Arya's mental illness

Rondo

I do think Arya is mentally ill but I don't think she's insane.

That said, there is so many directions that GRRM can go with her story right now, it's crazy. Well, scratch that: she's definitely not going on a boat and sailing of into parts unknown.

3 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

I'd rather for Arya to die by dragon flame.  But the irony will be greater if she were to die from a faceless man. 

I actually think that's actually possible.

My pet prediction for the end of Arya's story is that she breaks flock from the Faceless Men and returns to Westeros at the end of The Winds of Winter and that the House of Black and White send a couple of shape-shifting assassins after her (because you can't just learn all their way and then just leave) and they end up chasing her around Westeros in A Dream of Spring.

Kinda like the Bourne Identity series.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rondo said:

Arya Stark is on track to murder a lot of people who opposed her family.  She composed a list of her future knife targets.  She joins a cult of murderers in order to learn their work.  Part of the initiation into this gang involved the murder of an old, insurance vendor.  Which she carried out in cold blood.  She killed a Nightswatch bard named Dareon with her rapier.  Arya is on track to become insane, if she isn't already.  She suffers from a serious mental disorder and kills with little to no guilt.  

Arya and Lyanna are compared by Ned as having the same wolf's blood.  This temperament, being hypersensitive and having quick tempers made them biologically vulnerable to mental illness.  The trauma endured is the catalyst that drove Arya to her mental illness.  The teachings of a cult of people who worshiped the god of death and who delivers death without passion is as unhealthy an education as a person can get.  

Mr. Martin is crafting entertainment.  I have to admit, it would not interest me to read about a ten year old happy child playing with Lego blocks.  We already have that in Tommen.  Arya Stark is his extreme version of a crazed little girl who is suffering from mental illness and insanity.  Ofcourse she is not going to count the hairs on a mule's ass kind of insane.  No way.  That's comedy and not extreme enough.  I do not root for Arya Stark.  I am not a fan of Arya Stark.  But I will admit that I find her chapters a little more interesting now because of her madness.  You don't even get to watch a 10 year old this mentally ill on the television.  

I do not expect a change of character direction for Arya Stark.  She had a chance to pick a different way of living before killing the old insurance vendor.  She instead chose revenge.  Jon's last thoughts before dying was sending her a telepathic message to "stick em with the pointy end." He is telling her to murder Bowen Marsh and the leaders of the Nightswatch.  That can't be good.  She will murder a lot of people when she hears Jon's message and finds him dead.  Karma will come back and put an end to Arya but not until she has killed many.

Some of her future victims do deserve punishment.  Ramsay is without good and deserve punishment.  But there are those who were forced to play the game of power who do not deserve her wrath.  They were just on the opposite side of the playing field.  The ghost of HH saw a bloody future for Arya.  It's clear to me that there will be collateral damage and many innocents will die while Arya goes through with her murderous plan.  

How and who will stop Arya?  Somebody will.  

Arya Stark is a very sick girl. I don't know who will stop her but she will die with needle in her grasp. She will anger a lot of people, among the fans and in the story.  Maybe Ramsay will catch her. 

I think Arya's future will be extremely dark. she is clearly hurt and she doesn't know right from wrong . after all how would she? she has been on her own in middle of a war from an early age. but if we wanna go for a bittersweet ending for her probably someone she loves or someone who loves her would have to put an end to her wrong doings either by killing her or anything else not a cult like faceless men or any of their enemies for that matter since that makes her a martyr and the real tragedy would be lost

On 9/26/2021 at 6:01 PM, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

Surely don´t hope so.

Arya is not mentally ill, she is just adapting to a world full of injustice where the strong take what they want, no matter the consequences. The insurance guy is her only kill that is hard to justify and even here Arya thinks that he looks like a cold-hearted person and the contract to kill him is probably justified.

I surely hope so.  It's too bad that a lot of blood will be spilled before Arya dies. 

The old man was a contract killing and it was not justice in any shape or form. If it were justified it would not be an assassination.  An assassination is something done under the table, under cover, and not legal.  

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I think Arya's future will be extremely dark. she is clearly hurt and she doesn't know right from wrong . after all how would she? she has been on her own in middle of a war from an early age. but if we wanna go for a bittersweet ending for her probably someone she loves or someone who loves her would have to put an end to her wrong doings either by killing her or anything else not a cult like faceless men or any of their enemies for that matter since that makes her a martyr and the real tragedy would be lost

I can accept that.  Gendry, Ned Dayne, or somebody could do it.  Jon would destroy the world for Arya. He actually already did that by betraying the Nights Watch.  It won't be him.

11 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I do think Arya is mentally ill but I don't think she's insane.

That said, there is so many directions that GRRM can go with her story right now, it's crazy. Well, scratch that: she's definitely not going on a boat and sailing of into parts unknown.

I actually think that's actually possible.

My pet prediction for the end of Arya's story is that she breaks flock from the Faceless Men and returns to Westeros at the end of The Winds of Winter and that the House of Black and White send a couple of shape-shifting assassins after her (because you can't just learn all their way and then just leave) and they end up chasing her around Westeros in A Dream of Spring.

Kinda like the Bourne Identity series.

I can see this reflecting what happened to Jon.  He betrayed his organization and they stabbed him.  Arya betrayed the FM and so they could very well send a tracker after her and stab her.  

On 9/27/2021 at 7:11 AM, SeanF said:

Arya has been profoundly traumatised by her experiences.  But, she is neither mad nor inherently bad.  She simply finds herself in a bad place, like Ciri in The Witcher.

