How much of what's happened was part of Varys' plans?

James Steller

There's another thread which includes a furious debate on whether or not Varys wanted to free Tyrion or if he was really forced to do it by Jaime. I'm not going to weigh in on that, but it does make me wonder how many plot points in the books happened because of Varys' planning.

He's become an almost mythical figure by this point; the ultimate master of whisperers who has been weaving conspiracies since before he was summoned to Westeros by King Aerys II. But it's fanciful to believe in conspiracies which set everything in motion piece by piece. I tend to be sceptical of conspiracy theories like that because of how much randomness and human error there is in the world. That said, I'm not mistaken about GRRM's books being realistic; however, I do wonder how much of what's happened so far has been in accordance with Varys' wishes.

We know that Littlefinger is another ambitious plotter, and we can assume he's a rival to Varys; each one claims to have a superior intellect or be more dangerous than the other, and it often seems like their plans clash. Of course, people on this site have also tried to claim Varys and Littlefinger are working together somehow, and I'm sure that'll come up here too, at some point.

Still, there's other elements which seem beyond Varys' control (and I have to use the word 'seem' for obvious reasons). Stannis seems free of Varys' direct influence for the most part, as do many of the Northern and Ironborn characters. But even then, those characters' lives are affected by the actions Varys causes in the south, so it's debatable to say even that. And meanwhile there's apparently half a dozen other conspiracies happening either at the Citadel, among the paramount houses, etc. 

Varys is undoubtedly extremely intelligent and manipulative. But I think Littlefinger is the better master plotter. Varys's and Illyrio's plans always seem to go sideways because they assume their pawns will continue behaving the way Varys and Illyrio expect them too. They didn't anticipate that Dany would stay in Meereen. They didn't expect fAegon to go sailing to Westeros. They didn't think the War of the Five Kings would occur so suddenly, and Varys could not "delay" like Illyrio asked him to.

Littlefinger takes it as a given that his pawns are unpredictable with minds of their own, and plans accordingly. He is also very good at changing hus plans and seizing new opportunities as they open up. His actions behind the scenes set the Starks and Lannisters against each other. Varys had little to do with it.

I think the better question is, "how much of what's happened is a result of Varys's screwups?"

15 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

Varys is undoubtedly extremely intelligent and manipulative. But I think Littlefinger is the better master plotter. Varys's and Illyrio's plans always seem to go sideways because they assume their pawns will continue behaving the way Varys and Illyrio expect them too. They didn't anticipate that Dany would stay in Meereen. They didn't expect fAegon to go sailing to Westeros. They didn't think the War of the Five Kings would occur so suddenly, and Varys could not "delay" like Illyrio asked him to.

Littlefinger takes it as a given that his pawns are unpredictable with minds of their own, and plans accordingly. He is also very good at changing hus plans and seizing new opportunities as they open up. His actions behind the scenes set the Starks and Lannisters against each other. Varys had little to do with it.

I think the better question is, "how much of what's happened is a result of Varys's screwups?"

Good points, and I was tempted to ask "How much of what's happened is a result of somebody's plans" but I thought that would be too unfocused. I figured I'd go with Varys because of my inspiration. But I could have easily said "Littlefinger" instead.

2 hours ago, James Steller said:

a furious debate

Friendly discussion.

2 hours ago, James Steller said:

He's become an almost mythical figure by this point; the ultimate master of whisperers who has been weaving conspiracies since before he was summoned to Westeros by King Aerys II. But it's fanciful to believe in conspiracies which set everything in motion piece by piece. I tend to be sceptical of conspiracy theories like that because of how much randomness and human error there is in the world. That said, I'm not mistaken about GRRM's books being realistic; however, I do wonder how much of what's happened so far has been in accordance with Varys' wishes.

For the most part, in current asoisf, not much. There's the Tyrion scene in questioned sure but the wizard juggler Illyrio painted him as is more of a reflection on his days in the Aerys administration. So going to Harrenhall, arresting and murdering the Starks and probably some Duskendale stuff too is what we can lay at Varys' feet. 

