Jump to content

What Jon Snow Should Have Done When He Received The Pink Letter


Recommended Posts

Let me start off by saying this, Jon Snow is a very restrained character. I agree that in the first novel, he does try to defect after he hear of Ned Stark's death, but after that Jon seems to keep his feelings for his family away till the Pink Letter arrives. I don't think Jon has a visible reaction to the Red Wedding but he does have one to Bran and Rickon seemingly dying at the hands of Theon Greyjoy. Even after the Red Wedding, Jon continues his political neutrality. But when the Pink Letter arrives, Jon throws his restraint away and gets himself killed(Yes, Jon is dead imo). What Jon should have done is rather, invited Ramsay to take back all the things he asked for by coming to the Wall and giving Ramsay battle rather than marching out to face Ramsay under the walls of Winterfell. This would be much more practical for a lot of reasons. One, it wouldn't be viewed by the other officers of the Night's Watch as a break in their political neutrality as an invitation to Castle Black can interpreted in several different ways depending on how Jon writes it.  Second, a long march to the Wall would take a toll on Ramsay's host reducing his numbers to equal Jon's. Third of all, Jon knows the area of the Gift way better than Ramsay does. The Dreadfort is south of Winterfell so Ramsay has no exposure to the area of the Gift. This way, Jon could have easily destroyed the attacking Bolton army, getting his revenge on the Boltons and Freys for the Red Wedding. Although, if Jon did take this course of action, it would be counterproductive to Stannis's plans as I think Stannis will use Lightbringer to convince the Boltons that he is dead and will have Manderly men open the gates of Winterfell for him. Anyway, this was just my thinking to how Jon should have reacted to the Pink Letter(which was written by Ramsay). How do you guys think Jon will be resurrected(if he is at all?), and what will he do after his resurrection? My guess is that he will lead the ranging to Hardhome to try and combat the Others from gaining more wights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Jon made one fundamentally good realization which he didn't capitalize on. He realized that Ramsay's letter (if it was in fact Ramsay's) was in fact a declaration of war.

However, what he should have done in that context is stay put and wait for Ramsay to come to him, instead of attempting to march out. Had he done that, for one, Bowen and the rest while still being traitorous scum that would have likely tried to kill Jon, they would have had a way harder time justifying it, not to mention that the butterflies might have prevented the assassination. However, Jon didn't know that so whatever.

More importantly however would be the advantages Jon would have against Ramsay. For one, Ramsay would be forced to march on the Wall. Leaving aside the logistical nightmare this would be, it would also mean that Roose would have to justify attacking the Night's Watch to his vassals, something that could potentially make dissent reach a boiling point. Also, while the fortifications are limited, the Wall still does provide a good defensive platform.

Over all, had Jon stayed put, if the Pink Letter was in fact real, Ramsay would have had to deal with impossible logistics, prepared defenses and the legitimacy nightmare of attacking the Night's Watch.

Of course, it is understandable why he didn't, the stuff Ramsay put in his letter would be enough to make anyone lose their temper, and I do think it's highly possible, if alright probable that had he had time to cool off, Jon probably would have stayed put at the Wall regardless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, YoungGriffonis said:

I think Jon made one fundamentally good realization which he didn't capitalize on. He realized that Ramsay's letter (if it was in fact Ramsay's) was in fact a declaration of war.

However, what he should have done in that context is stay put and wait for Ramsay to come to him, instead of attempting to march out. Had he done that, for one, Bowen and the rest while still being traitorous scum that would have likely tried to kill Jon, they would have had a way harder time justifying it, not to mention that the butterflies might have prevented the assassination. However, Jon didn't know that so whatever.

More importantly however would be the advantages Jon would have against Ramsay. For one, Ramsay would be forced to march on the Wall. Leaving aside the logistical nightmare this would be, it would also mean that Roose would have to justify attacking the Night's Watch to his vassals, something that could potentially make dissent reach a boiling point. Also, while the fortifications are limited, the Wall still does provide a good defensive platform.

Over all, had Jon stayed put, if the Pink Letter was in fact real, Ramsay would have had to deal with impossible logistics, prepared defenses and the legitimacy nightmare of attacking the Night's Watch.

Of course, it is understandable why he didn't, the stuff Ramsay put in his letter would be enough to make anyone lose their temper, and I do think it's highly possible, if alright probable that had he had time to cool off, Jon probably would have stayed put at the Wall regardless.

If you ask me Jon should have sent shireen, Mel etc to the nightfort as soon as he read the letter. Then he should have written a letter to all Lord paramount urging for peace. Then he should have tried to negotiate with roose, he is the lord not ramsay. That’s what dany would have done, the peaceful thing.

I have a feeling that I have seen this thread before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, YoungGriffonis said:

I think Jon made one fundamentally good realization which he didn't capitalize on. He realized that Ramsay's letter (if it was in fact Ramsay's) was in fact a declaration of war.

