Y - The Last Man

Werthead

4 hours ago, sifth said:

A bit off topic, but is Succession a bad show? I was thinking of starting it, after I finished Squid Game. 

It's excellent. First few episodes are like "eh, why do I want to watch all of these unlikeable people" and then a few episodes latter you're like "I cannot stop watching all of these unlikeable people" as they continually try to undercut each other.

Ah, this makes things clearer.

The show had a hard renewal deadline of 15 October, otherwise FX would have had to have paid out $3 million to extend the actor contracts for another few months, and they didn't want to do that without being able to commit to another season. Forced to roll the hard six, they decided to cancel the show.

Interestingly, apparently there is interest from HBO Max in picking up the show, but it would require FX to surrender all their rights to the series plus re-airing rights to the first season, which I don't believe FX has ever done before, but FX also doesn't seem interested in producing content for a completely different network (and parent company Disney is not keen) either. FX do seem to feel their decision, though economically justifiable, was harsh so they are being quite helpful in allowing the producers to shop the show to other sources, especially since the team are on FX exclusive contracts, which they'd also need to be released from if they wanted to keep working on it.

In the middle of that, they did clarify that the show had a five-season, 50-episode pre-planned story arc. That seems reasonable, indicating they'll be jettisoning about 50% of the storylines from the comics (which is fair enough, some of them are crazy).

Also, $8.5 million per episode? What the fuck are they spending that on? The show's budget looks at least half that.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I enjoyed the finale enough to want the story continued.  So, chances that HBO Max picks it up?

Apparently surprisingly reasonable, but they need to sign a deal ASAP because the actors are out of contract. With every day that passes, it's more and more likely they'll be snatched up elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

They were a victim of timing: the cut-off date for renewal being before Season 1 finished airing and typically, the second half of the first season was a huge improvement over the first.

The show is also very bleak about a worldwide crisis that kills vast numbers of people, which may have worked excellently five years ago or maybe twenty years from now, but mid-pandemic I think it just put people off. As I understand it, Station Eleven has worked precisely because they went in a different direction, tonally, whilst Y: The Last Man starts with fathers, brothers and sons dying pretty graphically and horrible on screen in front of people.

The casting of Yorick was also a huge problem. The character is as much of a prick in the comics but has some charisma and can win people over. Ben Schnetzer does his best but just doesn't have that spark, and so Yorick's monstrous selfishness and self-centredness (certainly a thing in the comics, especially early on) just comes across as inexplicable and frustrating. I mean, you start thinking that if the complete extinguishing of human life might just be worth it if this irritating idiot bites the dust.

Olivia Thirlby and Ashley Romans were on fucking fire though, and Amber Tamblyn and Diane Lane (naturally) were very good.

Archived