Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

20 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Wait, the replays seemed to indicate Mbappe being well off-side.

You are focusing on the wrong player there.

Eric Garcia is the key player in this goal. He tried to clear the ball and actually got to the ball and altered its direction slightly. That's enough. According to the rule books that was a controlled play by him. And as we know, the attacker can't be offside if the ball came from a defender.

If you call BS on that one being  controlled play of the ball by Garcia, I am with you. But that's why the goal stood.

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

I see a lot of 'boohoo poor rich guy' in the comments but Courtois is absolutely correct. 

Regardless of how well-compensated national team players may be, these alphabet groups (FIFA, UEFA, etc.) are going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs with too many competitions.

The top players will break down if you play them constantly.

The viewers will suffer from a glut of games.

The games in multiple competitions will be less singular and important (see the Champions League group stages for example).

And in the end the many, less-important games being played by second-tier replacement players for the injured top tier players won't draw the interest of the fans.

And that, my friends, is how you dilute a product (see the post-expansion MLB regular season for example).

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Regardless of how well-compensated national team players may be, these alphabet groups (FIFA, UEFA, etc.) are going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs with too many competitions.

The top players will break down if you play them constantly.

The viewers will suffer from a glut of games.

The games in multiple competitions will be less singular and important (see the Champions League group stages for example).

And in the end the many, less-important games being played by second-tier replacement players for the injured top tier players won't draw the interest of the fans.

And that, my friends, is how you dilute a product (see the post-expansion MLB regular season for example).

All that is true, and should be noticed that in Brazil, where teams play even more than in Europe (for example, Flamengo in 2019 played 76 games), there's already a noticeable effect in terms of declining TV viewership post pandemic when you had an even bigger glut of games than usual, with an inevitable decline in quality of football.  I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happened in Europe or worldwide.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

3rd placed playoffs are fucking stupid. Nobody cares about 3rd in the world Cup Cup fucks sake, never mind the nations league. 

The WC has tradition and the fact that when it's a nation that it's not one that is regularly in the top 4, winning it can be an achievement. Plus, those are usually games where the goals flow, because sides are less concerned with defense.

But for the NL, Copa América, etc, they are just ridiculous. At least the Euro doesn't have them.

Nations league is either the single most stupid idea UEFA/FIFA ever had or I'm completely missing the point of it. I find it hilarious how they try to paint the picture of that being a major trophy when it seems to me that no one cares about it one bit. It's doubtful that even players would care if they'd play that or a Euro/WC qualifiers or even a friendly.

New video bolsters claims Maradona flew 16-year-old girl out of Cuba and kept her 'locked in hotel'

ETA. didn't realise the article is paywalled. Can't find a non paywalled link. A summary:

A video of Maradona filming himself in bed with a 16-year-old has emerged in a human trafficking case against one of the his associates. Mavys Alvarez claims Maradona and his entourage groomed her as a teenager and flew her to Argentina from her native Cuba without her parents’ permission, plied her with drugs, locked her in a hotel room for 3 months and pressured her into getting breast implants.

She says she was taken from Cuba to Buenos Aires in 2001 after being introduced to Fidel Castro who gave a special dispensation for her to leave the country with Maradona. Alvarez says her relationship with Maradona lasted 3 years. Says she had kept silent about it out of fear her family could face repercussions by the Cuban regime.

A case for trafficking and exploitation of persons has been opened in Argentina. Ms. Alvarez has also called for an investigation into the immigration officials. Her lawyer alleges there was collusion between the foreign and local immigration authorities.

4 hours ago, baxus said:

Nations league is either the single most stupid idea UEFA/FIFA ever had or I'm completely missing the point of it. I find it hilarious how they try to paint the picture of that being a major trophy when it seems to me that no one cares about it one bit. It's doubtful that even players would care if they'd play that or a Euro/WC qualifiers or even a friendly.

I saw some celebrations by some players who apparently won the nations league on Sunday. I had no idea it was even occurring, I don’t know what the prize is and I don’t know why it exists. I don’t know why they were celebrating. 

It seems like every single solution the governing bodies have for improving football are almost always the exact opposite of what actually needs to happen

20 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

3rd placed playoffs are fucking stupid. Nobody cares about 3rd in the world Cup Cup fucks sake, never mind the nations league. 

I'm one of those weird perverts who likes a third place playoff, it satisfies some pedantic corner of my soul. 

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

New video bolsters claims Maradona flew 16-year-old girl out of Cuba and kept her 'locked in hotel'

ETA. didn't realise the article is paywalled. Can't find a non paywalled link. A summary:

A video of Maradona filming himself in bed with a 16-year-old has emerged in a human trafficking case against one of the his associates. Mavys Alvarez claims Maradona and his entourage groomed her as a teenager and flew her to Argentina from her native Cuba without her parents’ permission, plied her with drugs, locked her in a hotel room for 3 months and pressured her into getting breast implants.

She says she was taken from Cuba to Buenos Aires in 2001 after being introduced to Fidel Castro who gave a special dispensation for her to leave the country with Maradona. Alvarez says her relationship with Maradona lasted 3 years. Says she had kept silent about it out of fear her family could face repercussions by the Cuban regime.

A case for trafficking and exploitation of persons has been opened in Argentina. Ms. Alvarez has also called for an investigation into the immigration officials. Her lawyer alleges there was collusion between the foreign and local immigration authorities.

Non-paywall link.

Walking, talking, half-man-half-penis, Gianni Infantino, wants to award the 2030 World cup to the second most abhorrent regime in the world, Israel.

Not only that, the corrupt, deluded cunt thinks it acceptable to suggest that they co-host it with Palestine.

JFC.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Walking, talking, half-man-half-penis, Gianni Infantino, wants to award the 2030 World cup to the second most abhorrent regime in the world, Israel.

Not only that, the corrupt, deluded cunt thinks it acceptable to suggest that they co-host it with Palestine.

JFC.

I have lots of problems with Israel, and even more with them hosting the WC, but if you think it's the second most abhorrent regime in the world, perhaps you need some geopolitics lessons, because it's not even the 2nd worst in the Middle East, let alone the planet.

I'm not sure what 'co-hosting' with Palestine would mean in this scenario, since I'm fairly sure the Palestinian territories don't have a football stadium that could host even a group match and the Palestinian authorities assuredly don't have the ability at present to build one. (Even if they did, the Israelis would more than likely bomb it to rubble the first time someone threw a stone at an IDF soldier.)

Israel on its own probably couldn't host the tournament either, but even if it could, numerous teams would probably boycott the event and Infantino must know that.

Presumably Infantino is saying this for political reasons and knows it's not a thing that will actually happen.

Archived