46 minutes ago, James Steller said:

But I could have easily said "Littlefinger" instead.

Littlefingers plots are easier to detect, Lysas letter, Catspaws knife, the PW (however you feel about it)

10 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

. So going to Harrenhall, arresting and murdering the Starks and probably some Duskendale stuff too is what we can lay at Varys' feet. 

Varys serves the realm. Why would he encourage Aerys to throw the realm into utter chaos? Is it all to push Rhaegar into dethroning Aerys, or did Varys want to bring House Targaryen down? Because if it's the latter, the only way it makes sense is if Varys is a Blackfyre and fAegon is a secret Blackfyre heir who presumably would barely have been born at the time of Robert's Rebellion. That's a long game for him to play.

honestly we don't know much of Varys's plans or motives. he definitely isn't a good guy serving the realm. after all he is the one using mute slave children and he is sending the realm into chaos with his Viserys+dothraki plan and killing Kevan plan  .

I guess it's possible that he's a Blackfyre but that means he has been planning something  almost impossible half his life and it would seem like all his plans are failing( as it was mentioned with the delay Illyrio wanted and war of 5kings and Aegon and Dany) .

we can't be sure of anything about Varys.. at least until Winds comes out . I personally would like him to be an opportunist who has come from nothing ( somehow like LF) ... that is definitely what it seems in Illyrio's story...right? maybe Varys uses anything that falls on his laps... for example he realizes what Jamie wants of him and he decides Tyrion can be useful. he worked for Aerys and he thought he'd be in power until Aerys has enemies in his mind. he surely hadn't have Dany in his plans until she had dragons. maybe he had found Aegon (Blackfyre or even the real deal somehow saved by a Targaryon loyalist) and he decided he could use that in case his position in Robert's court or his heir's wasn't safe( as we see it surely isn't) maybe he thought if he made a king himself ,he could be sure to remain powerful .

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Varys serves the realm. Why would he encourage Aerys to throw the realm into utter chaos? Is it all to push Rhaegar into dethroning Aerys, or did Varys want to bring House Targaryen down? Because if it's the latter, the only way it makes sense is if Varys is a Blackfyre and fAegon is a secret Blackfyre heir who presumably would barely have been born at the time of Robert's Rebellion. That's a long game for him to play.

I don't think he serves the realm. He just thinks he is serving the realm. In reality he will bring the seven kingdoms more misery and destruction 

18 hours ago, James Steller said:

There's another thread which includes a furious debate on whether or not Varys wanted to free Tyrion or if he was really forced to do it by Jaime. I'm not going to weigh in on that, but it does make me wonder how many plot points in the books happened because of Varys' planning.

The issue there is not so much that Varys planned the entire thing. The issue is that it is not very likely that Varys was actually surprised, intimidated by, and forced to free Tyrion by Jaime ... when Jaime didn't really have any leverage over Varys.

Varys doesn't really have much of a plan, especially not during the most of the books the series covered so far. His plan is the Aegon plan, and that plan only started to have bearing on the story in ADwD. Killing Pycelle and Kevan is the first time Varys actually started to influence the political game directly.

Prior to that, we have indirect manipulation aimed at cooling things down, postponing the civil war, undermining the allegiances and loyalties of certain characters (Barristan, Tyrion, even Ned, to a point). Together with Illyrio he ensured that Drogo would agree to invade Westeros on behalf of the Targaryens with the attempt on Dany's life. But that's it.

Varys doesn't really care all that much to influence the players he actually wants to remove from the board (entirely) when he puts Aegon on the throne.

In that sense, it isn't that surprising that Littlefinger had more success in the first half of the series. He just wants to rise through the ranks and make himself ever more powerful and influential. He doesn't have a goal beyond his own petty ambitions. Doing what he does is much easier than what Varys tries to do.

6 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Varys serves the realm

Then the realm is a cruel master

Why would he encourage Aerys to throw the realm into utter chaos?

Idk but he did. The Harrenhall fiasco, and everything it brought, Barri blames Varys for.

