Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

So we have a new worst owners in football. I doubt the Saudis are buying Newcastle due to their love of the Premier League so it's probably down to them thinking sports washing works. :frown5:

They’re not wrong, unfortunately.  The Glazers get a lot more resistance than the owners of City, PSG and Chelsea.  Even Kroenke does.  The upcoming World Cup will tell us a lot.

the January transfer period will be a riot. toon will be getting robbed to buy anyone. but, oh do they have holes in their lineup that need an £60 million plug.

funniest will be in proper newcastle tragic fashion they still go down! 

and they should at least keep steve bruce on as an usher. 

good and happy fuck you to all the smart fucks who were all 'allan saint-maxxim is sold in January.' nobody can afford what we reckon he is worth now. best we could do is trade him to psg for their whole front three. 

9 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

To be fair, being valued at 800 million doesn't mean you will be sold for that price. Plus, there's the fact Ashley was desperate to sell.

In the U.S. it means you will get sold for more. The Miami Marlins were valued at $800-900m and sold for $1.2B. The L.A. Clippers weren't valued at anything close to $2B, but that's what they went for. Because we don't have relegation, team's don't lose value year or year ever, and leagues like the NBA play a neat trick where they make the cost of buying an expansion team more expensive than buying one of the bad teams which always leads to overbids. It's just a different game here and the American owners in the PL tried to export our general business model to Europe. I still think in the long run they'll eventually get what they want. The three highest valued sports franchises in the world are in the U.S., with one of them being a laughing stock, and 7 of the top 10 are here as well. I see no reason why the top five wouldn't immediately become European clubs the moment a SL happens.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Late to the party, but I think this does sum up why the big clubs wanted a Super League and why relegation was off the table:

Have any of the clubs who were going to the super league been anywhere near relegation in the last 25 years? 

A quick Google makes me think Chelsea were the last ones in 87-88. Juve got demoted but that's not the same. 

Also club value matters to about 15 people, who gives a shit? 

From some of the things I've read and listened to, the general consensous (from american investors mostly) is that the Premier League is still massively undervalued and has the potential to grow massively commercially, but only if they can bring in all the learnings from the US market. I found myself becoming increasingly frustrated listening to a lot of these people talk, because it does seem that even after all this time they have little interest in the actual history or traditions of English sport, and would be happy to rip it all up if it meant they make a few bucks on resale value. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58837780

"I understand that questions have to be asked about the human rights issues, it's really important that we don't brush them under the carpet," Shearer added, holding a large brush.

What a buffoon this man is.

"It is a huge issue but it's not Newcastle United fans' fault - they don't get a say in their football club and how it's run."

This follows a euphoric discussion of how the Saudi money will deliver what those fans deserve. Saudi money is what we deserve, Saudi human rights abuses are nothing to do with us. We welcome the new ownership but also can't be expected to say anything about its shortcomings. Brush brush brush.

I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons why those rules exist to prevent bias and stuff, but in this case it just looks like the case is being thrown out because a document in which he explicitly confesses his guilt might unfairly sway people into thinking he's guilty, which seems a bit of a blind spot in the circumstances. 

I have to say that the clamour for Newcastle fans to somehow stand up and object to the Saudi takeover is utter horseshit.

As we've seen over the past fourteen years, Newcastle fans do not have a say in who owns their club. So what difference would it make if 50,000 Geordies took to the streets and demanded the Saudis get tae fuck?

And even if such action could make a difference, why should they bother? Why should Newcastle fans be expected to bear some mythical cross of morality, when the Saudi regime continues to be glad-handed and fawned over by our lickspittle politicians and arms manufacturers, every single day of the week?

31 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm sure there are perfectly good reasons why those rules exist to prevent bias and stuff, but in this case it just looks like the case is being thrown out because a document in which he explicitly confesses his guilt might unfairly sway people into thinking he's guilty, which seems a bit of a blind spot in the circumstances. 

The case was always likely to be thrown out though. Mayorga's lawyer based the lawsuit on documents that were clearly privileged communication between Ronaldo and his lawyers. The judge was pretty scathing in his criticism of Mayorga's attorney's conduct.

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I have to say that the clamour for Newcastle fans to somehow stand up and object to the Saudi takeover is utter horseshit.

As we've seen over the past fourteen years, Newcastle fans do not have a say in who owns their club. So what difference would it make if 50,000 Geordies took to the streets and demanded the Saudis get tae fuck?

And even if such action could make a difference, why should they bother? Why should Newcastle fans be expected to bear some mythical cross of morality, when the Saudi regime continues to be glad-handed and fawned over by our lickspittle politicians and arms manufacturers, every single day of the week?

Why does anyone ever do the right thing?

Archived