Covid-19 #39: Shooting the Messenger

Fragile Bird

Neither child has show a whiff of symptoms. My son is actually kinda OCD about mask wearing, and in general doesn't associate closely with many other children (that's a separate topic and separate thread...)

The most frustrating part is I'm not allowed to know anything about the close contact.  Not who, not how many others were quarantined, not how. I'm fairly certain if we had that info we could easily determine that he's going to not be at risk...my daughter is much more outgoing and more observant, so even though they won't tell me any info, we can piece it together based on who's been out.  And based on that, this quarantine for her feels very tenuous.

And I know that sounds terrible to say, because I'm a firm believer in that we're doing too many things to allow people to get away without masking or vaccines. This shouldn't even be an issue at this point but it is and these people who persist in not doing what's right is making this worse and right now, I pretty much hate all of them...

9 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

To boost or not to boost?  I've got the Pfizer chip and because of my job (I work in person at a college) I am eligible. Note the CDC says "may" but not "should" get a booster. My campus is 99% vaccinated  (there are a few religious and medical exceptions). I DO host public events. Attendees are supposed to be vaccinated, but the college is not requiring proof, just asking that people be honest about vaccination status. Masks are required at all events and indoors on campus at all times.  So, yay or nay on the booster?  

I don't quite understand religious exemption. I could understand it if there were religions which prohibited members from using any medical technology or therapy that is less than 150 years old. Are there such religions?

Sorry to hear that Jax, even if you did Jaxom the entire world.

So this is a basketball story, to some extent, but it's better discussed here. L.A. has basically followed San Fran and NY in how cities are going to treat the unvaccinated with regards to games in their indoor arenas, that being if you work there, live there, or visit from out of town you have to be vaccinated, except for visiting players. They get a pass if they're not vaccinated, regardless if they're taking any other safety procedures. And this is being extended to all entertainers, be it comedians or musical acts. Why is this being allowed? Is it really just a craven cash grab? If I was in charge there would be absolutely no exemptions for athletes, entertainers or even visiting professors giving a lecture. There has to be one set of rules that applies to everyone, otherwise what's the point?

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sorry to hear that Jax, even if you did Jaxom the entire world.

So this is a basketball story, to some extent, but it's better discussed here. L.A. has basically followed San Fran and NY in how cities are going to treat the unvaccinated with regards to games in their indoor arenas, that being if you work there, live there, or visit from out of town you have to be vaccinated, except for visiting players. They get a pass if they're not vaccinated, regardless if they're taking any other safety procedures. And this is being extended to all entertainers, be it comedians or musical acts. Why is this being allowed? Is it really just a craven cash grab? If I was in charge there would be absolutely no exemptions for athletes, entertainers or even visiting professors giving a lecture. There has to be one set of rules that applies to everyone, otherwise what's the point?

I completely agree.

It is outrageous that exceptions are being carved out for entertainers.

We should not have one set of rules for the public and a different set for celebrities, athletes, or actors.

This is totally inappropriate.

Eta: When I first read a news article mentioning the visiting performer "pass", I had to reread it a few times because it was difficult to believe officials would be okay with such BS. It's literally rules for the peons and other rules for fortunate.

There should never be a Vegas style V.I.P. standard when it comes to public health and that's what the exceptions amount too.

Friend of mine who's had CFS for about 25 years got vaxed 2 weeks ago and got really knocked around by it. And now his CFS is doing a number on him. He really should have a medical exemption, but because there are so many numpties not getting vaxed who should be he took one for the team. He's also an artist and trying to keep up an output that gives him a decent income is hard enough with CFS, being knocked out by the vaccine for 2 weeks and now CFS being worse is going to cost him. I don't think he will get the second jab. Interesting his hands felt swollen for most of that time, which is what Eric Clapton had. But unlike Eric Clapton he hasn't turned into an anti-vax dick-hole.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If I was in charge there would be absolutely no exemptions for athletes, entertainers or even visiting professors giving a lecture.

Wasn't it a Big Deal just a few weeks ago in New Zealand -- or was it Australia -- that some actress was allowed in during lockdown?

As for visiting professors, now that we all can and do do Zoom, no longer need for visiting -- all that savings of transportation and housing costs! as well as the dinner!  :D

Mrs. Jax took both kids to a rapid testing location this morning that assures results in under 24 hours...we'll see how that goes. 

We had our daughter take the test this morning also in case we didn't get results from yesterday's test...of course, we got the results from the first one anyway and it was negative...so one bullet dodged...

Numbers of new positive tests, in for this last week in our zip code.  We've increased from 0.72 to 1.06% positive, out of 1,261 tests performed. The zips east, north and west have increased markedly, significantly higher, and were the last two weeks two.  Though the zip directly south of us remains the palest of pale, registering at essentially 0 positivity.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Mrs. Jax took both kids to a rapid testing location this morning that assures results in under 24 hours...we'll see how that goes. 

We had our daughter take the test this morning also in case we didn't get results from yesterday's test...of course, we got the results from the first one anyway and it was negative...so one bullet dodged...

All negative!

I had my first test(negative) that was not a self test yesterday. I went to the GP because of a cold(I had tested myself negative multiple times already) and it was part of the diagnosis.  My GP said that he has never seen more colds even in the middle of winter. He just said that we should be glad that covid-19 is not spreading like the bug that is the cause of the current cold wave.

It's Family Weekend at my college of employment.  Student ensembles are performing. All attendees must be vaccinated. It's on the college website. And in the press release. And on the poster.  And in the email I sent to ensemble directors. A mother shows up to see her kid sing with the college kid's younger siblings who are 14 (all good) and 6 (not vaccinated).  Mom is NOT happy when I tell her the youngest sibling can't come in. 

2 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

It's Family Weekend at my college of employment.  Student ensembles are performing. All attendees must be vaccinated. It's on the college website. And in the press release. And on the poster.  And in the email I sent to ensemble directors. A mother shows up to see her kid sing with the college kid's younger siblings who are 14 (all good) and 6 (not vaccinated).  Mom is NOT happy when I tell her the youngest sibling can't come in. 

See, the college I was recently employed at (contracted), would have said all of that, would have posted all of that, and then when the event time arrived they'd have been making exceptions right and left...it's a miracle things haven't been worse...

A lot of people are predicting / hoping the govt will mandate vaccination for various sectors, health and education among the most prominent. I very much hope so. I have a friend who I am very fond of who is a teacher and she is resistant to being vaccinated, even her husband is having no influence. But I am sure she will get in line if teachers are mandated to get the jab. She certainly won't quit and she cannot appeal to a medical, moral or religious exemption.

While numbers are going down in North America, I think Europe is beginning to see the start of its next wave.  Obviously a lot going on, and some countries are still seeing decent declines but the overall trend has shifted negatively.  Hopefully temporary.

That is in terms of cases though.  Fatalities hasn't shifted except in countries with very poor vaccination rates.  Bulgaria and Romania are now amongst the worst countries worldwide. :(  Romania is worse now than it has ever been.

Very interesting map above.  I wonder is there a European equivalent.  https://reopen.europa.eu/en

No Jab no Job officially announced today for teachers and pretty much all patient facing health sector workers. I really hope my friend (actually 2 friends now that I think about it) choose the jab over quitting their jobs.

If you are anti-vax enough to lose your job as a teacher then I personally wouldn't want you teaching my kids. Fortunately since my kids are all growed that's not a thing I need to concern myself with on a personal level.

Arguably not going far enough. Any govt employed person who is interacting with the public (e.g. police, social welfare) should be required to get the jab.

Archived