart in her last chapter. That could be easily explained in jaime's pov as well

3 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Then why have brienne as a pov at all? She only met stoneheart in her last chapter. That could be easily explained in jaime's pov as well

Martin loves his travelogue storylines - Dany in Thrones, Arya in Clash and Storm, Bran in Storm, Jaime in Storm, Tyrion in Dance. Not much of these storylines are actually relevant to the larger story, but Martin enjoys the slow-paced worldbuilding that he can work into these chapters. That's enough of a reason for him to include them.

5 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

And as for Stark loyalty - that was shown at the very end of her final chapter when she shouts out for "sword!" rather than be hanged, therefore seemingly prioritising her loyalty to the Starks over her loyalty to Jaime. We'll see the results of this fateful decision from Jaime's PoV in Winds.

Maybe I’m too far off topic here, but I think the Sword! Exclamation isn’t about the Starks at all. It’s about Pod and the representation of innocent lives at the cost of honor. It’s like Ned making the choice to swallow his precious honor and lie to protect Jon Snow and later lie to protect Sansa. Brienne shouts the word as she watched Hyle and Pod hang. Yes, she chooses her loyalty to the Starks for that, but she doesn’t choose sword FOR the Starks. She chooses it for the innocents caught up in the war (Pod, Hyle who is innocent of any crime against Stoneheart).

5 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Martin loves his travelogue storylines - Dany in Thrones, Arya in Clash and Storm, Bran in Storm, Jaime in Storm, Tyrion in Dance. Not much of these storylines are actually relevant to the larger story, but Martin enjoys the slow-paced worldbuilding that he can work into these chapters. That's enough of a reason for him to include them.

He's also telling us about the characters.  We learn a whole lot about them in these chapters.  That is a major reason I think Brienne will be an important character in the next book.  We got 8 chapters of character buildup.  I expect her to help protect one or both Stark girls.  Her story has been connected to the Starks and I expect that to continue. 

I think Jaime's day may be done.  If he's not the valonqar, there is nothing he has to do.  He has already severed himself from Cersei.  In fact, the only reason I don't think he is already dead is because his body hasn't shown up yet.   We're also overdue for a surprise death.

26 minutes ago, Nevets said:

He's also telling us about the characters.  We learn a whole lot about them in these chapters.  That is a major reason I think Brienne will be an important character in the next book.  We got 8 chapters of character buildup.  I expect her to help protect one or both Stark girls.  Her story has been connected to the Starks and I expect that to continue. 

I agree that her story is linked with the starks but I don't think she will be their protector or something. Seeing catelyn murder jaime is more likely to turn her against the starks 

27 minutes ago, Nevets said:

We're also overdue for a surprise death.

The suprise death that I think we can get is of sam. Sam will find out important information tell it to alleras who I believe is sarella sand and will be killed by the faceless man(the same one who gave arya three wishes and killed pate). 

7 hours ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

I agree with @StarksInTheNorth with his/her division of characters in general, although I'd consider Euron to be a secondary character based on his importance to the larger plot, if not screen-time.

Winds will definitely see a lot of PoVs culled, probably from having those storylines merged with older, more significant PoVs, e.g. Asha will be gone since she's met up with Theon, Barristan will be gone as soon as Tyrion and/or Dany show up in Meereen, etc. I'm almost certain that Brienne's PoV is over now that she's reunited with Jaime, although I think Jaime will definitely remain a PoV, at least for Winds. His story is not finished yet. Samwell's PoV won't be cut - he's our only PoV in that part of Westeros, and the Citadel/Oldtown is poised to become pretty important, it seems.

Jaime's POV already ended.  He left for a day's ride, and has already been gone for weeks.  Something happened and we missed it.   He will return to KL from Cersei's POV.  Ditto Brienne:  We saw her from Jaime's last POV without knowing what had happened with her.

The story will never end if we need a POV in every city and every location.  Marwyn says he is leaving Oldtown on the Cinnamon Wind.  I think he has left and taken the story with him.  We will next see Sam when he meets another POV character.  And we will have to guess if it is really Sam or not.

My evidence for this, apart from certain theories that I have, is that GRRM once told a French newspaper that TWOW would contain 13 POVs (which I suppose does not count prologue and epilogue one-offs).  That leaves little room for Sam, Brienne and Jaime.  

