Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I feel you are being unnecessarily confrontational here.

I hadn't heard about it either until long after I should have. In fact I think here was the first time it even came on my radar. 

How am I being confrontational? It's a simple fact that this story was widely reported on. If a bunch of people on here didn't know about it then that's hardly a media cover up.

15 minutes ago, baxus said:

@Consigliere The fact that so many people here weren't aware of it for so long is speaking volumes. Only if you want to listen, though.

The fact that this story has been widely reported on speaks volumes. If you and others on here were unaware of it then that is not my problem and most certainly isn't a media cover up. And since we're going on anecdotes, every football fan I know has known about this story since 2018.

24 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

How am I being confrontational? It's a simple fact that this story was widely reported on. If a bunch of people on here didn't know about it then that's hardly a media cover up.

If the story has been widely reported on, why would so many people here be unaware of it? 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

If the story has been widely reported on, why would so many people here be unaware of it? 

How should I know? Other people being unaware of something that was widely reported is not my problem that I need to answer for. Every football fan I know has been aware of this story since 2018. It was big news at the time.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

How should I know? Other people being unaware of something that was widely reported is not my problem that I need to answer for. Every football fan I know has been aware of this story since 2018. It was big news at the time.

What was big news in 2018 was that Ronaldo had been accused of rape, the police did nothing, and she was asking for a shit load of money.

That he has since admitted raping her to his lawyers has been kept relatively quiet.

5 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

But surely you can see that if something was 'widely reported' we would all be aware of it? Hence it can't have been that widely reported. 

8 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

But surely you can see that if something was 'widely reported' we would all be aware of it? Hence it can't have been that widely reported. 

If you Google 'bbc ronaldo rape' it only comes up with stories linked to the protest last month. 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

What was big news in 2018 was that Ronaldo had been accused of rape, the police did nothing, and she was asking for a shit load of money.

That he has since admitted raping her to his lawyers has been kept relatively quiet.

No. The first story was published by Der Spiegel in 2017. That was the story didn't gain much traction. The 2018 story by Der Spiegel interviewed Kathryn Mayorga as well as revealed additional documents from the Rui Pinto hack - these were the emails with the confession. That's when the story blew up.

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

So every major publication in at least Germany, Italy, Spain and England running articles about this cannot be classified as widely reported in your opinion?

14 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

No. The first story was published by Der Spiegel in 2017. That was the story didn't gain much traction. The 2018 story by Der Spiegel interviewed Kathryn Mayorga as well as revealed additional documents from the Rui Pinto hack - these were the emails with the confession. That's when the story blew up.

I didn't hear about his 'confession' until Ronaldo had re-signed for United. And as I said, I generally like to keep on top of the footie news.

Just now, Spockydog said:

I didn't hear about his 'confession' until Ronaldo had re-signed for United. And as I said, I generally like to keep on top of the footie news.

Yeah, and that's fair enough. I don't expect everyone to know about every story out there. I just didn't agree with this being framed by certain posters as a media cover up.

Ronaldo, rape and rehabilitation: What sorry episode shows us about football

YOU may have read about Cristiano Ronaldo’s greatly publicised, highly vaunted transfer from Juventus to Manchester United over the last week or so. The Portuguese superstar – unquestionably one of the greatest players to ever grace the sport – returning to the team that elevated him to demigod status for many all those years ago as both parties look to recapture their former glory.

Sounds romantic, right? Even now I can hear a chorus of violins swelling somewhere in the distance. But a quick glance on social media at some of the ‘hidden replies’ – responses from users that have been censored by a tweet’s original publisher – on stories hailing Ronaldo as “an example to every footballer” painted an altogether different picture.

You see, away from the glitz and the glam of one of the world’s greatest players transferring between two of its grandest old clubs, there has been outright dissent. Not because of anything Ronaldo has achieved on the park, though. The anger is directed at his murky past off of it.

Comment after comment was hidden where Ronaldo was accused of being a rapist, following on from allegations that date back to 2009. Der Spiegel reported in 2018 that the German newspaper had access to documents that showed the Portuguese had signed a witness statement during the investigation of rape claims made by American Kathryn Mayorga.

Ronaldo spuriously denies the allegations, which he has previously branded ‘fake news’, but there are a few too many – fans, clubs and major institutions in the media – which are all too keen to brush such troublesome issues under the carpet and laud the footballer’s prowess. It’s a reaction that must be horribly deflating and depressing for victims of sexual assault yet sadly, the Ronaldo case is not an isolated incident.

Just now, Consigliere said:

Yeah, and that's fair enough. I don't expect everyone to know about every story out there. I just didn't agree with this being framed by certain posters as a media cover up.

Well, if you compare and contrast the treatment of other high profile rapist and paedo footballers, it pretty much is.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Well, if you compare and contrast the treatment of other high profile rapist and paedo footballers, it pretty much is.

What exactly was covered up? Most articles were simply restating the information that was published by Der Spiegel which contained details of the NDA, the emails and interview with Mayorga.

I don't think there's a cover up but I think it's definitely fair to say it hasn't got the level of coverage you might expect. I mean I heard of the accusations when Der Spiegel dropped them but I didn't become aware of him being on paper admitting it till someone directly linked me not long before he signed for us, and before I saw that it was basically vague chatter that she said he did it but Police wouldn't prosecute. And even now, it's being covered, but not really linked with match day coverage, which is why it still passes so many people by. 

Like Gary Lineker has direct linked to the Der Spiegel article on his twitter a couple years back I believe, but now not a peep.

2 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

is today the day mike ashley finally is gone from newcastle?

Almost certainly. Martyn Ziegler was very confident that the deal would go through today and with the support of the Premier League.

2 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

will the toon get a mountain of oil cash embroiled in human rights abuse? 

Definitely. Bruce will be gone too. The Newcastle journos are very confident that Bruce will be replaced sooner rather than later. Apparently the new owners are already on the hunt for a Sporting Director.

4 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Definitely. Bruce will be gone too. The Newcastle journos are very confident that Bruce will be replaced sooner rather than later. Apparently the new owners are already on the hunt for a Sporting Director.

A lot of calls for Shearer and Keegan to be given roles. Keegan, yeah, I can see why. Shearer, however....

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

A lot of calls for Shearer and Keegan to be given roles. Keegan, yeah, I can see why. Shearer, however....

Non-coaching or managerial roles would be okay, I guess but I wouldn't want either to be part of the coaching staff or either as manager. Keegan is way more proven than Shearer but he's been out of the game for a long time now (over 12 years I think). I'd have assumed the new owners would throw bags of money at a big name manager. They should offer Conte a 2+1 contract at £20m/year and give him a decent amount of control over transfers. A big name manager will help to attract top talent and sell the project as well. Also having owners with unlimited money and control over transfers is basically Conte's wet dream.

Just a bit more details on the takeover. The Saudi Investment Fund will hold an 80% stake. The minority shareholders will be Amanda Staveley's PCP Capital Partners with a 10% stake and property developers Simon and David Reuben with the remaining 10%.

Archived