US Politics: Don't Manchin the war...

A Horse Named Stranger

34 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

She's sure come a long ways over the last two decades. 

At least today isn't doomsday, but nothing I'm seeing suggests Democrats are going to figure this out in the next few days.

(trigger warning)

New court documents paint a 'dark picture' of MAGA rioters' violent fixation on Nancy Pelosi: reporter

NBC 4 Washington reporter Scott MacFarlane on Monday said that recent court documents surrounding Capitol rioter cases are painting an "increasingly dark picture" of many rioters' violent fixation on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. (...)

Another rioter who is scheduled to have a plea hearing, this week, was allegedly caught on video saying that they were "looking for Nancy to shoot her in the frigging brain."

He also pointed to MAGA rioter Pauline Bauer, who was caught on camera in the Capitol saying, "This is where we find Nancy Pelosi, bring that f*cking b*tch out here now."...

https://www.rawstory.com/capitol-rioters-nancy-pelosi/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

My sixth grader had to write a letter to his US Representative as part of a project. Little Jax doesn't have an ounce of political understanding, nor does he want to at his age.  That's fine. But his Rep is a Republican and someone I didn't vote for who's record, when we looked into it briefly, is typically appalling for a modern Republican. 

So writing this letter to question his Rep on a policy position? Where do you start and how do you keep one's own views out of it?

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

My sixth grader had to write a letter to his US Representative as part of a project. Little Jax doesn't have an ounce of political understanding, nor does he want to at his age.  That's fine. But his Rep is a Republican and someone I didn't vote for who's record, when we looked into it briefly, is typically appalling for a modern Republican. 

So writing this letter to question his Rep on a policy position? Where do you start and how do you keep one's own views out of it?

What is Little Jax interested in?  Entertainment? Ask a question about copyright law.  Nature?  Ask a question about national parks or pollution.  Order and justice? Ask a question about Jan. 6.  See? Easy.

38 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

What is Little Jax interested in?  Entertainment? Ask a question about copyright law.  Nature?  Ask a question about national parks or pollution.  Order and justice? Ask a question about Jan. 6.  See? Easy.

We went this route. But again, hopefully my opinions of the Rep didn't permeate the letter too much after discussing it with Little Jax...

15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

We went this route. But again, hopefully my opinions of the Rep didn't permeate the letter too much after discussing it with Little Jax...

That's very mature of you. Personally I think little Jax should have asked marry, fuck, kill three Bond actors. 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's just a bad assignment for young kids, to be honest. 6th graders shouldn't be forced to look It in the maw and ask, "Do you like bacon on your pizza?" When kids should start doing this--high school when they're becoming aware of the greater world, it'd be "too political" though. I'd tell the teacher to fuck off--but I'm a teacher, so maybe it's not shocking for me to hear that. 

Mar-A-Largo group of Trump golf pals illegally sought to monetize V.A. patient records.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_61527e0fe4b03dd7280eee5f

Three wealthy Donald Trump buddies who were members of his Mar-a-Lago golf resort were allowed by the then-president to order around officials of the Department of Veterans Affairs to serve their own interests, according to documents released Monday as part of a joint congressional investigation.

The men, “bolstered by their connection to Donald Trump, violated the law and sought to exert improper influence over government officials to further their own personal interests,” said Reps. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) and Mark Takano (D-Calif.), who led the investigation.

They accused the men of violating the open government Federal Advisory Committee Act, which requires transparency of advisory groups.

5 hours ago, Kaligator said:

Don't worry, now that Pelosi has stated that the BIF and reconciliation aren't linked maybe they'll throw the debt ceiling into the spending bill.  What could possibly go wrong?

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I believe the Republicans would love to purposedely create a market meltdown because they believe voters will blame Biden.

Voters should blame Biden of we breach, it's shocking how badly Democrats have screwed this up. Yes Republicans bear blame too, but everyone should've known how they'd act and prepared accordingly.

Joe Biden is ramping up the direct outreach as his agenda hangs in the balance. Joe Manchin and Kyrsten Sinema are headed back to the White House.
Both centrists have resisted key components of the Democrats' plans.

https://www.politico.com/minutes/congress/09-28-2021/debt-ceiling/

The specifics: Both senators, under pressure to ink some sort of "framework" for reconciliation that will give House progressives enough assurances to vote for the bipartisan infrastructure deal on Thursday, are headed to the White House for separate meetings.

Sinema is headed to the White House this morning, according to a source familiar.
Manchin meets with Biden at 1 p.m., according to a spokesperson.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

The latest:

This was all so obvious months ago, and could've been easily avoided if the debt ceiling had been put in the reconciliation instructions.

Hey now, we had a whole bunch of people telling us that there was no possible way that Republicans would do this. It should be shocking! SHOCKING that they would do this.

27 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Hey now, we had a whole bunch of people telling us that there was no possible way that Republicans would do this. It should be shocking! SHOCKING that they would do this.

I don't even know what the fuck the Democratic plan is at this point...

McConnell is giving them the way out here, and they're refusing to take it.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I don't even know what the fuck the Democratic plan is at this point...

McConnell is giving them the way out here, and they're refusing to take it.

Well, if it moves out of committee immediately it will then be shot down, and IIRC the same bill cannot be voted on more than a couple times before it is forever banned. So my understanding is that Schumer is right to object to this. 

Archived