Covid-19 #39: Shooting the Messenger

Fragile Bird

So the latest with the unvaxxed misbehavior.

Unvaxxed man bumrushes into pharmacy, punches female nurse multiple times in her face and then runs away.

You cannot make up more outrageous behavior than these pos assaulters are pulling.

"Man punches nurse in the face multiple times after his wife is vaccinated for Covid"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/americas/covid-vaccine-assault-nurse-canada-trnd/index.html

Eta: This bs needs to be prosecuted with felony level penalties 

2 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Why not prosecute them for domestic terrorism? They're willingly spreading a deadly disease and assaulting people.

Because that's not domestic terrorism. 

Really, the idea that you should be using heavy penalties by the government to prosecute people doing crimes you don't personally like should be a really really scary notion. Especially given who will likely be running the government in the not-too-distant future. 

5 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Because that's not domestic terrorism. 

Really, the idea that you should be using heavy penalties by the government to prosecute people doing crimes you don't personally like should be a really really scary notion. Especially given who will likely be running the government in the not-too-distant future. 

While I don't disagree with you there is a compelling argument that they are going to do it regardless, so get your punches in first. 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:07 PM, Clueless Northman said:

Thing is, covid globally increases your risk of death, at least if you're an adult, and that increase seems to be fairly stable and linear: let's say 50% increase if you're 40 and 51% if you're 85. 

Interesting way to put it.  Before COVID-19, an 85 year old had a far higher risk of dieing than a 50 year old.  And COVID hasn't changed the ratio (just increased the values).  Is that being researched?

The US FDA has a meeting on the Pfizer vaccine for kids betwene 5-11 on the 26th Oct.  So things keep moving along.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/10/01/fda-meetings-kid-covid-vaccines-514897

So, interesting anecdote.  My older sister went to a reunion/retreat for her service fraternity from college.  Everyone was fully vaccinated.  They stayed in a summer camp in cabins (and did a sort of habitat for humanity project).  There were about 75 attendees.  She fully admitted that mask wearing was not at all perfect especially while they were working, and in their cabins, and they all had meals together (but outside).  There are currently 7 break-through cases (7 days later) coming out of the weekend, all among people who had the Pfizer vaccine, none of them more serious than a bad head cold.  So, sort of consistent with the data?  She rode in a car to and from there with one of the cases (but they were both masked in the car), and has been working from home from an abundance of caution, but she has had two PCRs (one Weds. and one yesterday) and so far nothing.  She had Moderna.  She is going to have one more PCR next Weds, and sort of go on with her life.  Her job is not requiring quarantine because she is vaccinated.  Her job does have a mask requirement to be in-person.

2 hours ago, Padraig said:

Interesting way to put it.  Before COVID-19, an 85 year old had a far higher risk of dieing than a 50 year old.  And COVID hasn't changed the ratio (just increased the values).  Is that being researched?

I saw a link on Twitter last spring, about a study that more or less concluded risk of death was doubled for everyone with covid above 35-40 y old. Of course it was Vanilla and Alpha covid back then, so people under 30 basically had no risk unless severe comorbidity, people above 40 were all at increased risk, whatever their age; it's just that when you're 45, your odd of dying in the next year are usually low, unlike 85-y old. I would expect Delta to have significantly lowered the bat, at least at 30-y if not less. Though I've searched a bit and I didn't save any link... Was most probably posted on Yaneer bar Yam's or Eric Feigl Ding's account. Of course, it's just one study, but we now have a good idea of covid risk of death, so if one had plenty of time, it's probably possible to check latest studies, compared to pre-2020 death charts, and make the math.

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So the latest with the unvaxxed misbehavior.

Unvaxxed man bumrushes into pharmacy, punches female nurse multiple times in her face and then runs away.

You cannot make up more outrageous behavior than these pos assaulters are pulling.

"Man punches nurse in the face multiple times after his wife is vaccinated for Covid"

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/23/americas/covid-vaccine-assault-nurse-canada-trnd/index.html

Eta: This bs needs to be prosecuted with felony level penalties 

Grrrr.

7 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

Why not prosecute them for domestic terrorism? They're willingly spreading a deadly disease and assaulting people.

Well...

Cody Lee Pfister, 26, of Warrenton, has been charged by the Warren County Prosecuting Attorney's Office with a terrorist threat in the second degree. 

In the posted video, Pfister looks at the camera and asks, "Who's scared of coronavirus?" before licking a row of deodorant sticks for purchase. 

Court documents state the incident took place March 11.

Pfister "knowingly caused a false belief or fear that a condition involving danger to life existed," court documents state, adding that he acted "with reckless disregard of the risk causing the evacuation, quarantine or closure of any portion" of Walmart.

How about we get serious about enforcing restrictions? Covid challenge video on tic-tok, scream at a business owner or a food server, violate indoor masking policies, harass a teacher or medical worker; you can spend a day or two in jail until the magistrate gets around to determining your fine.

