US Politics: Don't Manchin the war...

A Horse Named Stranger

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

So the deportations of Haitians without even allowing them to claim asylum, that's bad right?

And cruel.  And really stupid.  You want work ethic?  Look at Haitian immigrants.  So naturally the white supremacist covidiot deranged tRump worshippers thought this the best thing since mom's apple pie.  And Biden continues the policy, which, I guess ... started, sort of? with well, They say Obama, but I say the Clintons.  Though of course cruel and stupid and oppressive with Haiti began long before, say, O around, 1790's, and truly hardened with the Occupation 1915 - 1934.  It certainly has never gotten better, only continued worse.

18 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

All this just rests on the assumption that the pre-pandemic status quo will reassert itself, which let’s be absolutely clear - it will not.

If the cappies want to tamp down revolutionary fervor, they’re going to have to pull some Great Depression-type shit, but they’ve been drinking the kool-aid for so long that they only know how to run and complain about everything not going their way.

Not to mention this other great big elephant in the labor situation, the violence the front line workers are subjected to, and threatened with from rando crazies, antimaskervaxxdenyingtRumpworshippers, and just plain cruel abusive individuals.  Even death any time.  Never knowing if / when you'll be shot at.  I know historically soldiers are way underpaid, but supermarket staffers, though underpaid and abused never signed up to having rando jerkwaddies shoot them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/09/25/us-grocery-store-shootings/

It's quite sickening to see the Biden admin use a Trump-era law (pushed through by that gremlin Stephen Miller no less) to deport asylum seekers and the mainstream media seemingly barely report on it?

Biden's suffering perception by likely voters continuing.

(CNN) - It's been a very rough last two months for President Joe Biden, plagued by a disastrous end to the war in Afghanistan and the Delta variant of the coronavirus rampaging through the unvaccinated.

Those twin developments have badly eroded Americans' view of the President, according to new Gallup numbers released this week. Biden's job approval now sits at just 43% while a majority -- 53% -- disapprove of how he has handled his duties.

39 minutes ago, Darryk said:

It's quite sickening to see the Biden admin use a Trump-era law (pushed through by that gremlin Stephen Miller no less) to deport asylum seekers and the mainstream media seemingly barely report on it?

I wouldn't say barely, as Zorral said I've seen a good amount of coverage the past week or so.

27 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Biden's suffering perception by likely voters continuing.

(CNN) - It's been a very rough last two months for President Joe Biden, plagued by a disastrous end to the war in Afghanistan and the Delta variant of the coronavirus rampaging through the unvaccinated.

Those twin developments have badly eroded Americans' view of the President, according to new Gallup numbers released this week. Biden's job approval now sits at just 43% while a majority -- 53% -- disapprove of how he has handled his duties.

I'm not going to hesitate to criticize Biden but the Afghanistan shit... that was going to suck no matter what.  There was no good way to get out of there.  All the other shit though, yeah, has been mostly terrible on the pandemic, all the other stuff hes terrible on we knew he was going to be terrible on.  Count me in on the disapprove line, but will of course go out there and vote for him or whatever cretin the DNC churns out in 2024 like the pathethetic sucker that I am.  

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This is an excellent point as well - let’s face it; most of the labor shortages you’re hearing about are low-paid, customer-facing positions, and literally who the fuck wants to do that right now? Or even ever again?

No one seems to be seriously reckoning with the fact that “back to normal” is a fucking pipe dream. The genie is out of the bottle, and a whole fucking lot of middle class people are going to have to start dealing with the fact that people don’t want to be servants for a living. 

"F L I P Y O U R O W N D A M N B U R G E R S ! !"

fistraisedemoticon

11 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

If I'm recalling correctly, Trump's approval rate was equally terrible during this same point of his occupation.

43% is close to Trump's peak, and most of his presidency his approval was lower.

41 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Not sure thats meant to be a salve or a burn

Just the matter of factism of the point or food for thought. Not every conversation of mine is meant to turn into an arm wrestling contest.

Many of us our concerned about the President's dip in popularity but the context is important and realizing over the 4 years there will be peaks and valleys so we can hold onto the hope that things can turn around.

Things are not looking roses currently for the administration. It could head further south or hopefully rebound strong. The Haitians at the border controversy, which is post this poll, doesn't seem helpful.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:18 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Whether anything you said is in any way potentially true it ignores the fact that the pandemic has drawn stark attention to what a lot of people already knew. In many sectors of the job market, people are simply just not paid enough. Yes the pandemic forced massive layoffs, in my industry for example with food and beverage, but the measures taken to get people that extra money to go with unemployment showed people that they're worth more.

That is a really bizarre lesson to draw from the pandemic stimulus measures. They're not worth more; if anything, they're worth much less now since the pandemic still is not over and people have not fully returned to hotels and restaurants. The stimulus cash was intended to shore up the economy and it served that purpose, but there will be no more of it.

9 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

All this just rests on the assumption that the pre-pandemic status quo will reassert itself, which let’s be absolutely clear - it will not.

In what way has it not already reasserted itself? There are aspects of the recovery which are slow, but it's clearly going in that direction.

7 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

This is an excellent point as well - let’s face it; most of the labor shortages you’re hearing about are low-paid, customer-facing positions, and literally who the fuck wants to do that right now? Or even ever again?

No one seems to be seriously reckoning with the fact that “back to normal” is a fucking pipe dream. The genie is out of the bottle, and a whole fucking lot of middle class people are going to have to start dealing with the fact that people don’t want to be servants for a living.

What are all of these people going to live on once the stimulus money is gone? There isn't a sudden influx of better jobs and the money to pay them isn't there because it has never been there (i.e. the margins of most of the industries you are talking about are small).

6 minutes ago, Altherion said:

What are all of these people going to live on once the stimulus money is gone? There isn't a sudden influx of better jobs and the money to pay them isn't there because it has never been there (i.e. the margins of most of the industries you are talking about are small).

Maybe UBI? Maybe extreme growth in abject poverty and homelessness? Or somewhere in between - but the status quo is much closer to the latter than the former.

Archived