Jamie’s Sword Hand

The World of Ice and Fire - The Free Cities: Qohor

“Maester Pol's treatise on Qohorik metalworking, written during several years of residence in the Free City, reveals just how jealously the secrets are guarded: He was thrice publicly whipped and cast out from the city for making too many inquiries. The final time, his hand was also removed following the allegation that he stole a Valyrian steel blade. According to Pol, the true reason for his final exile was his discovery of blood sacrifices—including the killing of slaves as young as infants—which the Qohorik smiths used in their efforts to produce a steel to equal that of the Freehold.”

Could a severed hand be a necessary component to forging a Valyrian steal sword? A sacrifice of blood and bone, and maybe a greater sacrifice of one’s own ability? Some Valyrian swords have a decorative bone hand-le.

Could Jamie’s severed sword hand have been made into a sword, Oathkeeper? And or Widows Wail? If Jamie’s hand was used in the repurposing process (or creation process) of either sword, what may be the implication of such an ingredient? Would this connect the two swords in some strange way? Would Jamie have an influence on the wielder of each sword or vice versa? Would the names of the swords and their owners, alive and dead, have some sort of effect?
Can you think of some possible examples?

Only one I have at the moment is Brienne paying her debt to Dick Crab. I’m still working on that significance.

Your theory is interesting in the idea that blood magic is needed for forging Valyrian steel swords. However, it is quite impossible for Jaime's hand to have been used in forging Oathbreaker and Widow's Wail. The swords were forged before Jaime returned to Kings Landing, so his hand was never available to them.

9 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

The swords were forged before Jaime returned to Kings Landing, so his hand was never available to them.

I thought his hand was cut the night of the Black Water Burning and his hand disappears at Harrenhall.  I’m probably wrong but Would this allow for it to be used if this is the case?

Cok Tyrion4

No need to ask which son. Tyrion placed Jaime's sword back on the table beside Joffrey's, wondering if Robb Stark would let his brother live long enough to wield it. Our father must surely think so, else why have this blade forged?

"You have done good work, Master Mott," Lord Tywin told the armorer. "My steward will see to your payment. And remember, rubies for the scabbards."

"I shall, my lord. You are most generous." The man folded the swords up in the oilcloth, tucked the bundle under one arm, and went to his knee. "It is an honor to serve the King's Hand. I shall deliver the swords the day before the wedding."

6 hours ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

yeah Jamie lost that hand because he broke guest right with it. crippled for crippling as one would have it.

Jamie SoS 3
If he was turned once, he can be turned again. "Lord Vargo, you were foolish to leave my father's service, but it is not too late to make amends. He will pay well for me, you know it."

"Oh yeth," said Vargo Hoat. "Half the gold in Cathterly Rock, I thall have. But firth I mutht thend him a methage." He said something in his slithery goatish tongue.

Urswyck shoved him in the back, and a jester in green and pink motley kicked his legs out from under him. When he hit the ground one of the archers grabbed the chain between Jaime's wrists and used it to yank his arms out in front of him. The fat Dothraki put aside his knife to unsheathe a huge curved arakh, the wickedly sharp scythe-sword the horselords loved. 

Could be Vargo never left Tywin service. Tywin may have wanted Vargo to find Jamie. Vargo may have been instructed to cut off Jamie’s hand. This would allow Jamie leave from the kings guard honorably as a cripple. Thus Jamie would gain the rite to inherit and free to marry. This of course is all speculation. A thought experiment of motives.

I haven’t thought about guest right violation. When did Jamie break guest right?

14 minutes ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I haven’t thought about guest right violation. When did Jamie break guest right?

he broke it when he used that hand to drop bran from winterfell and cripple him. but that's more just cosmically why he lost his hand, not the in depth reason.

—Jamie 3 SoS

"Lord Vargo, you were foolish to leave my father's service, but it is not too late to make amends. He will pay well for me, you know it."

Foolish makes me think that Vargo was fooling the North about leaving Tywins service. Again, it’s just a thought. Most likely inaccurate to the authors intent. I enjoy every side of “theories” which makes me sound a contrarian.

I’m a tin pot dictator with a  tinfoil hat when it comes to ulterior mad motives. Mwhahaha! :) 
I want one on Hot Pie as the Nights King so bad…..

3 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

I thought his hand was cut the night of the Black Water Burning and his hand disappears at Harrenhall.  I’m probably wrong but Would this allow for it to be used if this is the case?

Jaime was probably released from Riverrun by Catelyn during, or shortly after, the Battle of the Blackwater. By the time he and Brienne arrived at Harrenhall, news of the Lannister victory had already reached Roose. So it is very unlikely Jaime's hand could have been sent to Tywin. In fact, I think it is impossible unless they used a time traveling Bran.

3 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

Cok Tyrion4

No need to ask which son. Tyrion placed Jaime's sword back on the table beside Joffrey's, wondering if Robb Stark would let his brother live long enough to wield it. Our father must surely think so, else why have this blade forged?

"You have done good work, Master Mott," Lord Tywin told the armorer. "My steward will see to your payment. And remember, rubies for the scabbards."

"I shall, my lord. You are most generous." The man folded the swords up in the oilcloth, tucked the bundle under one arm, and went to his knee. "It is an honor to serve the King's Hand. I shall deliver the swords the day before the wedding."

My read on this is that Tywin is aware of Jaime's release from Riverrun, and just isn't telling Tyrion. He doesn't have Jaime's hand.

3 hours ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

he broke it when he used that hand to drop bran from winterfell and cripple him. but that's more just cosmically why he lost his hand, not the in depth reason.

Ah gotcha. I like cosmic causes. Makes me think he stole something.

2 hours ago, Yaya said:

my opinion that Qyburn recovered the hand & now, that hand, is a part of Robert Strong

I love this thought. More the idea of the gentle Qyburn collecting bits and pieces everywhere. Like he’s just frugal and doesn’t want things to go to waste. I know it’s improbable of him using Tyrion’s nose, Marcella’s ear, Cersai’s Hair, and Robb’s head but the sight of Ser Strong taking off his helm and shaking out his gorgeous hair with a tiny hand…priceless. :) 

The bummer is Ser Strong could be anyone who would benefit from the rumor of Gregor alive. Would be cool if Qyburn removed a vile curse or removed a tumor from his pituitary gland. Thus giving Gregor his own agency.

Now Gregors a nice guy who wants to redeem his past…….and also enjoys high tea, knitting and OMG! pink myrish lace, he likes to feel pretty. :) 

Archived