Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

Kelleher looked pretty decent, when he filled in Alisson, iirc. So I wouldn't be that panicky about him being in goal against Watford. Or is he out on loan somewhere?

Your midfield, no idea who you have available.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

What really puts the icing that shitcake is that Alisson rode the bench for Brazil.  Why did Tite even bother to have him travel if he wasn't going to use him?

I think international breaks are bullshit at the best of times and certainly shouldn't be happening in situations like this, but once it's accepted that they are I don't get this criticism of the manager. It isn't Tite's job to worry about Liverpool - it would have been a failure of responsibility if he'd left Alisson at home, then whoever did start got injured. He's got to look at his own job, not Klopp's.

9 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

There would be certainly a release clause at least.

There really wouldn't have been. They're almost unheard of in the English game, and Kane was clearly very happy at Spurs when he signed the contract, hence the six years. It's the six years bit that's silly, and for all we know his brother/advisors could have cautioned against that at the time.

And let's not pretend that Kane or his family will ever want for money, so that's a non-factor. He could earn more, sure, but does he need to? No.

29 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

There really wouldn't have been. They're almost unheard of in the English game, and Kane was clearly very happy at Spurs when he signed the contract, hence the six years. It's the six years bit that's silly, and for all we know his brother/advisors could have cautioned against that at the time.

And let's not pretend that Kane or his family will ever want for money, so that's a non-factor. He could earn more, sure, but does he need to? No.

I'm not sure that's how footballers think.

As for what a better agent could do (Kane's brother is an agent, I understand, even if Kane is his only real client): well, hopefully they'd have handled the situation more intelligently. Clumsily trying to bounce both selling and buying club into a move at a price neither had agreed to by means of a hilariously obviously planted story at your own wedding was, to be generous, ill-advised. It did nothing but cool both clubs' interest in the transfer.

Sure, but while he might prefer more money, I don't think he'll suffer for lack of it.

And agreed that they handled things poorly in the summer, but I'm not sure there was a good way to handle it. The contract length was the big mistake, and after that, good luck getting Levy to budge.

I don't think City lost interest - from what I've read, City started with a low initial bid, and Spurs refused to respond at all.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Clumsily trying to bounce both selling and buying club into a move at a price neither had agreed to by means of a hilariously obviously planted story at your own wedding was, to be generous, ill-advised. It did nothing but cool both clubs' interest in the transfer.

When he signed that deal, I do believe that Levy told Kane 'something' about being able to leave if they didn't win anything. And I think that appointing Mourinho was Levy's last ditch attempt at keeping him. But given the chairman's past record in these matters, it was naïve in the extreme not getting it in writing.

And I imagine that, over the summer, Levy did not take well to Kane's claim that wherever he played this season would be entirely up to him. 

He should never have sat down for that interview with Gary Neville.

Archived