Arya's mental illness

Rondo

On 2/19/2022 at 4:23 PM, Apoplexy said:

I'm not sure we should be casually discussing mental illness. We wouldn't discuss the etiology and pathogenesis of cancer or infectious disease here, why comment on mental health. This whole thread is wrong on so many different levels.

Amateur psychology flourishes on the Internet. 

56 minutes ago, Damsel in Distress said:

I don't mean to attack you but I think you are attempting to get the discussion closed because you don't like for us to criticize Arya.  That is censorship.  These are appropriate criticisms of Arya Stark. 

Criticize Arya all you want. But if amateurs commenting on the mental health of a fictional character they have never met does not seem inappropriate/plain wrong to you, I don't know what to say. Would you talk about which organism infected Jaime's stump that cause his fever or Urrigon greyjoy's finger that caused his death? Why discuss medical details that none of us can know?

On 2/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Apoplexy said:

Criticize Arya all you want. But if amateurs commenting on the mental health of a fictional character they have never met does not seem inappropriate/plain wrong to you, I don't know what to say. Would you talk about which organism infected Jaime's stump that cause his fever or Urrigon greyjoy's finger that caused his death? Why discuss medical details that none of us can know?

What is inappropriate is when somebody on the forum calls Dany a “wench.” If you want to talk about something inappropriate, it is the latter. 

18 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

What is inappropriate is when somebody on the forum calls Dany a “wench.” If you want to talk about something inappropriate, it is the latter. 

Right because isn't a wench defined as a young, lively female servant (who may or may not perform sexual acts for her employer).

2 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Right because isn't a wench defined as a young, lively female servant (who may or may not perform sexual acts for her employer).

I could call Dany a whore/murderer/messiah/liberator and it would be an opinion. If I try to assess her mental health and decide she has a 'mental illness', its just wrong because she is a fictional character and so I cannot meet her and she is written by a person who has no medical background.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Said person has not visited this forum since November 20th, 2021. Bringing up one person who said something stupid does not justify a "mental illness" thread of a fictional character written by someone who probably has nothing but a ridiculous chip in their shoulder.  

Much less the recurring posts: I'd prefer to not open up the General forum and see that this damn thing has been resurrected again. This entire forum is, bluntly, a waste of time (though a very fun one, I will wholeheartedly admit), and this thread is even more so. 

On 2/21/2022 at 2:57 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

So it's alright to insult a fictional character you don't like but when someone insults a fictional character you like it's inappropriate? Alright....

On 2/25/2022 at 8:22 AM, Rondo said:

Arya is a multiple murderer and a serial killer of the worst kind.  She taunted and tormented Rafford while he was bleeding to death.  We have a window into her mind.  Arya is crazy.  

you should have brought forth Dareon's case or something... tormenting and killing of that child murderer pervert doesn't bring about any sympathy.. if anything a "well done" goes to Arya for that kill:P

On 2/20/2022 at 1:03 PM, Damsel in Distress said:

Direwolves do not belong outside of the North.  Nymeria is out of place among the civilized/less-savage South.  Arya's bond is similar to how Shaggy had an effect on Rickon.  The awkwardness of Nymeria being in the South and Arya's hate is causing the direwolf to behave this way. 

The Direwolf is far from her comfort zone.  Jon himself will never make it out of the North. 

22 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

At the very least Arya has some form of shell shock/PTSD from the result of the ongoing series of events from the books, as well as some self-worth issues beforehand.

Arya's issue is mental illness.  PTSD is the result of the bad moments in her life but by itself is not insanity. Arya is not just suffering from PTSD.  She is mentally ill.

On 2/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

You have one good point here, that it's inappropriate to call Dany a wench. That's a term used for lowborns and she's about as royal as it gets. You could, however, make a point on the state of her mental health using a syllogism:

Targs are mad

Dany is a Targ

Dany is mad

Of course only 50% of Targs are actually mad, so there's just a 50% chance that Dany is.

On 3/5/2022 at 6:53 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

Obviously it's a severe case of I-said-so-because-I'm-(fill in the blank. I would say a multitude of things, but I'm also a civilized person)-osis. 

Her illness is obviously being a Stark. I hear it's hereditary and the only cure is euthanasia.

Archived