What exactly the Ibbenese Whalers are doing ?

Mugunthan Targaryen

Man! They are everywhere. In iron islands, kingslanding, gulltown etc.... Even during the voyage of Alys westhill they had been seen near targaryen islands. I mean I know they are hunting whales and sell the whale oil but ...it's just their native place is lot of leagues away and remotely located and the people also looks like neanderthals.  There is also no mention about where exactly they found lot of whales...By seeing the map I think they will find it in bay of whales. I hope GRRM will give some chance for them to involve in the future asoiaf story. They are the only ones who had been seen everywhere but didn't make any impact to the ongoing story. Man, whenever they cam across the story, I started to root for them. At one time, there was some news that kraken attacks the whaler ships..Please god let it be a REAL KRAKEN!. Please just share your fun thoughts about them. thanks.

Ib is likely a reference to Lovecraft who wrote of the city of Ib, destroyed by the people of Sarnath, which in turn are destroyed by a creature from the depths which had been worshipped by the people of Ib.

The story is called, "The Doom that Came to Sarnath".

You may notice that in ASoIaF, Ib is next to The Kingdom of Sarnor, which, with the exception of a single city, has been destroyed.

13 hours ago, Mourning Star said:

Ib is likely a reference to Lovecraft who wrote of the city of Ib, destroyed by the people of Sarnath, which in turn are destroyed by a creature from the depths which had been worshipped by the people of Ib.

Interesting reference. People have notice Lovecraft influences in certain parts of the story. Particularly around Euron. 

Unfortunately we don't have any clue how the Ibbanese might influence the story. We haven't met any in a meaningful way. We know little about their culture, politics or belief. We only know that along the Ironborn and the Summer Islanders, they are among the greatest seafarers in Planetos.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mugunthan Targaryen said:

Man! They are everywhere. In iron islands, kingslanding, gulltown etc.... Even during the voyage of Alys westhill they had been seen near targaryen islands. I mean I know they are hunting whales and sell the whale oil but ...it's just their native place is lot of leagues away and remotely located and the people also looks like neanderthals.  There is also no mention about where exactly they found lot of whales...By seeing the map I think they will find it in bay of whales. I hope GRRM will give some chance for them to involve in the future asoiaf story. They are the only ones who had been seen everywhere but didn't make any impact to the ongoing story. Man, whenever they cam across the story, I started to root for them. At one time, there was some news that kraken attacks the whaler ships..Please god let it be a REAL KRAKEN!. Please just share your fun thoughts about them. thanks.

It's not really that unusual. Whaling ships routinely sailed halfway around the world to go whaling. Whales migrate and difference kinds of whales are found difference places. I am not a professional whaler -- strictly amateur thank you -- but Melville sailed for years on a whaler. Moby Dick, for example, starts in the New England and most of it takes place in the pacific ocean. Queequeg was a polynesian guy who signed up for the boat in what is essentially Boston*, and this was set in the 1800s.

* I realize that's a stretch but you get the point

I love these short,hairy, thick of brow, Ib men. At first I was like whalers, jerks! Then I became curious as to why they all chew the whale fat. This sparked my imagination. These sailors hunt the largest creatures of the sea. Who knows what things they may run afoul of. I hope we get to see an Ib merchantman. 
Euron is supposedly known around the isles of Ib. I wonder if he’s learned something of pig poop and fat oil.

• 1 month later...

Archived