The memory was still bitter. Old Lord Whent had announced the tourney shortly after a visit from his brother, Ser Oswell Whent of the Kingsguard. With Varys whispering in his ear, King Aerys became convinced that his son was conspiring to depose him, that Whent's tourney was but a ploy to give Rhaegar a pretext for meeting with as many great lords as could be brought together. Aerys had not set foot outside the Red Keep since Duskendale, yet suddenly he announced that he would accompany Prince Rhaegar to Harrenhal, and everything had gone awry from there.

And in a more general sense, Jaime blames 99% of everything on Varys. 

"Ned Stark was racing south with Robert's van, but my father's forces reached the city first. Pycelle convinced the king that his Warden of the West had come to defend him, so he opened the gates. The one time he should have heeded Varys, and he ignored him.

I don't think he's a Blackryre, as that's kinda silly. (Like, why can't he be king then? Why were the GC absent during RR if they had a stake? Why can't Young Baby Griff be king with Varys as regent?)

It is a long game but even though he had a heart to heart with Keaven, 5 books of mistrusting Varys has convinced me to not take his word in the epilogue.

The existence of this thread reminds me of one thought (question) that crosses my mind at times.  It took years for this question to come to me, but it is simply this: 

How much of an accident is it that Dany, a Targaryen, was given dragon eggs that had turned to stone by Illyrio, someone we know to be a partner in crime and time.....with Varys?

It took me years to come to that question, quite honestly.  When I find myself thinking too much about these books that I've probably read at least one too many times, I find myself asking:  With all the knowledge about failed attempts at hatching dragon eggs that we've learned about in the succeeding books to AGOT........why on Earth (or Planetos?) shouldn't I wonder IF Varys or Illyrio (depending who is more in the know, be it one or both of them, together or separately) sent those eggs along with Dany (and Viserys, I suppose, LOL, though I can't imagine anyone thinking him a Prince or Princess that was Promised or an Azor Ahai) because he/they expected the miracle would, or could, occur?  

I do wonder why the idea of Varys or Illyrio (or someone behind them, through them) knowingly trying to hatch dragons through the last Targaryens isn't more of a widespread question.  

On 9/25/2021 at 4:25 PM, Hugorfonics said:

So going to Harrenhall, arresting and murdering the Starks and probably some Duskendale stuff too is what we can lay at Varys' feet.

Not Duskendale. That happened in 277, Steffon Baratheon died in 278, and Varys didn't arrive until after that. Aerys was already going crazy before Varys arrived.

18 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Varys serves the realm.

Varys thinks of himself as serving the realm, though he goes about it in a very questionable and not at all honorable of a way.

Why would he encourage Aerys to throw the realm into utter chaos? Is it all to push Rhaegar into dethroning Aerys, or did Varys want to bring House Targaryen down?

He told Aerys not to let Tywin in, under the accurate belief that Tywin was hostile to Aerys. If he was trying to undermine Aerys he would have agreed with Pycelle. I don't think Varys decided to play kingmaker until after that.

17 hours ago, EggBlue said:

honestly we don't know much of Varys's plans or motives. he definitely isn't a good guy serving the realm. after all he is the one using mute slave children and he is sending the realm into chaos with his Viserys+dothraki plan and killing Kevan plan  .

Supposedly GRRM himself has said Varys is a good guy, and he included Varys with Melisandre as the two most misunderstood characters. From what we see of her POV Melisandre is a sincere (though dishonest & mistaken) extremist trying to do what she views as the right thing and letting that end justify her means.

16 hours ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

I don't think he serves the realm. He just thinks he is serving the realm. In reality he will bring the seven kingdoms more misery and destruction 

Basically. Late in the series the Lannister regime seems rotten enough that an invasion could seem preferable, but planning a Dothraki invasion when the realm was at peace is, like the tongueless children, an example of him thinking a political ideal is worth massive amounts of suffering to achieve it.

2 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

planning a Dothraki invasion when the realm was at peace is, like the tongueless children, an example of him thinking a political ideal is worth massive amounts of suffering to achieve it.