Beat the shit out of a nurse for doing her job? They should throw him under the goddamn jail.

Wellington now has the highest first jab rate in the country. Is it a coincidence that Wellington is also the most educated and highest average income part of the country (mostly because of high % of govt employees in Wellington, being the capital)? Maybe, maybe not.

39 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Wellington now has the highest first jab rate in the country. Is it a coincidence that Wellington is also the most educated and highest average income part of the country (mostly because of high % of govt employees in Wellington, being the capital)? Maybe, maybe not.

In another week or two you'll overtake Albertas percentages for first jabs. Nice.

Have you seen Japans vaccination curve? 71% first jabs and 60% second. The two curves are nearly synchronized. There is little variation and no plateauing at all. They are still rising at the same rate they were when they ramped up at the end of May. I can only assume they are vaccinating people at work or they are scheduling them months in advance. This is how it's done. 

I was just reading that our Premier is asking Ottawa for the J&J single dose vaccine because apparently, "Some vaccine hesitant Albertans would prefer it." I'm surrounded by fucking idiots. Sadly, Ottawa has none to send. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

In another week or two you'll overtake Albertas percentages for first jabs. Nice.

Have you seen Japans vaccination curve? 71% first jabs and 60% second. The two curves are nearly synchronized. There is little variation and no plateauing at all. They are still rising at the same rate they were when they ramped up at the end of May. I can only assume they are vaccinating people at work or they are scheduling them months in advance. This is how it's done. 

I was just reading that our Premier is asking Ottawa for the J&J single dose vaccine because apparently, "Some vaccine hesitant Albertans would prefer it." I'm surrounded by fucking idiots. Sadly, Ottawa has none to send. 

I think there is definitely a case to be made for the one shot vaccine as part of a strategy to maximise uptake, if it will help get more fence sitters across the line. Nothing is going to convince the vehemently anti-vax, but if people know they only need to risk one occurrence of side effects rather than two they might be more willing to be convinced to take the shot. And since the vast majority won't suffer any significant side effects, they will be less averse to a booster, so long as it can be stretched out to an annual booster. I don't think there will be a very good compliance rate with 6/8 month booster frequency.

4PM announcement about what is going to happen to Auckland about to start.

5 unamed members of the England football squad are unvaccinated. There is no set 'squad' but you are probably looking at about 30-35 people, that seems a very high percentage to me. If I was the manager I would just not select them. 

Interesting. For our rugby teams the Union has not put a mandate in place for domestic competition, but they have said all players who will be traveling internationally must be fully vaccinated. So if a player has international aspirations they either get vaxed or put their aspirations on hold until this whole thing blows over, whenever that might be, and risk losing their shot at international glory.

Why not prosecute them for domestic terrorism? 

it'll result in less convictions than simply prosecuting for battery--it requires a higher quality and quantity of evidence, not least an abstract mens rea element. for such a trifling offense as this, furthermore, no prosecutor would charge it, because the complicated burden of proof is nevertheless not 'rewarded' in terms of commensurately enhanced penalties.

down my way, the state terrorism statute (LSA-RS 14:128.1) doesn't sweep up the nurse-puncher (the enumerated underlying offenses that trigger the act's applicability are much more severe).  we have a state 'terrorizing' statute (LSA-RS 14:40.1), kinda as a variation on common law assault, which would get at the deodorant licker for intending to cause fear. The maximum penalty is fifteen years; it's a 'relative felony,' however, not necessarily requiring 'hard labor,' lacking a minumum, and excluding forfeiture of benefits of parole, probation, suspension, or diminution. 

we had a gun-flourisher in new orleans over the weekend because he was told 'sorry we can't seat you in the restaurant without your V card.'  that's aggravated assault with a firearm (LSA-RS 14:37.4) and could be a ten-year sentence--though it's another relative felony.  

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Interesting. For our rugby teams the Union has not put a mandate in place for domestic competition, but they have said all players who will be traveling internationally must be fully vaccinated. So if a player has international aspirations they either get vaxed or put their aspirations on hold until this whole thing blows over, whenever that might be, and risk losing their shot at international glory.

Our rugby clubs have to be 85% vaccinated. But it's with the reward of lesser requirements for masking and social distancing; rather than punishments such as fines or reduced crowd sizes.
I think it's 85% of playing staff, and 85% of non-playing; rather than just players, or the club as a whole.

It's... not-nothing, I guess

31 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Our rugby clubs have to be 85% vaccinated. But it's with the reward of lesser requirements for masking and social distancing; rather than punishments such as fines or reduced crowd sizes.
I think it's 85% of playing staff, and 85% of non-playing; rather than just players, or the club as a whole.

It's... not-nothing, I guess

That's an odd requirement, who decides who doesn't get vaccinated? If a club is at 82% and no one is stepping up do they draw straws, and whoever loses has to get vaxed or leave the club to adjust the proportions, or find enough new members who are vaxed to bring it up to 85%?

Archived