US Politics: Don't Manchin the war...

A Horse Named Stranger

soon it will be time for for extreme brinksmanship, bickering, and last minute deals...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/25/politics/house-budget-committee-biden-economic-agenda/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0NOBMJBP_XtZNoM2bbgGuB9UiZf15P-6ibG2XMnxqC30kh4mvzpPTscMc

CNN)The House Budget Committee voted Saturday to pass the $3.5 trillion spending bill out of committee and send it to the House floor.

The vote was 20 to 17 with Democratic Rep. Scott Peters of California joining Republicans to vote against the bill. It came as a necessary step for the bill to reach the full House floor, where it can be amended.
Democrats have been struggling to pass President Joe Biden's economic agenda, including the massive tax and spending bill that would expand education, health care and childcare support, address the climate crisis and make further investments in infrastructure.
The bill has raised concerns among moderates who worry some of the measures, including on drug pricing and climate, go too far, as progressives say they've already compromised enough. Republicans are united in their opposition to it. During its Saturday meeting, the House Budget committee could not change what other committees have already voted to approve.

12 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The fact that you think most of these low-income workers are still living off their stimulus checks shows just how little you really understand about poverty. Most of that money was spent in the first few months after. 

I do not mean only the one-time payments which indeed were too long ago to make a difference. I mean the whole array of stimulus measures (including the one at this wiki link and this on and this one). The latest of these extended the increased unemployment benefits to last through Labor Day of 2021 which was only 3 weeks ago.

2 hours ago, The Great Unwashed said:

The money isn’t getting to the people that it’s supposed to be helping.

The agony!  The sheer suffering! of letting go monies that could be going to the far more entitled instead of the people it is marked to assist.  Won't someone please think of those sad folks who have to gird their loins for the painful ordeal to organize and let it go!

Liz Cheney announced on 60 minutes that she's been wrong to oppose same sex marriage and now supports it; though she reiterated her conservative stances on other social issues like guns and abortion.

I can't imagine this'll help her win her primary next year. Unless she's hoping that the state's small number of Democrats will show up (it is an open primary) and help her beat out a divided MAGA field.

16 minutes ago, Fez said:

Liz Cheney announced on 60 minutes that she's been wrong to oppose same sex marriage and now supports it; though she reiterated her conservative stances on other social issues like guns and abortion.

I can't imagine this'll help her win her primary next year. Unless she's hoping that the state's small number of Democrats will show up (it is an open primary) and help her beat out a divided MAGA field.

At least her sister can now vote for her. 

It's important to remember Liz's most public opposition to SSM and subsequent spat with Mary was during her running to the right in a GOP primary to try to oust Mike Enzi.  It's not surprising that now that she is running as a never-Trumper she would change her tune.  I don't think it'll have much of an effect one way or another, but I suspect the constituents she's targeting either support SSM or don't care.

Texas' proposed redistricting map is out and it's...not as bad as most thought.  Mostly just protects incumbents.  This reflects the limits of the GOP's gerrymandering - especially when confronting population growth in Dem-controlled areas.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Texas' proposed redistricting map is out and it's...not as bad as most thought.  Mostly just protects incumbents.  This reflects the limits of the GOP's gerrymandering - especially when confronting population growth in Dem-controlled areas.

Texas was already gerrymandered in 2010, and thus there are limits to how much additional damage the Republicans can do in a state that is slowly moving towards the center.  A 25-13 split in a state that Trump won by less than 6 points is pretty damn good all things considered, particularly when most of those 25 Republicans are in completely safe seats. 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Texas was already gerrymandered in 2010, and thus there are limits to how much additional damage the Republicans can do in a state that is slowly moving towards the center.

Right, that's my point.  Going from 23-13 to 25-13 reflects the limitations.  Having 66% of the seats while winning 52% of the presidential vote isn't much different of an advantage than, say, California's Democratic advantage of 79% compared to 63%. 

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Just off a phone call with an Austin friend.  She will disagree here.  Austin, Houston and Dallas, are being cut into little tiny districts that all deeply cut into Dem voters.

The state's two new seats are being drawn in Austin and Houston.  The proposal does pit two Houston Democrats, Al Green and Sheila Jackson Lee, against each other.  Don't get me wrong the map is still bad - and particularly galling in reducing the number of majority-minority districts when minorities drove the population growth that gave them the two new seats - but it's not much worse than it already was.  And this is because the emphasis is on protecting incumbents rather than maximizing GOP seats.  This benefits both sides by the way - only one district (the 15th) under the proposal had a margin less than five in the 2020 presidential election.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

It does do an awful lot to protect incumbents though...

That's a bunch of plausible Dem targets off the board for at least the next several cycles. Still, I agree that's it not as bad as it could've been. The big redistricting question mark remains New York, and whether state Democrats use the power they actually have.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

It does do an awful lot to protect incumbents though..

Surprised Roy's seat went up that much.  Wasserman specifically mentioned earlier he surprised the proposal didn't shore up his seat as much as it could have.  Seems pretty shored up to me.

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Just off a phone call with an Austin friend.  She will disagree here.  Austin, Houston and Dallas, are being cut into little tiny districts that all deeply cut into Dem voters.

I am getting emails from a congressional candidate in Austin that say the new District 37 is almost sure to elect a Democrat, when Austin hasn't had any Democrats representing it before, so it's not as bad as it was before there. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I am getting emails from a congressional candidate in Austin that say the new District 37 is almost sure to elect a Democrat

Yeah that district is essentially restoring a district the GOP axed nearly twenty years ago.  See here:

The new 37th Congressional District will consolidate central and west Austin, somewhat resembling a district longtime Democratic U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett held until Republicans dismantled it in 2003. It was not immediately clear whether he would run in that district or continue to serve in the 35th Congressional District, which stretches down to Bexar County. Back then, Republicans aimed to dilute the liberal Austin vote, split up into several congressional districts, several of which had otherwise rural populations. But as this decade wore on, the Austin liberal vote was so potent that otherwise safe Republicans had to fight hard for reelection.

That link is a pretty great resource for thoroughly detailing the impact of the proposal.

Archived