To be fair, that also describes every single person in the series who summons thousands of men into an army and leads it to war.

His plans do not seems to work at all... , they have to keep changing their plans all the time. So as a plotter he is great at pulling off major assassinations, getting information and so on... but on the great scale Littlefinger seems to work circles around him. 

This passage on Dance is very telling, of how much of a lost cause their agenda is, and how bad they prediction is going.

“The plan was to reveal Prince Aegon only when we reached Queen Daenerys,” Lemore was saying.

“That was when we believed the girl was coming west. Our dragon queen has burned that plan to ash, and thanks to that fat fool in Pentos, we have grasped the she-dragon by the tail and burned our fingers to the bone.”

“Illyrio could not have been expected to know that the girl would choose to remain at Slaver’s Bay.”

“No more than he knew that the Beggar King would die young, or that Khal Drogo would follow him into the grave. Very little of what the fat man has anticipated has come to pass.” Griff slapped the hilt of his longsword with a gloved hand. “I have danced to the fat man’s pipes for years, Lemore. What has it availed us?

14 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

To me it seems that Varys let Baelish create chaos. He obviously knew littlefingers motivation. That was war and chaos, and Varys was more than happy to sit back and let him do as he wills.

It does seem odd on the surface that Varys, who was well entrenched in his position in the court once Littlefinger came into the scene, would allow the rise of an opposing player. Though the thing about Varys is, we just don't know what his motivations really are. Sure we know what he says, but we never get inside his head. For all we know Varys may have thought Littlefinger a useful tool to shake up the status quo and discredit the Baratheon rule in favor of a Targaryen restoration.

On 9/26/2021 at 3:49 AM, EggBlue said:

after all he is the one using mute slave children

Not just using mute slave children

He's purchasing slave children and he probably is having them mutilated to keep them mute (i.e. removing their tongues. Sure, he's teaching them how to read and write but....damn. It's awful. And what happens to the children once they become young men and women?

A chilling question

This is going to be another reason why Daenerys is going to be Team Aegon's worst nightmare.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:44 AM, Lord Varys said:

The issue there is not so much that Varys planned the entire thing. The issue is that it is not very likely that Varys was actually surprised, intimidated by, and forced to free Tyrion by Jaime ... when Jaime didn't really have any leverage over Varys.

But if Jaime had no leverage over Varys, then why would Varys acquiesce to Jaime and help free Tyrion.

Well, never mind...I suppose that if Jaime openly threatened to kill or cripple Varys, that would probably help Varys take action.

If Varys not wanting to free Tyrion but doing so anything once compelled is the case, then it just goes to show that Varys is probably the best player in the game of thrones simply on account that he is able to adapt and change course when presented with any new variable or circumstance.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:24 PM, Lady Fevre Dream said:

How much of an accident is it that Dany, a Targaryen, was given dragon eggs that had turned to stone by Illyrio, someone we know to be a partner in crime and time.....with Varys?

You and me both.

Once I got my head wrapped around fAegon plotline, this thought/question bothered me to no end. It still does. Part of the reason why I'm mad at the show is that it never answers this question.

There are so many layers to this question it's insane.

On one hand, you'd be inclined to say that because Illyrio and Varys were always planning to marry Dany to Aegon. But then you're immediately presented with the question of why would they marry Dany off into a massive clan of horseriding barbarians in such a faraway place? Without even teaching her the language? And then why orchestrate an assassination? That was a MASSIVE unnecessary and frighteningly dangerous risk at best. At worst, it was meant to be a short, miserable life of exile and infamy.

If I were Dany, I'd be fucking pissed.

Then again, maybe Illyrio and Varys (or just Illyrio acted alone) gave up on dragons and thought that the eggs were just near worthless trinkets.

I tend to think that Varys is pro-Blackfyre but anti-Targaryen (or maybe just pro-Targaryen and anti-magic) due to the Targaryen family's close ties to magic

Varys doesn't really have much of a plan, especially not during the most of the books the series covered so far. His plan is the Aegon plan, and that plan only started to have bearing on the story in ADwD. Killing Pycelle and Kevan is the first time Varys actually started to influence the political game directly.

