What are your favorite theories of all time?

Daendrew

What are your favorites? The small subtle ones are my favorites. Not R + L = J. The subtle ones are where GRRM really shines.

Mine is that when people mention Arbor Gold, that means someone is lying.

And Dorian The Historian's, ASOIAF and Norse mythology blog on how GRRM used Norse mythology as writing prompts for the story.

Tyrek Lannister is the dead body in the House of Black and White that the Blind Girl encounters.

I believe Arya will take his face and infiltrate the Red Keep as Tyrek. There is some juicy Daendrew(TM) style theorycrafting for you.

Timett son of Timett is the lost heir to the Vale

The Winterfell Huis Clos: Bran Vras's insanely detailed look at the Northern storylines from ADWD

Its fringe and unlikely, but im a fan of the theory that Jamie and Cersei are the Targaryen Bastards, not Tyrion. they just fit the caste so well and it would be the most beautiful irony on like four or five levels.

I mean they are beautiful, they practice incest, we know Aerys was into Joanna and took "liberties" during the bedding ceremony, such bastardy would be perfectly juxtaposed to Cersei's own bastards... I could go on

2 hours ago, Daendrew said:

Timett son of Timett is the lost heir to the Vale

this would be pretty cool. I hope Timett come back in winds. The burned men are too aesthetically relevant to not be used again. the dude is a red hand for goodness sake. good chance he descends from nettles too or at least know where sheepstealer's old den was.

I am partial to the theory that Lem Lemoncloak is really Richard Lonmouth, one of Rhaegar's squires.  Could be a useful source of information, if true.

While I suspect that Ashara Dayne is masquerading as Septa Lemore, if she isn't, I like the theory that she is Jyanna Rreed, Howland's wife and Meera and Jojen's mother.  Meera seemed to know an awful lot about her.

I like the Arbor Gold theory as well.

On theories mentioned already;  While Timmitt could plausibly be the natural son of the Arryn girl who was kidnapped, that would make him heir to ... nothing.  He is not legitimate, acknowledged, recognized, or much of anything.  No dice on that one.

I suspect that Tyrek is still alive, and Braavos is a logical spot to be.  I don't think Arya would recognize his face in any case, nor does she know how to put one on.  Nor do I think she is going to learn.

20 hours ago, Targaryeninkingslanding said:

Its fringe and unlikely, but im a fan of the theory that Jamie and Cersei are the Targaryen Bastards, not Tyrion. they just fit the caste so well and it would be the most beautiful irony on like four or five levels.

I mean they are beautiful, they practice incest, we know Aerys was into Joanna and took "liberties" during the bedding ceremony, such bastardy would be perfectly juxtaposed to Cersei's own bastards... I could go on

I've always believed this one. And besides all the good points you made, there's the fact that we were literally told that Tyrion is Tywin's son, not Jaime. It's like GRRM heard about everyone saying Tyrion is Aerys' son and wanted to directly refute it via Genna Lannister.

The Captain's Daughter on the Myraham was the Faceless Man who killed Balon Greyjoy.

Syrio is Jaqen is the Alchemist is Pate.

Salador Saan works for Illyrio, As evidenced by Saan complaining about the inventory of the Bountiful Harvest (which he supposedly captured), or perhaps Illyrio is Salador Saan in a fat suit? Or perhaps Serra was a Saan. The Saan family was one of the Band of Nine who fought with the last Blackfyre pretender.

Not really a theory, but I feel like everyone sleeps on the fact that if the Baratheon brothers die heirless, Doran Martell is next in line for the Iron Throne, through Daenerys Targaryen (Daughter of Aegon IV).

Quentyn Martel lives.

Dany was not born on Dragonstone... Lemongate.

Craster is the son of Aemon Targaryen, and Jon's baby swap was ironically counterproductive.

The Three-eyed crow was Old Nan the whole time, not Bloodraven.

Bloodraven called the Great Council, which choose Egg to be king, with the intention of becoming King himself.

The Assassin sent to kill Bran was a Shadowcat's catspaw, and not a Lion's, sent by Mance and not Jof.

