Covid-19 #39: Shooting the Messenger

Fragile Bird

13 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Right, and getting a breakthrough infection after two doses of vaccine; does that result in Super-Duper-Jedi-Ninja-Immunity(TM)?

Yes. Though I would advise against giving it such a cool descriptions because that would only encourage people to do what you are arguing against.

And ... more, MORE! Idaho horse paste.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/16/idaho-covid-gop-ryan-cole/

Leaders of Idaho’s most populous county were deluged with constituent emails last month as they prepared to choose the newest member of a once-obscure regional health board. A former president of the American Academy of Family Physicians who served on the board for 15 years had just been let go over his support for pandemic restrictions.

To many, the clear choice for the replacement during a pandemic was an epidemiologist endorsed by the Idaho Medical Association. But hundreds wrote in for another doctor — backed by the Ada County Republican Party — who has called coronavirus vaccines “fake.”

The Republican commissioners of the county — which encompasses the state capital, Boise — said they welcomed Ryan Cole’s “outsider” perspective and willingness to “question” established medical guidance. They appointed him over the protests of their lone Democratic colleague.

The WaPo also has a frightening map charting rate of vacination with rate of hospitalization throughout the country.  Idaho is a leader!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/09/23/covid-vaccination-hospitalization-map/

It's going to make everything that already gone to shyte about a thousand times worse now, as the rethuglicans shut down the federal government, which looks like is coming.

Let's face it. That epidemiologist wouldn't have lasted a month, since they would have advocated for doing something that actually works to slow down the disease quite soon after being appointed. Since the reason for the vacancy in the first place was someone daring to do just that another dismissal was inevitable until the the "right" person was appointed.

Idaho is just south of us. It's times like these that I'm so fucking glad the border is closed. 

In other news:

Study finds more active-duty police officers died of COVID-19 in 2020 than all other causes combined

From the study (emphasis added)

Of the 264 officers who have died in the line of duty, there were 145 confirmed Covid-19 cases. It must be noted however, as the pandemic rages on, NLEOMF has already identified a significant number of additional Covid-19-related fatalities. Once these cases are confirmed, NLEOMF projects that the total number of Covid-19 fatalities and the total number of line-of-duty deaths will grow significantly. Unfortunately, even with the preliminary Covid-19 fatalities, 2020 had the highest number of law enforcement line-of- duty deaths since 1974.

+1 double jabbed on the march to 85% and though not herd immunity it seems to be a level of population immunity that will see an end to significant deaths and stress on the health system.

I vote 85 be the official number for 2022, and it should be a global number.

9 cases today. First single digit day since the early days of the outbreak. Most encouraging. Also the small town where the gang member / prisoner was living and passed on the infection to his family will now be dropping out of lockdown after extensive testing. That's also very encouraging.

42 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just watching a news broadcast that mentioned vaccinations in the US had stalled again, after hopes of a pick-up because of Delta. I haven’t looked at US numbers lately and holy crap! Not even 55% of the country fully vaccinated? That’s depressing.

That includes our ineligible children, right?  I think you will see a big uptick once there is pediatric approval.  But we have a low ceiling unfortunately, and the population of the vaccinated is not evenly distributed.  

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just watching a news broadcast that mentioned vaccinations in the US had stalled again, after hopes of a pick-up because of Delta. I haven’t looked at US numbers lately and holy crap! Not even 55% of the country fully vaccinated? That’s depressing.

Israel and the UK are in similar situations. Vaccinations in Israel took off like a rocket at the beginning of the year and hit a wall at around 60%. The UK was also ahead of us at the beginning of the year. We overtook them in June.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

That includes our ineligible children, right?  I think you will see a big uptick once there is pediatric approval.  But we have a low ceiling unfortunately, and the population of the vaccinated is not evenly distributed.  

Yes, but the % of the whole population fully vaccinated in Canada is 70%, the 12+ group just hit 80%. Many EU countries are at that level or better. I thought the US would be well over 60% fully vaccinated by now. 15% below Canada is pretty depressing.

Like in the US, our numbers are pulled down by western provinces. Alberta and Saskatchewan are at the worst levels in Canada, but even they are at 60% fully vaccinated. I’ve always said Alberta is the most American province we have.

One of my TX friends commented, after checking on the hermancainaward-subreddit-antivaxxer-deaths-cataloged site: "Gawd. Do the anti-vaxxers willing to die think it's the rapture?”

Her question cleared up the paradox, of why are these people doing this. They actually have reasons, which you see on their social media, the ugly, cruel, shyte about ‘others’, about their insane conspiracies of satanism, aliens, etc. they glory in posting.  It’s pretty simple. 

Owning the Dems, feminists, gaze, foreigners, teachers and scientists, that's pretty rapturous all right. Besides covid is a hoax so they ain't daid. It's just da stoopid libs can't see they ain't daid. This is indeed the Rapture for people whose lives are organized around hate and cruelty, so their rapture keeps a'comin' because they know their illnesses and deaths are helping to bring into a being a world in which everything they hate, including even public health safety networks, because it also helps the Others, and taxes pay for it, is brought to an end.

They are true believers, who are more than willing to die in service to their cruelty and hatred because the kind of world that isn't that literally offends them that much!

Though we occasionally hear of one of them dying, begging now for the vaccine, the proof is seldom or never do we hear they expressed any regret about just who they infected/killed on their merry way to freedumb to be cruel.  Never heard/read about the unvaccinated talk about just who they booted out of the hospital (Hit by a speeding crazy? -- lots of that going one here --  Cancer?  Heart attack?  Etc.) and potentially killed because they have all the beds. Though perhaps a relative does, we don't hear or read about them thanking doctors for taking care of their jerkwaddy asses. They literally are dying to win, which means killing the rest of us in one way and another. So, ya. They win, Yay!

