Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

I watched the Liverpool vs Watford game via on Sunday.  Lots has been said already so I’ll point out something new:

Liverpool benefited from abandoning a new tactic used so far this season.  The RMF, first Elliott then Henderson, has been drifting wide of Salah and creating an overload on the right wing, and pushing TAA into an inside channel instead, mainly producing more crosses from Salah or the RMF.  But those crosses have mostly been unproductive, aside from one good Jota headed goal from a Henderson cross, and it meant the RMF was too far forward to support TAA from any counterattacks.

In the game against Watford, that wasn’t happening.  Keita was playing in a more typical box-to-box mode, was close to his MF partners and the CBS to maintain possession, and gave cover to TAA while still offering attacking threat by carrying the ball and making through-passes to Firmino and Salah.  We looked more balanced and didn’t get exposed by counterattacks.

Fun half. Felix did really well on the second goal. Made a fool of Naby for sure. Defenders just kinda watched Griezmann though. 

16 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Firmino has done bugger all, you clown..

:D just wanted to get that in before he miss placed a pass and you cried 

12 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

The dimwits on BT Sport arguing that that shouldn't have been a red as Griezmann didn't know he was about to stud Firmino's face. Maybe one day they'll read the rulebook of the sport they're paid to commentate on.

Yeah I generally would be okay with those not being red cards but as the rules stand they clearly are. 

Anyway Liverpool are soft right now. Both in the tactical sense of being too easily turned over in the middle and in the 'give it out not take it' sense, though the latter is pretty normal from them whereas the former is not and is more worrying. 

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah I generally would be okay with those not being red cards but as the rules stand they clearly are. 

Anyway Liverpool are soft right now. Both in the tactical sense of being too easily turned over in the middle and in the 'give it out not take it' sense, though the latter is pretty normal from them whereas the former is not and is more worrying. 

You think players should be free to blindly swing their feet around at head height? Have you recently been kicked in the head?

3 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

You think players should be free to blindly swing their feet around at head height? Have you recently been kicked in the head?

I don't think there's really much point responding, because recently you've just been  unpleasant any time anyone vaguely disagrees with you.

1 minute ago, Soylent Brown said:

I was making a crap joke. I am surprised that anyone would think those should be let go though.

Fair enough. Sense of humah failure on my part then oh no I just did exactly what I accused Liverpool of.

Put it this way, I fully get the arguments for- I'm not super mad that they are penalties- but I think there's a difference between controlling the ball and tackling, this is still a contact sport, and sometimes there just are situations where you're gonna collide with someone when doing things you should be allowed to do - like control a high ball. 

Mind you, it depends on context, and looking at another angle, Firmino was more directly in front of him than I thought at first. Basically for me if they're both running for the same dropping ball at angles, one goes to control and one heads, there should be room for it not to be a red. But in this one, there was nothing Firmino did that put him more in the path of Griezmann's boot after Griezmann started to stretch for it, so I've changed my mind. 

Liverpool were ropey for a lot of the game, but Atletico are such shithousers that I still feel joy rather than sheepish relief.

Despite a patchy performance, we just won one of the hardest away matches in the entire CL, against an in-form team who really needed a result and who will use every cheat, dive, niggle and foul to their advantage.

It’s worrying though that we struggled for long periods against both City and Atletico.  There’s a loose raggedness against teams who can use the ball really well.

That was such an enjoyable game for the neutrals. Though, as a poor, downtrodden Arsenal supporter, I am now officially nominating Liverpool as my Big Team Who Win Things.

If Max Rusden can support both Cambridge United and Tottenham, then I see no reason why I can't support Arsenal and Liverpool. After all, we are talking about a similar gulf in class.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That was such an enjoyable game for the neutrals. Though, as a poor, downtrodden Arsenal supporter, I am now officially nominating Liverpool as my Big Team Who Win Things.

If Max Rusden can support both Cambridge United and Tottenham, then I see no reason why I can't support Arsenal and Liverpool. After all, we are talking about a similar gulf in class.

The welcome kit includes a large chip for your shoulder, an inflated set of expectations, and a defibrillator.

Archived