I don't really subscribe to it anymore but Mance is Rhaegar and Qorin Halfhand is Arthur Dayne has always been a favorite of mine.

Jojen paste is nasty enough and believable enough and upsets enough people that I'll cling to it until it's disproved (which it won't be!)

History does not actually repeat itself, disembodied souls don't wait millennia to return and redo the thing they screwed up the first time.  There will be no reborn AA or PtwP, but these stories have been useful to the people that tell them.

6 hours ago, Mourning Star said:

Bloodraven called the Great Council, which choose Egg to be king, with the intention of becoming King himself.

I could certainly buy it from him, he's ruthless and amoral enough. And that makes it so much sweeter when Aegon avenges Aenys Blackfyre's murder by imprisoning Bloodraven as his first kingly act. 

A+J = T has always been a favorite of mine. I don't think it's ever going to be proven, that Tyrion will ever learn or that it'll affect the overall story. Enough hints were definitely dangled to get a reader thinking and I can't believe that's an accident or coincidence. 

Not a theory so to say, but I like to think all the prophecies and visions about PtwP, LH and AAR will never be spelled out and even after the series is done we'll still be arguing who was who or if anyone was. 

Other honorable(or dishonorable) mentions include Lemongate, Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn, Jojen paste and the absurdity of BoltOn is entertaining even if not believable. Tin Foil can be fun if styled right.

9 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

A+J = T has always been a favorite of mine. I don't think it's ever going to be proven, that Tyrion will ever learn or that it'll affect the overall story. Enough hints were definitely dangled to get a reader thinking and I can't believe that's an accident or coincidence. 

Not a theory so to say, but I like to think all the prophecies and visions about PtwP, LH and AAR will never be spelled out and even after the series is done we'll still be arguing who was who or if anyone was. 

Other honorable(or dishonorable) mentions include Lemongate, Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn, Jojen paste and the absurdity of BoltOn is entertaining even if not believable. Tin Foil can be fun if styled right.

I could have included A+J=T. I think it will come out though.

BoltOn is the Roose is some sort of ageless, body swapping vampire theory, isn't it?  I've got a soft spot for that one too, even if it's a little out there.  It would explain Roose' somewhat cavalier disregard for the obvious threat Ramsay is to him as well as the seemingly very small Bolton family.

18 hours ago, James Steller said:

I could certainly buy it from him, he's ruthless and amoral enough. And that makes it so much sweeter when Aegon avenges Aenys Blackfyre's murder by imprisoning Bloodraven as his first kingly act. 

:| If blood raven wanted the throne he would have just killed Egg and Maegor and he would have been the last surviving Targaryen blood

18 hours ago, James Steller said:

That is rather unlikely. He was an old man at that point, unmarried and no children we know of. And even if he had any, it'd be a bastard. 

There is a 'theory' that Bloodraven actually wanted Aegon to become the king, almost as if he knew his line is which has to be continued due to prophecised stuff and all. That explains a lot about his actions, if that'd be the case, and would explain why Aerys I never conceived his marriage (believing he isn't the one that supposed to continue the line) and why he murdered Aenys Blackfyre who was no threat by any means. 

I like this thread topic because it's not intended to be a place to debate theories - just a place to express favorite theories;)

Favorite theories:

-Bloodraven is in the cave, is the Last Greenseer, and is the Three-Eyed Crow who has been waiting for Bran in service to protecting the realms of men.

-The Hooded Man is in Theon/Reek's mind only.

-I do like A+J=J&C for all the reasons already stated (but I doubt it's true).

-Aegon is an unknowing Blackfyre pretender (fAegon) through his mother Serra and is Illyrio's son.

-Varys poisoned Tywin and arranged it all, hoping what happened, would happen.

-Joffery sent the assassin after Bran because of Robert's stupid, flippant comment about putting him out of his misery.

-Jaquen is the Alchemist who kills Pate for the key and takes his place.

-The broken horn Sam has is the real Horn of Winter.

There are many more, of course, but that's all I can think of right now.

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

That is rather unlikely. He was an old man at that point, unmarried and no children we know of. And even if he had any, it'd be a bastard. 

I disagree.

He was 58, and we do not know if he had children, but we do know he wanted to marry Shiera Seastar.

