Jump to content

Arya's mental illness


Rondo
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Her illness is obviously being a Stark. I hear it's hereditary and the only cure is euthanasia.

 

On 3/5/2022 at 3:38 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

Arya's issue is mental illness.  PTSD is the result of the bad moments in her life but by itself is not insanity. Arya is not just suffering from PTSD.  She is mentally ill.

Arya Stark suffers from mental illness.  That would explain some of her violent behavior and her obsessive list of people to murder.  A lot of people suffered during the war of the five kings (which the Starks began) and most are not writing down a list of people to kill. Arya has PTSD but she is also a bit insane. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

Arya Stark suffers from mental illness.  That would explain some of her violent behavior and her obsessive list of people to murder. 

Another diagnosis courtesy of a psychologist with a degree from the University of Reddit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rondo said:

Arya Stark is on track to murder a lot of people who opposed her family.  She composed a list of her future knife targets.  She joins a cult of murderers in order to learn their work.  Part of the initiation into this gang involved the murder of an old, insurance vendor.  Which she carried out in cold blood.  She killed a Nightswatch bard named Dareon with her rapier.  Arya is on track to become insane, if she isn't already.  She suffers from a serious mental disorder and kills with little to no guilt.  

Arya and Lyanna are compared by Ned as having the same wolf's blood.  This temperament, being hypersensitive and having quick tempers made them biologically vulnerable to mental illness.  The trauma endured is the catalyst that drove Arya to her mental illness.  The teachings of a cult of people who worshiped the god of death and who delivers death without passion is as unhealthy an education as a person can get.  

Mr. Martin is crafting entertainment.  I have to admit, it would not interest me to read about a ten year old happy child playing with Lego blocks.  We already have that in Tommen.  Arya Stark is his extreme version of a crazed little girl who is suffering from mental illness and insanity.  Ofcourse she is not going to count the hairs on a mule's ass kind of insane.  No way.  That's comedy and not extreme enough.  I do not root for Arya Stark.  I am not a fan of Arya Stark.  But I will admit that I find her chapters a little more interesting now because of her madness.  You don't even get to watch a 10 year old this mentally ill on the television.  

I do not expect a change of character direction for Arya Stark.  She had a chance to pick a different way of living before killing the old insurance vendor.  She instead chose revenge.  Jon's last thoughts before dying was sending her a telepathic message to "stick em with the pointy end." He is telling her to murder Bowen Marsh and the leaders of the Nightswatch.  That can't be good.  She will murder a lot of people when she hears Jon's message and finds him dead.  Karma will come back and put an end to Arya but not until she has killed many.

Some of her future victims do deserve punishment.  Ramsay is without good and deserve punishment.  But there are those who were forced to play the game of power who do not deserve her wrath.  They were just on the opposite side of the playing field.  The ghost of HH saw a bloody future for Arya.  It's clear to me that there will be collateral damage and many innocents will die while Arya goes through with her murderous plan.  

How and who will stop Arya?  Somebody will.  

 

Apologies because I haven't read the entire thread but just wanted to chime in. 

I agree Arya is brutal & certainly is killing people but I don't think she is insane. I think there is a very clear path from what has happened to her & her family, what she has witnessed, & where she is now. I'm not saying it's the morally right place to be, but it's understandable. 

I don't recall GRRM or Ned making the case that Lyanna or Arya are "hypersensitive" & would be curious to see where you are coming up with that. I suppose the argument could be made that they are hot tempered but more than that Arya & Lyanna are described as "wild" free hearts, they don't want to conform to the way of this day & age. They are fierce. I would absolutely disagree that they are prone to mental illness, for starters we don't see any sign of Lyanna having any mental illness & I would argue they are both very strong mentally. I don't know many or maybe any girls Arya's age who could have dealt with what she has & still function. 

She is hell-bent on revenge, but I think I would be too. I would argue though, the insurance vendor wasn't on her path to revenge. 

Not sure where you are coming up with Jon telling Arya to kill BM & the NW's but it has been awhile since I've read this. 