It's kind of sad though.  GRRM left some fans waiting 15 years for the next Sam or Brienne or Jaime chapter.  So if I am right, I can see persons being upset.

29 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

Jaime's POV already ended.  He left for a day's ride, and has already been gone for weeks.  Something happened and we missed it

Possibly, but not necessarily. The books do not unfold in a 100% strictly chronological order. Swords opened with a few chapters that actually occurred during the same time as the end of Clash, according to Martin's "note on chronology" before the first chapter.

30 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

My evidence for this, apart from certain theories that I have, is that GRRM once told a French newspaper that TWOW would contain 13 POVs (which I suppose does not count prologue and epilogue one-offs).  That leaves little room for Sam, Brienne and Jaime.  

That's interesting. I think that, if that's still true, the surviving PoVs that will be lost will be Connington's, Brienne's, and possibly Melisandre's (less sure on this one). I don't believe for one second that Sam or Jaime will not have PoV chapters in Winds. Sam has too much important plot-relevant information to uncover (and he's our only PoV in the Reach), and Jaime's psychological journey has not yet been completed. 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, Mister Smikes said:

I'm curious about your source. As it stands now, it looks like there are more than 13 POVs planned for The Winds of Winter:

Confirmed POVs for The Winds of Winter are:

• Aeron: at least two chapters confirmed
  • Areo: at least two chapters confirmed
  • Arianne: at least three chapters confirmed
  • Arya: at least five chapters confirmed
  • Asha: at least three chapters confirmed
  • Barristan: at least three chapters confirmed
  • Bran: at least one chapter confirmed
  • Cersei: at least three chapters confirmed
  • Daenerys: at least two chapters confirmed
  • Davos: at least one chapter confirmed
  • Jon Connington: at least two chapters confirmed
  • Melisandre: at least three chapters confirmed
  • Samwell: at least one chapter confirmed
  • Sansa: at least one chapter confirmed
  • Theon: at least two chapters confirmed
  • Tyrion: at least five chapters confirmed
  • Victarion: at least four chapters confirmed

This is based on what was mentioned in George's NotABlog or in other interviews. The only POVs GRRM has not explicitly mentioned for The Winds of Winter are Brienne, Jaime and Jon Snow. 

Unless after a major rewrite of the book (which is very likely to have happened) all previous plans with the POVs were undone... I think we will see all the living POVs back in TWOW. So that's 20 POVs, not including those from the prologue and epilogue.

2 hours ago, $erPounce said:

I'm curious about your source. As it stands now, it looks like there are more than 13 POVs planned for The Winds of Winter:

There seems something wrong with this list

3 hours ago, $erPounce said:

This is based on what was mentioned in George's NotABlog or in other interviews. The only POVs GRRM has not explicitly mentioned for The Winds of Winter are Brienne, Jaime and Jon Snow. 

Unless after a major rewrite of the book (which is very likely to have happened) all previous plans with the POVs were undone... I think we will see all the living POVs back in TWOW. So that's 20 POVs, not including those from the prologue and epilogue.

His projection of 13 POVs comes from a statement he made to Le Novel Observateur.  He also said that by the end there would be fewer.

8 are definitely confirmed via sample chapters:  Aeron, Arianne, Arya, Barristan, Sansa, Theon, Tyrion, Victarion.

Hotah and Cersei are semi-confirmed by debatable statements from GRRM.  If so, that brings us to 10.

That, if we trust his statement to Le Nouvel Observateur,  leaves room for 3 of the following:    Asha, Bran, Brienne, Dany, Davos, Jaime, Jon Snow, Jon Connington, Melisandre, Samwell.

Asha and Bran are allegedly confirmed by fan detective work.  I don't trust this fan detective work.  If it turns out to be wrong, no-one will be able to claim that GRRM lied to them.  Or, to put it another way, this has been "confirmed" by dubious spywork, but not by GRRM.

Davos, Samwell, Melisandre and Jon Connington are unconfirmed AFAIK.  And, so is Dany, I think, though I'm almost sure she'll have a POV.

3 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

His projection of 13 POVs comes from a statement he made to Le Novel Observateur.  He also said that by the end there would be fewer.

8 are definitely confirmed via sample chapters:  Aeron, Arianne, Arya, Barristan, Sansa, Theon, Tyrion, Victarion.

