Arya's mental illness

Rondo

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Though their endonym"free folk" is reminiscent of "Fremen" I think wildlings may actually correspond to those who left in the Scattering. They are outside the boundaries of the 7K, which would be the Imperium of Dune and they are returning because of a threat, just like Honored Matres did and just like the Honored Matres, they started their return violently. Now, I don't recall this, were HM and BG able to establish a peace or truce to fight against the common foe, like Jon(and Stannis, to some degree) was able to?

spoilers Dune CH

Spoiler

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: the BG captured one HM and turned her into one their own. This individual made herself legitimate leader of both factions (by mortal combat with one predecessor, and mind-melding with the other) - and then ordered a peaceful merger. A breakaway group of BG rejected the merger and fled. The common foe had yet to arrive by the end of the book.

1 minute ago, Springwatch said:

spoilers Dune CH

Hide contents

Short answer: yes

Longer answer: the BG captured one HM and turned her into one their own. This individual made herself legitimate leader of both factions (by mortal combat with one predecessor, and mind-melding with the other) - and then ordered a peaceful merger. A breakaway group of BG rejected the merger and fled. The common foe had yet to arrive by the end of the book.

Just like many of the wildlings that fled after the battle.

• 2 weeks later...

The training from the faceless men are contributing to Arya's mental illness.  The trauma from watching her father's confession of treason and the following execution started her illness but it is the other events which slowly took her to insanity town.  The bond with Nymeria seems unaffected by the distance and even the wolf is behaving more violently.  Direwolves are larger and more savage but it is unusual for wolves to harass humans and kill just for the hell of it.  The bile in Arya is affecting Nymeria.  The direwolf is sensing her hate and madness and acting out what Arya would do in a way only a wild animal can.  The bond travels both ways though.  Nymeria is contributing to Arya's sickness.  It is said she has the wolf's blood.  It seems she also has the wolf's mind.  A broken one at that.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

You're back! Do your duty, LastWolf!

All in good time :D

10 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Although, you did resurrect this fookin thread. 

Sometimes when we dislike a video on YouTube, we have to increase the view count by one whether we like it or not. Besides, bored. 

And there's a 0.000000007% chance that meaningful points may come up. I know, negligible. 

3 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

I have said before, incarcerating Arya is something which I would like to see. She is too badly damaged mentally and emotionally to be on the loose among the people. 

I'd bet your fingers were itching to type incinerating.

Next time, pls be more subtle in bumping dumpsterfire clusterfucks back onto the recent feed

I have myself to blame, choosing to beat this dead horse to announce the end of my hiatus, it's not like there are any lack of hatred threads...

8 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I'd bet your fingers were itching to type incinerating.

Next time, pls be more subtle in bumping dumpsterfire clusterfucks back onto the recent feed

I have myself to blame, choosing to beat this dead horse to announce the end of my hiatus, it's not like there are any lack of hatred threads...

In the Stark Hater AT-AT: "Yes, Lord Vader, I've reached the front page, the forum will be down in moments." 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2022 at 5:59 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

The training from the faceless men are contributing to Arya's mental illness.  The trauma from watching her father's confession of treason and the following execution started her illness but it is the other events which slowly took her to insanity town.  The bond with Nymeria seems unaffected by the distance and even the wolf is behaving more violently.  Direwolves are larger and more savage but it is unusual for wolves to harass humans and kill just for the hell of it.  The bile in Arya is affecting Nymeria.  The direwolf is sensing her hate and madness and acting out what Arya would do in a way only a wild animal can.  The bond travels both ways though.  Nymeria is contributing to Arya's sickness.  It is said she has the wolf's blood.  It seems she also has the wolf's mind.  A broken one at that.

It may be irony but Arya's madness will make her more savage.  She will be mental and unbalanced but she will make it back to Westeros to carry out her gruesome goal.  Walder, Cersei, and Roose arguably deserve it.  But Bowen Marsh does not. 

Arya will complete most of the bloody tasks on that crazy list of hers before she goes completely insane. Lord Frey will be the last victim before Arya completely loses her mind. Do expect a lot of collateral deaths as Arya crosses out the names of each victim. Bowen Marsh will be on her list but there is a chance she dies before reaching him.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rondo said:

Arya Stark is on track to murder a lot of people who opposed her family.  She composed a list of her future knife targets.  She joins a cult of murderers in order to learn their work.  Part of the initiation into this gang involved the murder of an old, insurance vendor.  Which she carried out in cold blood.  She killed a Nightswatch bard named Dareon with her rapier.  Arya is on track to become insane, if she isn't already.  She suffers from a serious mental disorder and kills with little to no guilt.  

