Covid-19 #39: Shooting the Messenger

Fragile Bird

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Agree that the insult probably doesn't actually help anything, but they are more likely to spread it and get someone else sick, so it's not "just sport".  This guy is making anyone in his community less safe.  That's objectively bad.

Well no hes not as hes not being allowed to play. He's either affecting his teams ability to win or risking people's health. It can't be both.

3 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Agree that the insult probably doesn't actually help anything, but they are more likely to spread it and get someone else sick, so it's not "just sport".  This guy is making anyone in his community less safe.  That's objectively bad.

Considering how may people have actually died of this, or are suffering long term effects of it, someone calling a professional athlete a loser doesn't seem like a very big deal.

Its not a big deal I just find it a bit pathetic how people on this forum throw insults out left right and centre. 

1 minute ago, lessthanluke said:

Its not a big deal I just find it a bit pathetic how people on this forum throw insults out left right and centre. 

Gotcha.  I have a pretty high threshold for name calling, especially with the anti-vax crowd.  A friend of mine who is younger than I am had oral cancer last year and had to have the surgery to remove it delayed by months.  In that time it could have spread elsewhere.  She needed another procedure last month to remove part of the same mass and due to rising cases they almost had to push her back again.  

This time that rise in cases is preventable.  Anyone not getting the vaccine is helping to create these situations.  

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Gotcha.  I have a pretty high threshold for name calling, especially with the anti-vax crowd.  A friend of mine who is younger than I am had oral cancer last year and had to have the surgery to remove it delayed by months.  In that time it could have spread elsewhere.  She needed another procedure last month to remove part of the same mass and due to rising cases they almost had to push her back again.  

This time that rise in cases is preventable.  Anyone not getting the vaccine is helping to create these situations.  

Not personally wanting to get the vaccine isn't the same as being anti-vax.... this forum seems to have forgotten that.

Only reason I got it was to make my life more convenient. Made me ill for a month, wouldn't have touched it if I was rich.

4 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Not personally wanting to get the vaccine isn't the same as being anti-vax.... this forum seems to have forgotten that.

Only reason I got it was to make my life more convenient. Made me ill for a month, wouldn't have touched it if I was rich.

I'd call that (not personally getting it vs being vociferously anti-vax) a distinction without a difference.  Vaccines depend on herd immunity to minimize community spread.  

12 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

If I was a millionaire that's certainly what I'd be doing.

But they don't, do they?  They blithely party 'round and 'round, contracting, spreading, making other people sick, making fewer and fewer health resources available for those who don't behave this way.

A friend's band in Austin had to let go their drummer, and he's very very very upset about it.  He refused to get vaccinated or wear a mask.  They put up with it as long as their gigs were few and far between outdoors, but now that winter's coming on, they cannot afford him.

12 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I'd call that (not personally getting it vs being vociferously anti-vax) a distinction without a difference.  Vaccines depend on herd immunity to minimize community spread.  

Its a massive difference whether you want to recognise it or not.

Also I thought Herd immunity wasn't going to be achievable with Covid? Again what is it? Goalposts constantly getting moved.

6 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Fact is none of you know shit about their reasons or what they do in their personal life. You just want to act superior.

Totally true know one knows their reasons, but I'm going to guess you also have the same lack of knowledge into why someone remaining unvaccinated would bother someone else.  I'm guessing it's not always about superiority.  It might have something to do with not perpetuating or making worse a pandemic we've all been dealing with for a year and a half.

11 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Its a massive difference whether you want to recognise it or not.

Also I thought Herd immunity wasn't going to be achievable with Covid? Again what is it? Goalposts constantly getting moved.

Anyone vaccinated is less likely to spread it and less likely to need medical care.  I'm not sure how that's goalpost moving.  

13 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Fact is none of you know shit about their reasons or what they do in their personal life. You just want to act superior.

Well that’s one theory.

Or more than 600,000 of my countrymen are dead, we’re about to break 700,000, and yet people still refuse to get a free vaccine to help slow down this virus.

18 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

It is an objective fact that people who don't get vaccinated are increasing the danger to others because of the increased risk of passing it on and also the increased chance they will get sick and further overload already overstretched resources - unless they live in total isolation, and while as a millionaire he does not have to work, I bet he is not cleaning his own house, washing his own clothes or cooking all his own meals, even if he is trying to self isolate.

Similarly, while it is conceivable that some personal circumstance might prevent him getting vaccinated, then it would seem only sociable for him to declare it, so as to avoid the risk of other people using him as an example and following his lead. Not to mention that if there was such a reason then they might consider making an exception and allowing him to play anyway.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I remember moving into my host's place in Buenos Aires and first running into one of these. Took me a week to work up the nerve to use it. Game changer! Just like how a water pick can replace flossing.

Actually this is not the case, water flossing should be used in conjunction with traditional floss!

Superior to what exactly am I thinking?  Unless you mean I feel superior to those who refuse to be vaccinated?  Well, no, I don't.  I just want them to eff off and die alone, far far far from others and be cremated asap without mourners.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Why yes, the athletes of national basketball and football and so on and so forth are notorious for staying at home quietly at all times except when playing on the floor or the arena.  They seldom or never have been seen gathering in large noisy groups in very pricey nightspots where they can be worshipped from afar while partying as hearty as ... as ... as ... um other celebrities. :rofl:

How to hire Andrew Wiggins for an event

Learn how to hire Andrew Wiggins or research availability and pricing for booking Andrew Wiggins to speak or appear at a corporate event, fundraiser, private party, social media campaign, fair or festival, tradeshow or conference, endorsement project, or hire Andrew Wiggins as a guest speaker, please submit the form to our agency.

Archived