Hotah and Cersei are semi-confirmed by debatable statements from GRRM.  If so, that brings us to 10.

That, if we trust his statement to Le Nouvel Observateur,  leaves room for 3 of the following:    Asha, Bran, Brienne, Dany, Davos, Jaime, Jon Snow, Jon Connington, Melisandre, Samwell.

Maybe the number of chapters per POV in my previous post are wrong, because possible rewrites of chapters were not factored in by BryndenBFish, but I have absolutely no doubt that every POV (except for maybe one or two POVs) would return in TWOW.

That about the thirteen POVs in TWOW: I think GRRM made a mistake because he underestimated in the interview how many POVs he has in FeastDance, or a structural error in his sentence formulation or maybe there is a translation error. It seems very unrealistic that so many POVs are not going to make their appearance in TWOW: many characters' story arcs have not been (fully) completed. Yes, parts of their story arcs can be told from other POVs. But for some POVs, this is not immediately possible, because they are in some location far away from other POVs.

It is possible that TWOW will finish with only 13 living POVs.... But if TWOW as a whole contained only 13 POVs, it would mean that certain storylines that GRRM has spent years building up would be dropped like a brick, because he wants to drastically reduce the number of POVs. All that build-up in FeastDance would be useless if a large portion of those events will happen off-page in that case (like Skagos or the Riverlands situation or the events in the Citadel or beyond the Wall). That's not something I think GRRM will do.

At this point, I only see one character with the possibility of losing his POV completely, and that's Jon Snow after his resurrection. That seems natural: his storyline pre-resurrection is over, and after his resurrection it's likely that he'll become a different kind of person (see Catelyn -> Stoneheart). Melisandre may very well be the person who will have a view on what happens to Jon. But I'm not sure GRRM would do such a thing. After all, Jon Snow is one of the main characters.

Maybe the number of chapters per POV in my previous post are wrong, because possible rewrites of chapters were not factored in by BryndenBFish, ...

BBFish's leaps of logic extend far far beyond not considering GRRM changing his mind.

but I have absolutely no doubt that every POV (except for maybe one or two POVs) would return in TWOW.
That about the thirteen POVs in TWOW: I think GRRM made a mistake because he underestimated in the interview how many POVs he has in FeastDance, or a structural error in his sentence formulation or maybe there is a translation error.

"You can't trust that crazy GURM - trust us, the enlightened and orthodox fan community" seems a common attitude on these forums.

I'm not saying GRRMs statement was not a bit tentative.  But I'll trust GRRM tentative estimate of 13 POVs before I will trust $erPounce's absolute certainty of 18-20 POVs.  And if it ends up being off, I would expect it to be off by maybe 1 or 2 POVs, not 5-7 POVs.

The odds of a translation error seem minimal.  Le Nouvel Observateur is not an amateur outfit.

It seems very unrealistic that so many POVs are not going to make their appearance in TWOW: many characters' story arcs have not been (fully) completed.

Let's see.  Jon was assassinated; Brienne was hanged; Sam was "put to bed" by a Faceless Assassin; Jaime was lured into the woods at midnight by Ms Take-The-Sword-and-Slay-the-Kingslayer; Bran ate Jojen and turned into a tree; Davos disappeared into the mist and might not return until (for example) Rickon shows up in a climactic Theon/Sansa/Arya/Jon chapter flying the Skagos Dragon (or something like that). Mel and JonCon were introduced for limited purposes, which may already be achieved.  Asha is with Theon.

I'm not saying that all of the above POVs are necessarily dead or otherwise eliminated.  But it may be that only some of them will return.  But even if they are not dead (or zombies or tree monsters or faceless dopplegangers) they could go on a POV hiatus that lasts the entirety of book 6, pending some climactic reveal in book 7.

And, although I would not predict it, I can even see Dany going on a book-long POV break, where she loses herself and grows more and more mad, as seen through the eyes of her terrified subjects; only to (maybe) regain her sanity and her POV status in book 7.

Yes, parts of their story arcs can be told from other POVs. But for some POVs, this is not immediately possible, because they are in some location far away from other POVs.

I guess people will just have to travel about, and/or receive ravens, or discuss sailors rumors.

Entire complex novels have been written from a single POV.  But somehow the fan community has convinced itself that you can't possibly tell a story with "only" 13 POVs.  Bizarre.