Arya and Lyanna are compared by Ned as having the same wolf's blood.  This temperament, being hypersensitive and having quick tempers made them biologically vulnerable to mental illness.  The trauma endured is the catalyst that drove Arya to her mental illness.  The teachings of a cult of people who worshiped the god of death and who delivers death without passion is as unhealthy an education as a person can get.  

Mr. Martin is crafting entertainment.  I have to admit, it would not interest me to read about a ten year old happy child playing with Lego blocks.  We already have that in Tommen.  Arya Stark is his extreme version of a crazed little girl who is suffering from mental illness and insanity.  Ofcourse she is not going to count the hairs on a mule's ass kind of insane.  No way.  That's comedy and not extreme enough.  I do not root for Arya Stark.  I am not a fan of Arya Stark.  But I will admit that I find her chapters a little more interesting now because of her madness.  You don't even get to watch a 10 year old this mentally ill on the television.  

I do not expect a change of character direction for Arya Stark.  She had a chance to pick a different way of living before killing the old insurance vendor.  She instead chose revenge.  Jon's last thoughts before dying was sending her a telepathic message to "stick em with the pointy end." He is telling her to murder Bowen Marsh and the leaders of the Nightswatch.  That can't be good.  She will murder a lot of people when she hears Jon's message and finds him dead.  Karma will come back and put an end to Arya but not until she has killed many.

Some of her future victims do deserve punishment.  Ramsay is without good and deserve punishment.  But there are those who were forced to play the game of power who do not deserve her wrath.  They were just on the opposite side of the playing field.  The ghost of HH saw a bloody future for Arya.  It's clear to me that there will be collateral damage and many innocents will die while Arya goes through with her murderous plan.  

How and who will stop Arya?  Somebody will.  

The culture, or milieu, where she grew up is also responsible for what Arya has become. It's not only the damage and shock from the trauma of watching the death of her father.  I mean they are damaging enough but it is the totality of Arya's experiences which has made her sick.  The more time she spends with the Faceless Men and the more victims she kills from her notebook will only carry her deeper into insanity.  She will be told of Jon's murder.  The assassination by the black brothers will eventually reach her ears.  A lot of people will die between Braavos and Castle Black. 

12 minutes ago, Son of Man said:

The culture, or milieu, where she grew up is also responsible for what Arya has become. It's not only the damage and shock from the trauma of watching the death of her father.  I mean they are damaging enough but it is the totality of Arya's experiences which has made her sick.  The more time she spends with the Faceless Men and the more victims she kills from her notebook will only carry her deeper into insanity.  She will be told of Jon's murder.  The assassination by the black brothers will eventually reach her ears.  A lot of people will die between Braavos and Castle Black. 

Sorry for double posting.  I meant to edit.  Let us continue anyway.  George Martin can leave open the possibility of healing Arya's heart and even her mind.  Would we really want that to happen though?  I don't. This Arya killed a harmless old man.  Arya deserves to face judgement and receive severe punishment. 

58 minutes ago, Son of Man said:

Sorry for double posting.  I meant to edit.  Let us continue anyway.  George Martin can leave open the possibility of healing Arya's heart and even her mind.  Would we really want that to happen though?  I don't. This Arya killed a harmless old man.  Arya deserves to face judgement and receive severe punishment. 

If Arya is insane, why would she deserve punishment? And what kind of punishment do you have in mind?

On 2/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, Apoplexy said:

I'm not sure we should be casually discussing mental illness. We wouldn't discuss the etiology and pathogenesis of cancer or infectious disease here, why comment on mental health. This whole thread is wrong on so many different levels.

I don't mean to attack you but I think you are attempting to get the discussion closed because you don't like for us to criticize Arya.  That is censorship.  These are appropriate criticisms of Arya Stark. 

On 1/6/2022 at 5:59 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

Direwolves do not belong outside of the North.  Nymeria is out of place among the civilized/less-savage South.  Arya's bond is similar to how Shaggy had an effect on Rickon.  The awkwardness of Nymeria being in the South and Arya's hate is causing the direwolf to behave this way. 

Archived