However, what he should have done in that context is stay put and wait for Ramsay to come to him, instead of attempting to march out. Had he done that, for one, Bowen and the rest while still being traitorous scum that would have likely tried to kill Jon, they would have had a way harder time justifying it, not to mention that the butterflies might have prevented the assassination. However, Jon didn't know that so whatever.

More importantly however would be the advantages Jon would have against Ramsay. For one, Ramsay would be forced to march on the Wall. Leaving aside the logistical nightmare this would be, it would also mean that Roose would have to justify attacking the Night's Watch to his vassals, something that could potentially make dissent reach a boiling point. Also, while the fortifications are limited, the Wall still does provide a good defensive platform.

Over all, had Jon stayed put, if the Pink Letter was in fact real, Ramsay would have had to deal with impossible logistics, prepared defenses and the legitimacy nightmare of attacking the Night's Watch.

Of course, it is understandable why he didn't, the stuff Ramsay put in his letter would be enough to make anyone lose their temper, and I do think it's highly possible, if alright probable that had he had time to cool off, Jon probably would have stayed put at the Wall regardless.

I agree. Jon should have took some time to calm down and think it through before deciding a course of action. Also, an attack on the Night's Watch would have been an action against the Iron Throne and would have been a direct violation against the Iron Throne which gives the Boltons their power over the North.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2021 at 10:38 PM, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Also, an attack on the Night's Watch would have been an action against the Iron Throne and would have been a direct violation against the Iron Throne which gives the Boltons their power over the North.

Considering Cersei's "master plan" that likely would have counted for squat, however it is true that an attack on the Night's Watch would have obliterated even the veneer of legitimacy the Boltons tried to have, but mostly due to how much the Northern Lords respect the Watch.

On 9/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, Daenerysthegreat said:

That’s what dany would have done, the peaceful thing.

Really depends on which Dany you're talking about.

AGOT through ASOS Dany would have gone to war plunging head first (much like Jon, Aegon truly does have the best temper out of the Targs, smh) while ADWD Dany would have probably bent over backwards so hard for peace that she would have complied with Ramsay's ultimatum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, YoungGriffonis said:

AGOT through ASOS Dany would have gone to war plunging head first (much like Jon, Aegon truly does have the best temper out of the Targs, smh) while ADWD Dany would have probably bent over backwards so hard for peace that she would have complied with Ramsay's ultimatum.

Straight facts. Dany should have continued to be war mongering would have led to stabilizing peace throughout slaver’s bay. Her ADWD personality is annoying at least and enraging at most

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, YoungGriffonis said:

Really depends on which Dany you're talking about.

AGOT through ASOS Dany would have gone to war plunging head first (much like Jon, Aegon truly does have the best temper out of the Targs, smh) while ADWD Dany would have probably bent over backwards so hard for peace that she would have complied with Ramsay's ultimatum.

Actually no.

ACOK Dany would've chosen to eiher stay put or run away rather than to give war. AGOT Dany would've gone to war plunging head first only to immediately regret it and go to some drastic lengths in an attempt to make it better.

ASOS Dany is the only one who would've gone to war and stayed the course until the war was fought and won.

But yes....ADWD Dany is exactly the type who would have complied with Ramsay's ultimatum. If it even got that far because to be honest, ADWD Dany would never agree to Melisandre and Mance's plans.

That whole "let's make Mance and Rattleshirt switch places, kill Rattleshirt, send Mance and a couple of other wildlings to Winterfell in disguise so they can spy on the Boltons and rescue a girl who they can't verify as being Arya" plan honestly sounds like something that Daario or maybe even Jorah would suggest only for Dany to almost immediately shut it down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

I agree. Jon should have took some time to calm down and think it through before deciding a course of action. Also, an attack on the Night's Watch would have been an action against the Iron Throne and would have been a direct violation against the Iron Throne which gives the Boltons their power over the North.

You think so?

I'm sure that (almost) everything that the Boltons had worked so hard for would be immediately destroyed by attacking the Night's Watch...fArya be damned. Civil war in the North would be guaranteed.

But the Iron Throne? I doubt any of them would care.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

You think so?

I'm sure that (almost) everything that the Boltons had worked so hard for would be immediately destroyed by attacking the Night's Watch...fArya be damned. Civil war in the North would be guaranteed.

But the Iron Throne? I doubt any of them would care.

How, Jon is the one that betrayed the paths of the night’s watch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2021 at 4:01 PM, Daenerysthegreat said:

How, Jon is the one that betrayed the paths of the night’s watch

Huh? He let some wildlings through, but even the Mountain Clans who have more reason than most to hate the wildlings see the wisdom in doing so, or at least are grudgingly accepting of Jon's call

On 9/23/2021 at 2:47 PM, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

Straight facts. Dany should have continued to be war mongering would have led to stabilizing peace throughout slaver’s bay. Her ADWD personality is annoying at least and enraging at most

Yeah, it's kinda funny cause with the enemy that deserved no mercy and no negotiations (the slavers) she basically bent over backwards to make peace, but now, when she's about to invade Westeros, a place where she needs tact and diplomacy to secure her reign, her past in Slaver's Bay will probably make her go full fire and blood.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...