Yet I've never heard either that those who own them, such as Fox, Twit, FB, Mar-a-lago, deSantis, etc., thanking them for their service in this war to destroy anything public, anything democratic, anything positive remaining in this country.

Additionally, another friend in this TX circle responded, "I have never heard/read about the maskless or unvaccinated disrupting an airline flight or assaulting a restaurant hostess, teacher, or student.”

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Like in the US, our numbers are pulled down by western provinces. Alberta and Saskatchewan are at the worst levels in Canada, but even they are at 60% fully vaccinated. I’ve always said Alberta is the most American province we have.

Outside the major centers (Edmonton and Calgary), the vaccination stats are pretty grim. I posted the numbers for Edson earlier in this thread. The under-40 age cohorts haven't even achieved 50% fully vaccinated yet, despite the vaccine being available to them for over four months. That's typical for small town Alberta.  

53 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Outside the major centers (Edmonton and Calgary), the vaccination stats are pretty grim. I posted the numbers for Edson earlier in this thread. The under-40 age cohorts haven't even achieved 50% fully vaccinated yet, despite the vaccine being available to them for over four months. That's typical for small town Alberta.  

Look up the stories about Winkler, Manitoba!

As was commented here -- was it just yesterday? -- it's only time before the treasonous deranged shoot up a hospital or shoot doctors and nurses -- the latter of which they've already threatened.

"'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs
As the anti-vaccine movement escalates its rhetoric, doctors warn that they're dealing with the fallout: "They’re starting to target people, the messengers — nurses and doctors."

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/vigilante-treatments-anti-vaccine-groups-push-people-leave-icus-rcna2233

... There’s something that’s happening on the internet, and it’s dramatically increasing steam.”

Those concerns echo various local reports about growing threats and violence directed toward medical professionals. In Branson, Missouri, a medical center recently introduced panic buttons on employee badges because of a spike in assaults. Violence and threats against medical professionals have recently been reported in Massachusetts, Texas, Georgia and Idaho....

In the meantime --

Of course there is the other side's story.  That they won't get vaccinated is because the libs are in conspiracy to convince them not to.

"The Conservatives Who’d Rather Die Than Not Own the Libs
Rarely has so significant a faction in American politics behaved in a way that so directly claims the life of its own supporters."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/breitbart-conservatives-john-nolte-vaccine/620189/

In Nolte’s account, however, a conspiracy of evil leftist elites are to blame for vaccine skepticism on the right. “I sincerely believe the organized left is doing everything in its power to convince Trump supporters NOT to get the life-saving Trump vaccine,” Nolte writes. They are “putting unvaccinated Trump supporters in an impossible position,” he insists, “where they can either NOT get a life-saving vaccine or CAN feel like cucks caving to the ugliest, smuggest bullies in the world.”

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

As was commented here -- was it just yesterday? -- it's only time before the treasonous deranged shoot up a hospital or shoot doctors and nurses -- the latter of which they've already threatened.

"'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs
As the anti-vaccine movement escalates its rhetoric, doctors warn that they're dealing with the fallout: "They’re starting to target people, the messengers — nurses and doctors."

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/vigilante-treatments-anti-vaccine-groups-push-people-leave-icus-rcna2233

In the meantime --

Of course there is the other side's story.  That they won't get vaccinated is because the libs are in conspiracy to convince them not to.

"The Conservatives Who’d Rather Die Than Not Own the Libs
Rarely has so significant a faction in American politics behaved in a way that so directly claims the life of its own supporters."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/09/breitbart-conservatives-john-nolte-vaccine/620189/

'The libs are making me stupid by using facts. Please  make them stop!!' I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Look up the stories about Winkler, Manitoba!

I used to live there. :lmao:

Maybe this is relevant, maybe not; Winkler is an overwhelmingly Mennonite, deeply religious community. Some evangelicals but mostly Mennonite. At work, it was common to hear low German spoken in the break room and on the shop floor. There were a few people there I never heard speak anything else. I met my first young earth creationist there. 

There's one bar in the whole town and they still don't serve hard liquor last I heard. Beer and wine coolers only. In the late '70's, in a rare spasm of progressive change, they started allowing women in there. I. Am. Not. Kidding. On Sunday mornings the city is almost empty because everyone is in church. 

Morden Manitoba, about 10 kilometers down the road, is where Winkler kids move when they grow up. Somewhat more relaxed there. 

Aaand according to the Province of Manitoba website...

Vaccination Uptake Rate by Health District/Winnipeg Community (12+)

Winkler: 41.0%

Morden: 69.3%

10 klicks. Damn.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

In Nolte’s account, however, a conspiracy of evil leftist elites are to blame for vaccine skepticism on the right. “I sincerely believe the organized left is doing everything in its power to convince Trump supporters NOT to get the life-saving Trump vaccine,” Nolte writes. They are “putting unvaccinated Trump supporters in an impossible position,” he insists, “where they can either NOT get a life-saving vaccine or CAN feel like cucks caving to the ugliest, smuggest bullies in the world.”

Yes, yes; reality is sooo inconvenient. "Cuck or death?" "CUCK OR DEEEEAAAAATH!?!"

I'm reminded of the Eddie Izzard comedy routine.

@Fragile Bird

The Manitoba vaccine uptake map is hilarious. The majority of the map is a sea of medium blue (60-80%) and dark blue (80-100%). At the edge of this sea, there's a single, tiny, pale yellow island (20-40%). That's the area surrounding Winkler. That island has two small ponds in it. The pale blue (40-60%) is Winkler. The medium blue is Morden. 

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/vaccine/reports.html

Archived