I disagree.

I feel like Varys sabotaged and undermined the plans and investigations of Jon Arryn, Stannis and Ned.

The Twincest scandal is the perfect excuse for overthrowing the Lannister-Baratheon dynasty. It delegitimizes itself and makes it so easy for Aegon to swoop in and offer a better solution. Why legitimize the Baratheon dynasty further by having Stannis, one of Robert's bastards or a trueborn son/daughter of Robert inherit when you're going to have it destroyed anyway?

I think Varys encouraged Cersei and Jaime's affair (silencing all those who could've caught on and discovered them) and I think he played some kind of role in Cersei's abortions of Robert's children.

A counterfeit dollar bill burns much quicker than a real one.

Varys doesn't really care all that much to influence the players he actually wants to remove from the board (entirely) when he puts Aegon on the throne.

That's because leaving the Starks alone, ignoring the Greyjoys, letting Lysa Arryn run around like a headless chicken, allowing Arianne to believe she is getting disinherited and working alongside Tyrion Lannister is immaterial to Aegon's reconquest and ascension.

Aegon's reconquest and ascension only requires an attack on and the removal of:

• the Baratheons (which he can replace with one of Robert's legitimized bastards if he so chooses)
  • the main branch of Lannisters (i.e. Tywin, his children and grandchildren)
  • Gregor Clegane
  • Jon Arryn (who probably was going to die naturally before long)
  • Littlefinger

At the beginning of the series, Varys' goals and the fAegon endgame are super specific. And it's a long game at that: all of those things have to wait. So, of course, he doesn't care. Everyone can do as they please up until the Targaryen reconquest as long as it does not substantially threaten or  impede the Targaryen reconquest.

In that sense, it isn't that surprising that Littlefinger had more success in the first half of the series. He just wants to rise through the ranks and make himself ever more powerful and influential. He doesn't have a goal beyond his own petty ambitions. Doing what he does is much easier than what Varys tries to do.

Littlefinger wants to rise through the ranks? I just thought he wants to use Sansa to destroy and then make a joke out of the nobility.

38 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

But if Jaime had no leverage over Varys, then why would Varys acquiesce to Jaime and help free Tyrion.

Because Varys had no issue with the idea to deliver Tyrion to Illyrio and had no problem if Jaime believed he forced him to do it. If Varys hadn't wanted to free Tyrion he would not have freed him, never mind what Jaime threatened to do.

You and me both.

Once I got my head wrapped around fAegon plotline, this thought/question bothered me to no end. It still does. Part of the reason why I'm mad at the show is that it never answers this question.

There are so many layers to this question it's insane.

On one hand, you'd be inclined to say that because Illyrio and Varys were always planning to marry Dany to Aegon. But then you're immediately presented with the question of why would they marry Dany off into a massive clan of horseriding barbarians in such a faraway place? Without even teaching her the language? And then why orchestrate an assassination? That was a MASSIVE unnecessary and frighteningly dangerous risk at best. At worst, it was meant to be a short, miserable life of exile and infamy.

There was no real assassination attempt. The best way to make sense of the wine seller thing is to go with the idea that this guy only believed he had poisoned wine. Remember, the guy gives Dany an unopened cask of wine, meaning he didn't poison the wine. The guy who gave it to him told him it was poisoned (or poisoned it). And those people would have been agents of Varys and Illyrio, because there is no chance at all that this early after Robert's decision to murder Daenerys independent poisoners/assassins would go to Vaes Dothrak and try to murder a khaleesi, her brother, and her husband. That would be a very risky game for an independent contractor.

Thus the conclusion is Varys and Illyrio simply created a scenario where Drogo believed Robert wanted to murder his wife without Dany actually being in danger.

Dany apparently was never supposed to marry Aegon. If they had had that plan, then she would have never been married to Drogo. She was just a pawn to bind the Dothraki to Viserys' cause which was necessary for an invasion which served as the prelude of Aegon's rise to the throne.