Bloodraven was himself a legitimized bastard, but it's hard to for us to know his opinion on the matter, as we have so little to go off of.

There is a 'theory' that Bloodraven actually wanted Aegon to become the king, almost as if he knew his line is which has to be continued due to prophecised stuff and all. That explains a lot about his actions, if that'd be the case, and would explain why Aerys I never conceived his marriage (believing he isn't the one that supposed to continue the line) and why he murdered Aenys Blackfyre who was no threat by any means. 

This doesn't really make any sense.

Bloodraven was the Hand of the King, and had already spent decades ruling in all but name (during which time a remarkable number of Targaryens died).

There was no reason to call a council to justify crowning Aegon. Outside of Bloodraven himself, there isn't another compelling claim to justify such an action, and once you have passed over Vaella and Maegor, why not pass over half-peasant Egg too?

The Great Council dismissed Prince Daeron's sweet but simple-minded daughter Vaella immediately. Only a few spoke up for Aerion Brightflame's son Maegor

Nobody was starting a war to defend the claims of Vaella or Maegor.

Bloodraven clearly never intended a Blackfyre to be chosen, he literally decapitated Aenys Blackfyre and paraded his head in front of the gathered lords.

And Aemon was never a claimant. 

It is often overlooked that Bloodraven was legitimized along with the Blackfyres and the rest of Aegon the Unworthy Great Bastards, however he clearly had a claim to the throne.

It also helps reframe a the story as a whole (and helps it make more sense) once you realize Bloodraven might not be the wise old teacher in a tree trying to help with magic (despite accomplishing basically nothing productive if that's his goal), but instead is a bitter ancient power who feels wronged by the nation he spent a lifetime "serving", and who watched his family get deposed as the Blackfyres once again loom in the east. Rather than trying to orchestrate some defense of the realms of man, he is actually the one behind the return of the Others.

57 minutes ago, Brynden"Bloodraven" Rivers said:

:| If blood raven wanted the throne he would have just killed Egg and Maegor and he would have been the last surviving Targaryen blood

I think it more likely that BR was the guy who told Egg that the best way forward would be for him to be sent to the Wall than he was going to try to take the throne for himself, but the other theory is valid too. We haven't been told enough to make a call here.

2 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

There was no reason to call a council to justify crowning Aegon. Outside of Bloodraven himself, there isn't another compelling claim to justify such an action, and once you have passed over Vaella and Maegor, why not pass over half-peasant Egg too?

I think that BR was a pretty despised character and if he had either a) taken the throne for himself or b) said that Egg was his favored candidate that either choice would have faced intense opposition. By allowing Egg to be acclaimed by council and then banishing BR himself, Egg gets to start fresh without all of BR's baggage and enemies.

10 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I think it more likely that BR was the guy who told Egg that the best way forward would be for him to be sent to the Wall than he was going to try to take the throne for himself, but the other theory is valid too. We haven't been told enough to make a call here.

We certainly don't know enough to be sure... but exactly the right amount to speculate wildly!

I would argue that the "honor guard" wasn't for Aemon at all but to be sure Bloodraven didn't pull a Bittersteal and escape.

Egg wanted me to help him rule, but I knew my place was here. He sent me north aboard the Golden Dragon, and insisted that his friend Ser Duncan see me safe to Eastwatch. No recruit had arrived at the Wall with so much pomp since Nymeria sent the Watch six kings in golden fetters. Egg emptied out the dungeons too, so I would not need to say my vows alone. My honor guard, he called them. One was no less a man than Brynden Rivers. Later he was chosen lord commander."

If I'm feeling particularly bold I'd even suggest the names for those 6 kings are all indirect references to Bloodraven. Such as Albin Manwoody (Albin meaning white), so the white wood man... or Lucifer.

11 minutes ago, Mourning Star said:

I would argue that the "honor guard" wasn't for Aemon at all but to be sure Bloodraven didn't pull a Bittersteal and escape.

I do like that spin. Weren't BR's Dragon's Teeth a large portion of that honour guard though?  Mightn't they have been loyal to Rivers if he had given an order to commandeer the ship?  

Archived