GRRM says the threads of the story are going to start coming together.  If that is so, why cannot we find things out when the main characters find out?  He's sure to have a few left, after all.

It is possible that TWOW will finish with only 13 living POVs....

He said he would finish with fewer than 13 POVs.

But if TWOW as a whole contained only 13 POVs, it would mean that certain storylines that GRRM has spent years building up would be dropped like a brick, because he wants to drastically reduce the number of POVs. All that build-up in FeastDance would be useless if a large portion of those events will happen off-page in that case (like Skagos or the Riverlands situation or the events in the Citadel or beyond the Wall).

It depends on where you think these storylines are going.

That about the thirteen POVs in TWOW: I think GRRM made a mistake because he underestimated in the interview how many POVs he has in FeastDance, or a structural error in his sentence formulation or maybe there is a translation error.

Something worth remembering: GRRM is absolutely awful at math. Numbers and ages are not something he particularly keeps track of or cares about, which is unfortunately one of the reasons there are so many child brides.

We know GRRM has purposely played with numbers in the series, specifically army sizes.

We also know that he’s forgetful about the minutiae of details like eye color or relations for less important characters.

Finally, we as fans tend to get caught up on the minutiae in a way GRRM sometimes does not mean for us to. 

At one point there was major theory about Jeyne Westerling trading places with her sister because Catelyn describes her on multiple occasions as having wide, child-bearing hips. Later in FeastDance, Jaime describes Jeyne as having narrow hips. I’m pretty sure GRRM either made a statement on the discrepancy or had it changed in late editions because the theory was so popular.

All this is to say, the 13 POVs could be a mixture of these three things we all know.

- He could have said a lower number because there’s legitimate confusion in-universe and in-fandom about whether or not 3 POVs are currently alive (Jon, Brienne, Jaime).

- He could just not remember the minutiae of how many POVs he has

- we as fans could be reading way into that 13 number

1 hour ago, Mister Smikes said:

Hilarious.  Yes.  You can't trust GRRM with numbers beyond 10.  After all, he has only 10 fingers.  Hence, we the fans know better than the author.:)

Did you even bother to read the rest of my post, or did you decide to jump straight to condescension?

Theres plenty of examples where GRRM’s math skills have led to unrealistic events or figures, even for the fantasy setting. Considering Lucerys taking out Aemond’s when Luke himself is five. 

GRRM has even admitted this himself about some figures, at least for sure the wall’s size:

George took great relish in sharing what he heard from the former quarry master [that].. to the top of the Magheramorne wall was a height of 400 feet. George was stunned, and kept looking at it and muttering, “I made the Wall too tall! It’s just too tall!” He later said that he had congratulated himself on not making it 1,000 feet tall, thinking that 700 was a more realistic figure. Quite a lot of chagrin and humor there, and he’d point this detail out to a couple of other people on the set while we were there.

Source: https://www.westeros.org/Features/Entry/4851/https://www.westeros.org/Features/Entry/4851/

The page about Theories re Jeyne Westerling provides citations for his mistake regarding her hips here: https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jeyne_Westerling/Theories

It’s pretty well-known in the fandom that GRRM does slip on certain details, which is how our own webmasters got involved with him on a major level to begin with. So I really don’t think it’s that far to speculate that he was just saying a number off the top of his head.

if we go by the rigid numbers set in your initial post re 13 POVs, It could very well be 11 confirmed, since we also know that there will be a prologue that shows Jeyne Westerling. Fan speculation has suggested Forley Prester, Lem of the Brotherhood, Lady Westerling, or others. The prologues and epilogues have never been a previous-POV, but he could break that and use Brienne or Jaime, who knows.

We also know Davos is semi-confirmed because of multiple comments that we will see unicorns, and he’s the POV known to be heading to Skaagos where there are unicorns. Asha is semi-confirmed since we have seen a screenshot of a page narrated by her, and he was “visiting” her in 2020. He’s also stated there’s a complementary chapter between Arianne II and III, and that’s he’s decided to show the battle of Storms End on page. JonCon is the only POV 100 leagues from Storms End, so we can consider him confirmed  

There, 13 POVs. Guess we’re not going to see Bran or Dany, but who cares? It’s not like they’re important to the plot, anyway. Or maybe 13 was an off-the-cuff number thrown out because he didn’t feel like counting how many POVs there are. 

Archived