The Many Saints of Newark (Sopranos spoilers)

RumHam

The review embargo must have ended today. They're not great! I started to get a little worried at the stupid "babies sometimes know who will murder them!" bit at the end of the last trailer. Then more worried when I read who the narrator was. 

“The Many Saints of Newark” begins in a cemetery where we can hear the voices of the dead babbling out their eternal griefs. The camera finally comes to rest on the tombstone of Christopher Moltisanti (Michael Imperioli), a key character on “The Sopranos” who was finally whacked by his uncle Tony after causing too much trouble with his temper and his addiction to drugs. Christopher narrates this prequel from beyond the grave, telling us about his father Dickie (Alessandro Nivola), his grandfather “Hollywood Dick” Moltisanti (Ray Liotta) and Hollywood Dick’s young Italian bride Giuseppina (Michela De Rossi).

A couple reviews I've read say Liva seems like a different character than on the show, and the humor of the series is missing. 

Apparently they even brought Falco back to film some scenes that were cut. I'm curious what they would have been. 

I'm still looking forward to seeing it, but now I'm managing my expectations a bit. I never should have gotten so hyped, Quasimdo predicted all of this shit.

Yeah I generally go by RT scores which I find to be a relatively accurate measure. Good, not great would sound about right for my expectations given we've never met Dickie before and the story will be most powered by him it seems. The Sopranos was never about any single episode, even their best was built up with a lot of context.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting this now. I think I'm most looking forward to the post credits scene. Supposedly it takes place after the finale of the show:

I hear we get another four to seven seconds of a black screen.

No but seriously there is supposed to be a mid-credits scene, but nothing earth shattering.

Some gripes

-I was under the impression that Sil and Pussy were both a little older than Tony. Sils “I’ve known you since you were a kid Ton” from the show implies that. But it felt like they were a little too much older than Tony in this movie. 
-I didn’t like the choice of having Ray Liotta play a twin brother character (even if he wasn’t real and just Dickies imagination. I think he’s real but idk the baseball thing was definitely fake which made me question all of the uncle bit)
-And Christopher’s narration was not needed. Took away from the movie if anything.  

couple of things I thought were good

-Already mentioned how good Farmiga was. Bernthal was as well. Really made Johnny into the scumbag I pictured him being. Honestly wish the movie was more centered around the Soprano family as all those actors were basically perfect. Maybe they will make a show with them. 

-The ending twist worked for me. Maybe could have been a little more build up with Juniors jealousy/resentment of Dickie but it was super in character for Junior and really felt like something that would happen in the Sopranos universe. Harold takes over numbers in Newark without having to lift the finger. I’m sure he took all the credit for the murder too  :D.

Just finished it. I'm honestly underwhelmed. Most of the film - its ideas, characters, setting, plots - felt underdeveloped. Big Pus and Paulie were non-entities. Dickie I felt needed more time, honestly. Sil was like watching a bad impression. Michael Gandolfini was good, but the whole focus of the film felt scattershot. The Christopher voice over was pointless for the most part. Even the varsity athlete bit didn't feel right - why didn't we get to see Tony's reaction? 

There were some really good scenes in there (The Tony & Livia burger scene, for example) but the film as a whole was a bit... eh. 

I really liked it it for the most part. Silvio was bad but by his final scene it was kinda working for me. The guy who played Pauile did a good job not doing an impression. I hope they do another one. Edit: the odds of that just got better

David Chase Signs HBO Overall Deal, Opening Door to Potentially More ‘Sopranos’

The scene of Johnny shooting Liva's hair was weird. Like Bernthal underplayed the build up to it so it just seemed really random to me.

The voice over coupled with the theme song at the end kinda ruined the ending.

As for Sil and Pussy being so much older than Tony? Yeah, that threw me a bit. There’s a scene in S3 where Ralph tells Jackie Jr about being in a crew with Tony, Sil, and Jackie Sr when they were younger. They robbed Feech’s card game together (except Ralph who had the clap :lol:), and in the movie Sil certainly already seems old enough, and smart enough, to not be involved with something as crazy as that. 

I always thought Sil, Pussy, and Paulie were maybe 10 years older than Tony. Was Sil really part of the card game robbery? Cause that does seem weird. But like when he's trying to talk to Tony about Bludentto and New York he says "I've known you since you were a kid, ton." They all looked a little older than Tony and Jackie too. 

I'm not really sure what the scene with Harlod at the end is supposed to suggest. Like even with Dickie dead should the family still be after Harlod for killing Pussy's dad and others? Plus I'd imagine he'd get blamed for Dickie's death 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I always thought Sil, Pussy, and Paulie were maybe 10 years older than Tony. Was Sil really part of the card game robbery? Cause that does seem weird. But like when he's trying to talk to Tony about Bludentto and New York he says "I've known you since you were a kid, ton." They all looked a little older than Tony and Jackie too. 

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not really sure what the scene with Harlod at the end is supposed to suggest. Like even with Dickie dead should the family still be after Harlod for killing Pussy's dad and others? Plus I'd imagine he'd get blamed for Dickie's death 

I guess it might have only been Tony and Jackie. :dunno:

It is entirely possible and even in character for Ralph to have been lying to Jackie Jr about being a part of Tony’s crew as a kid and almost being included in the Feech card game robbery. I don’t think there is any other indication Tony was close with Ralph. I got the vibe he never liked him 

bur Silvio and Pussy are still too much older than Tony imo. Timeline got fucked up

Archived