Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

It’s a bit weird Newcastle are the bad guys now.

I wasn’t actually watching because it’s still Newcastle Spurs but I just turned over and everyone is just standing around. Apparently someone’s had a medical emergency in the crowd so hopefully they’re okay.

Well that was the best I've seen us play since City, albeit against a very poor Newcastle team.

The Newcastle owners have a lot of work to do, but the fans do have a lot to look forward to. Within a couple of years the whole team will probably be different and they'll be in the CL.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

It’s a bit weird Newcastle are the bad guys now.

It really is. I fell in love with them during the Keegan years. They were one of the most exciting teams I've ever seen. This period also coincided with the best New Year's Eve I ever had - flitting between the house parties of complete strangers along the seafront in Whitley Bay with my then girlfriend. 

The Geordies are great people and I wish I could be happy for them. But today they made me cheer for Spurs, so fuck 'em. 

The thing is, in 5 years time we’ll all have forgotten about it. Man City used to be the plucky underdog of Manchester, I had a soft spot for them, Feed the Goat and all that. 

Now they are just such a behemoth it’s hard to even connect them to that old club. Their fans feel plastic now, no matter how many Gallaghers are there.

And it’s just accepted their owners are awful. Nobody cares.

To make matters worse, there's reports in the press the same Saudi Fund fund that bought Newcastle wants to buy Inter, Olympique and unspecified Brazilian club (probably Cruzeiro, since it's the biggest club likely to go completely bankrupt in the next 2-3 years, and associates would be forced to accept). So, pretty soon all of the world's football will be a plaything between oil-rich gangsters and autocrats.

Sadly, it doesn't mean he's wrong, tho.

Look at United and their admirably and principled stance to get rid of the Glazers. They bought a bunch of shiny toys during their shopping trips, and the fans were pacified.

There aren't any large scale protest over UAE and human rights abuses there, neither are there large scale protests over those issues among PSG fans over their Qatari overlords. The only time they get criticized it's over financial foulplay. Financial Fair Play is pretty much dead, just that UEFA is not willing to admit it.

As for the reforms, about making a rule of not spending more than 60% of the revenue on wages. Big deal. To quote an unofficial from YB Bern. 60% of infinite money, is still infinite. So that's not really stopping Qatar or the Emirates (or now Saudi Arabia) from splashing cash on their image campaign toys.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Sadly, it doesn't mean he's wrong, tho.

Look at United and their admirably and principled stance to get rid of the Glazers. They bought a bunch of shiny toys during their shopping trips, and the fans were pacified.

There aren't any large scale protest over UAE and human rights abuses there, neither are there large scale protests over those issues among PSG fans over their Qatari overlords. The only time they get criticized it's over financial foulplay. Financial Fair Play is pretty much dead, just that UEFA is not willing to admit it.

As for the reforms, about making a rule of not spending more than 60% of the revenue on wages. Big deal. To quote an unofficial from YB Bern. 60% of infinite money, is still infinite. So that's not really stopping Qatar or the Emirates (or now Saudi Arabia) from splashing cash on their image campaign toys.

"Most fans don't care who owns their football club."

Well, the Geordies have certainly cared for the past fourteen years. So he's talking shit right there.

And it was pretty despicable from Sky Sports having the bestie of one of the new directors spouting propaganda all day. Their entire coverage of the day was nauseating.

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

"Most fans don't care who owns their football club."

Well, the Geordies have certainly cared for the past fourteen years. So he's talking shit right there.

And it was pretty despicable from Sky Sports having the bestie of one of the new directors spouting propaganda all day. Their entire coverage of the day was nauseating.

They did care for the wrong reasons, tho. Namely the same ones, why Arsenal fans are not happy with Kroenke. That Ashley was not ambitious enough, and did not put money into the team to provide geordies with shiny new toys. Let's assume for the sake of the argument, had Ashley provided NU with warchest similar to Liverpool or Chelsea, they'd be singing his name in the streets, and copper's kids would be named Mike and Ashley. They dodged a bullet there (sorry, BFC couldn't resist).

Chelsea were annoyingly efficient this past weekend.  They’re gutless, and boring af to watch, but they’re eking out wins and relying on some really great goal-keeping* plus some very solid CB play.

I hope they start dropping points until the play some braver football because I hate to see the parked bus being rewarded.

*I think their DoF needs to get more credit.  After a huge blunder of signing Kepa as the most expensive GK ever, they wisely reversed themselves and found a bargain in Mendy.  It’s rare for anyone to admit a mistake of that magnitude and reverse themselves.  And that’s on top of the huge success in selling Costa, Morata, Hazard and others at the prices they got.

Michael Edwards and his spreadsheet gets a lot of credit but Chelsea’s buying and selling has been good in recent years.  Even if Werner has fallen short of expectations.

Archived