I disagree that there are any on Arya's kill list that were merely forced to play the game of power. You make choices, you are responsible for those choices. You can choose to play the game & how to play it. I don't think anyone she wants revenge on can be called an "innocent" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 5:16 PM, Rondo said:

Arya Stark is on track to murder a lot of people who opposed her family.  She composed a list of her future knife targets.  She joins a cult of murderers in order to learn their work.  Part of the initiation into this gang involved the murder of an old, insurance vendor.  Which she carried out in cold blood.  She killed a Nightswatch bard named Dareon with her rapier.  Arya is on track to become insane, if she isn't already.  She suffers from a serious mental disorder and kills with little to no guilt.  

Arya and Lyanna are compared by Ned as having the same wolf's blood.  This temperament, being hypersensitive and having quick tempers made them biologically vulnerable to mental illness.  The trauma endured is the catalyst that drove Arya to her mental illness.  The teachings of a cult of people who worshiped the god of death and who delivers death without passion is as unhealthy an education as a person can get.  

Mr. Martin is crafting entertainment.  I have to admit, it would not interest me to read about a ten year old happy child playing with Lego blocks.  We already have that in Tommen.  Arya Stark is his extreme version of a crazed little girl who is suffering from mental illness and insanity.  Ofcourse she is not going to count the hairs on a mule's ass kind of insane.  No way.  That's comedy and not extreme enough.  I do not root for Arya Stark.  I am not a fan of Arya Stark.  But I will admit that I find her chapters a little more interesting now because of her madness.  You don't even get to watch a 10 year old this mentally ill on the television.  

I do not expect a change of character direction for Arya Stark.  She had a chance to pick a different way of living before killing the old insurance vendor.  She instead chose revenge.  Jon's last thoughts before dying was sending her a telepathic message to "stick em with the pointy end." He is telling her to murder Bowen Marsh and the leaders of the Nightswatch.  That can't be good.  She will murder a lot of people when she hears Jon's message and finds him dead.  Karma will come back and put an end to Arya but not until she has killed many.

Some of her future victims do deserve punishment.  Ramsay is without good and deserve punishment.  But there are those who were forced to play the game of power who do not deserve her wrath.  They were just on the opposite side of the playing field.  The ghost of HH saw a bloody future for Arya.  It's clear to me that there will be collateral damage and many innocents will die while Arya goes through with her murderous plan.  

How and who will stop Arya?  Somebody will.  

 

I’m not expecting Arya to get mentally well. She will go through with the maniacal way of murdering the people listed in her notebook. Nothing can pacify the raging demons inside Arya.  Stoneheart’s fate is hers as well.  All of the Starks are getting darker and meaner. Arya and Jon lead the pack with barely checked hatred. That hate will be released on the masses. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Revenge killings are perfectly sane and moral course of action when authorities could't be expected to establish appropriate mechanisms of justice. They are mandatory or salutary in many cultures and subcultures today as they were in much of the pre-contemporary period of Western European history, because official justice isn't or wasn't reliable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Arya is not insane, PTSD absolutely. Lots of trauma in her short life. If anything she has become desensitized to the violence.   I think she will respond to her enemies the same way they dealt with her and her family. So she is in a rather dark place I think, with murder and vengeance in her soul. But I can't see how anyone would be any different in the same situation.

She is very stable, considering what she has been through.

So, Insane... I think not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Putin On The Ritz said:

I’m not expecting Arya to get mentally well. She will go through with the maniacal way of murdering the people listed in her notebook. 

IDK firsthand, but I suspect that sometimes justifiable homicide might just prove cathartic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/12/2022 at 2:47 PM, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

 

Arya Stark suffers from mental illness.  That would explain some of her violent behavior and her obsessive list of people to murder.  A lot of people suffered during the war of the five kings (which the Starks began) and most are not writing down a list of people to kill. Arya has PTSD but she is also a bit insane. 

Most people are sane.  Arya is insane.  Suffering and sadness do not affect all in the same way.  Most can accept and move on.  Arya is not such.  So much hate in that little heart of hers caused her sanity to snap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...