One imagines the plan was that Viserys would acknowledge Aegon as his nephew and presumptive heir.

The dragon eggs thing is odd. There must be a reason why they gave those to Daenerys ... and it would make even less sense if they gave all their eggs to Dany and kept none for Aegon because dragon eggs clearly are artifacts that can lend a Targaryen pretender credibility - something Aegon would need in any case.

I disagree.

I feel like Varys sabotaged and undermined the plans and investigations of Jon Arryn, Stannis and Ned.

The Twincest scandal is the perfect excuse for overthrowing the Lannister-Baratheon dynasty. It delegitimizes itself and makes it so easy for Aegon to swoop in and offer a better solution. Why legitimize the Baratheon dynasty further by having Stannis, one of Robert's bastards or a trueborn son/daughter of Robert inherit when you're going to have it destroyed anyway?

I think Varys encouraged Cersei and Jaime's affair (silencing all those who could've caught on and discovered them) and I think he played some kind of role in Cersei's abortions of Robert's children.

A counterfeit dollar bill burns much quicker than a real one.

Varys definitely would have known about their affair, but I don't think he was needed to encourage it. At least not during Robert's reign. He may have helped Cersei to meet with Jaime back when she convinced him to join the KG, though.

But it wasn't Varys' plan that there was a twincest and false Baratheon heirs. That was just convenient for him and he definitely wanted it to come out at a time when he could use the revelation to further Aegon's cause. But that's just a minor detail and it is something he can still use for his plan now that it is more or less out in the open. After all, he may still have Tyrek Lannister and could his testimony to further confirm the twincest.

That's because leaving the Starks alone, ignoring the Greyjoys, letting Lysa Arryn run around like a headless chicken, allowing Arianne to believe she is getting disinherited and working alongside Tyrion Lannister is immaterial to Aegon's reconquest and ascension.

Exactly. For Varys most of the game of thrones that's played in the series so far is inconsequential. He cares about it insofar as it can help further his own agenda, but his plans aren't ready yet, so he doesn't really care much about the details.

Littlefinger wants to rise through the ranks? I just thought he wants to use Sansa to destroy and then make a joke out of the nobility.

No, Littlefinger just wants to be at the top of things and show the world that he is a great guy. He may also want to avenge himself on certain Tullys, etc. but I don't think he is motivated much by petty revenge.

He is not as stupid as to think he can make a joke out of the nobility. He would ridicule any person who might think they can rule Westeros without or against the nobility as a class. He himself is a born noble, although of a very humble background.

3 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

We don't hear of him participating in the first two at all, which were admittedly off page. With Ned, he indicates that Cersei is trying to kill Robert, which is actually true. It later turns out she didn't have Jon Arryn poisoned, but there's no indication Varys knew who was really behind that.

I think Varys encouraged Cersei and Jaime's affair

We don't need his involvement in something that began in Casterly Rock and was known to people like LF who aren't under Varys' thumb.

I think he played some kind of role in Cersei's abortions of Robert's children.

Jaime & Cersei were able to handle that themselves, without any mention of Varys.

Gregor Clegane

What's so important about a mere knight compared to the Iron Throne?

Littlefinger wants to rise through the ranks?

That's what he's been doing for quite some time, and is now a rich lord.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

There was no real assassination attempt. The best way to make sense of the wine seller thing is to go with the idea that this guy only believed he had poisoned wine.

Agreed. Although there might have been some non-fatal substance (or highly diluted poison) in it which might make people feel like they'd been poisoned if they actually drank any.

The dragon eggs thing is odd. There must be a reason why they gave those to Daenerys ... and it would make even less sense if they gave all their eggs to Dany and kept none for Aegon because dragon eggs clearly are artifacts that can lend a Targaryen pretender credibility - something Aegon would need in any case.

This is where Watsonian explanations run short and a Doyleist one is more fitting. The Aegon plot hadn't been conceived yet, as Dany herself was supposed to invade with her dragons much earlier.

Archived