Unfamiliar with Ciri.  Arya is not a leaf floating on the currents of society.  She has taken active steps to become a murderer.  She chose violence.  There were choices but her hate is too strong.  

On 9/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rondo said:

Arya Stark is on track to murder a lot of people who opposed her family.  She composed a list of her future knife targets.  She joins a cult of murderers in order to learn their work.  Part of the initiation into this gang involved the murder of an old, insurance vendor.  Which she carried out in cold blood.  She killed a Nightswatch bard named Dareon with her rapier.  Arya is on track to become insane, if she isn't already.  She suffers from a serious mental disorder and kills with little to no guilt.  

Arya and Lyanna are compared by Ned as having the same wolf's blood.  This temperament, being hypersensitive and having quick tempers made them biologically vulnerable to mental illness.  The trauma endured is the catalyst that drove Arya to her mental illness.  The teachings of a cult of people who worshiped the god of death and who delivers death without passion is as unhealthy an education as a person can get.  

Mr. Martin is crafting entertainment.  I have to admit, it would not interest me to read about a ten year old happy child playing with Lego blocks.  We already have that in Tommen.  Arya Stark is his extreme version of a crazed little girl who is suffering from mental illness and insanity.  Ofcourse she is not going to count the hairs on a mule's ass kind of insane.  No way.  That's comedy and not extreme enough.  I do not root for Arya Stark.  I am not a fan of Arya Stark.  But I will admit that I find her chapters a little more interesting now because of her madness.  You don't even get to watch a 10 year old this mentally ill on the television.  

I do not expect a change of character direction for Arya Stark.  She had a chance to pick a different way of living before killing the old insurance vendor.  She instead chose revenge.  Jon's last thoughts before dying was sending her a telepathic message to "stick em with the pointy end." He is telling her to murder Bowen Marsh and the leaders of the Nightswatch.  That can't be good.  She will murder a lot of people when she hears Jon's message and finds him dead.  Karma will come back and put an end to Arya but not until she has killed many.

Some of her future victims do deserve punishment.  Ramsay is without good and deserve punishment.  But there are those who were forced to play the game of power who do not deserve her wrath.  They were just on the opposite side of the playing field.  The ghost of HH saw a bloody future for Arya.  It's clear to me that there will be collateral damage and many innocents will die while Arya goes through with her murderous plan.  

How and who will stop Arya?  Somebody will.  

Insanity is just a sane mind overtaxed.

But all the signs are pointing to a bad end for Arya. But maybe this will be subverted, perhaps by Arya getting on a different path. As to who or what will do her in, I don't see any way to determine that now. Arya vs. Jaqen might be an interesting showdown, however.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Insanity is just a sane mind overtaxed.

But all the signs are pointing to a bad end for Arya. But maybe this will be subverted, perhaps by Arya getting on a different path. As to who or what will do her in, I don't see any way to determine that now. Arya vs. Jaqen might be an interesting showdown, however.

How about a young swords woman from Bravos against Arya Stark from Winterfell. The same age and size.  

I think we're all trying way too hard to mentally diagnose a fictional character here. It's fair to say Arya is on a dark path and has been through more and worse things than most of us have in their lives. It's only natural that she's inclined to lash back. Her core identity has always been challenged even before the Faceless Men started brainwashing her, when she had to consistently hide who she was and pretend to be someone else. The path she's walking is as thin as her sword and one misstep will spell an ugly end for her. 

4 hours ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

This is a profoundly disrespectful and racist comment! 

Confusion....

41 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I think we're all trying way too hard to mentally diagnose a fictional character here. It's fair to say Arya is on a dark path and has been through more and worse things than most of us have in their lives. It's only natural that she's inclined to lash back. Her core identity has always been challenged even before the Faceless Men started brainwashing her, when she had to consistently hide who she was and pretend to be someone else. The path she's walking is as thin as her sword and one misstep will spell an ugly end for her. 

:agree:

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Confusion....

Associating depression or any mental disorder in general with madness and evilness is, for me at least, very disrespectful and an example of sanism. This is how the mental disorder stigma perpetuates throughout our society.

3 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Associating depression or any mental disorder in general with madness and evilness is, for me at least, very disrespectful and an example of sanism. This is how the mental disorder stigma perpetuates throughout our society.

The confusion for me in that comment was when you called it racist. 

1 minute ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Sanism is a kind not racism. Isn't it?

rac·ism

noun

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

1 minute ago, Lord Lannister said:

rac·ism

noun

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Mentalism or sanism describes discrimination and oppression against a mental trait or condition a person has, or is judged to have. This discrimination may or may not be characterized in terms of mental disorder or cognitive impairment. The discrimination is based on numerous factors such as stereotypes about neurodivergence, for example autism, learning disorders, ADHD, bipolar, schizophrenia, and personality disorders, specific behavioral phenomena such as stuttering and tics, or intellectual disability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanism

I know that it's Wikipedia but still.

1 minute ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Mentalism or sanism describes discrimination and oppression against a mental trait or condition a person has, or is judged to have. This discrimination may or may not be characterized in terms of mental disorder or cognitive impairment. The discrimination is based on numerous factors such as stereotypes about neurodivergence, for example autism, learning disorders, ADHD, bipolar, schizophrenia, and personality disorders, specific behavioral phenomena such as stuttering and tics, or intellectual disability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanism

I know that it's Wikipedia but still.

Alright, I get the point you're trying to make I believe and agree with it being disrespectful like you say. The racist label just doesn't seem applicable and is what threw me off.

And I mean mine came from google. :P

Archived