Where are the Daynes ???

EggBlue

I guess everyone would agree that Daynes are an intriguing family with their legendary sword and legendary tales... even though they have barely been in the story .

so where are they? do you think they will be important in the next two books?

A. first of all we heard of Ashara Dayne as Cat and Cercei thought her to be Jon snow's mother. we heard of her suicide and her "dishoner" at harrenhall . we heard about her dancing partners and finally we realized she was the big love of Barristan's life. I've seen a few big theories about her:

1)being Howland's wife ( but one would wonder why she married the guy who helped another guy kill her brother?) .

2) Ashara is Lady Lemore ( but some say Aegon is not Aegon)

3) she is Jon's mom either by Brandon or Ned( what about the whole L+R stuff)

4) she is dead and there is no mystery what so ever

B. Arthur Dayne is seemingly dead . there is almost no chance he is alive but there are still some theories .

1) he is Mance Rayder ( I think this was by order of green hands but there were so many other things there that I got kinda confused!!! so is there any way that this could be?)

2) he is alive but who knows where the hell he is?!  (I mean .. I'm skeptical about this at best but one would still wonder that why are Daynes that ok with Ned to name their heir and only son after him? I mean he brought them Dawn..alright a thank u and no harm would suffice.. right?) 

3) he is Jon's dad!!( I think this was a joke but if you think so, please come and explain)

4) the guy's dead . get over him. ( such a shame!)

C. Ned Dayne is...somewhere.. . he is lord of Starfall and we have seen him once which is more than Ashara and Arthur! the last time he was in river lands with brotherhood without banners and Beric. after Beric's death we never saw or heard from him. it seems that Martin had thought he could be Sword of the Morning with the "5 year gap" but without it he is a 14-15 year old boy. so

1) is he forgotten? is he just omitted from the series?

2) is he back at starfall?

3)is he dead?

4)is he still in riverrun? wouldn't he be a knight or at least a somewhat experienced warrier if he's been an outlaw in the middle of all these wars in these 2-3 years?

D. Gerold Dayne (Darkstar) . this one's not dead. just missing . we have seen him only once and in that one time he tried to kill a little girl but instead only cut her ear... to make a war that even his prince doesn't want? the guy isn't even a lord .. he just seem to want dawn and is jealous of Arthur's fame!...

so now where is he?.. I know that most of us assume he is going to steal dawn ... but then what? what is he gonna do?

What do you guys think? Will they be in the story?

P.S. apologies if my English is flawed.. it's not my native language.

The current Daynes, for me, have been intentionally shrouded by George. They will definitely appear in the next books. Anyways, considering the current lord of Starfall is a kid, we can assume he has no elder siblings, since the dornish folk pass the inheritance rights to the eldest kid, no the male one. So if Edric is the lord, this means the previous head of Starfall is pretty much gone. I can't remember if he mentions his family, say, living sisters, brothers cousins and the such. On my first readthough (many, many years ago) I got the impression he was the last living Dayne of the main branch, so him running around with outlaws was a risky move, to say the least.

Gerold Dayne's agenda is weird. It may be he wants both Dawn and Starfall. 

The discarded five year gap may also messed up the Dayne's initial planned progression through the books. After five years, Edric could appear already married and as an acting Lord of Starfall. Instead, we have him in limbo. 

1 hour ago, EggBlue said:

A. first of all we heard of Ashara Dayne as Cat and Cercei thought her to be Jon snow's mother. we heard of her suicide and her "dishoner" at harrenhall . we heard about her dancing partners and finally we realized she was the big love of Barristan's life. I've seen a few big theories about her:

She's Wylla.

B. Arthur Dayne is seemingly dead . there is almost no chance he is alive but there are still some theories

He's dead.

.C. Ned Dayne is...somewhere.. . he is lord of Starfall and we have seen him once which is more than Ashara and Arthur! the last time he was in river lands with brotherhood without banners and Beric. after Beric's death we never saw or heard from him. it seems that Martin had thought he could be Sword of the Morning with the "5 year gap" but without it he is a 14-15 year old boy. so

He will remain a squire, wandering the Riverlands and Vale, in the company of a 6'10" mystery knight, in the style of Dunk and Egg, except we will not see the story from their POV, but through the POV of other characters such as Sansa.   This Mystery Knight will prove himself worthy, fulfill the ideal of a true knight, and slay a dragon.  He will become the next Sword and the Morning, and perhaps become a Dayne by marriage through a betrothal to Allyria.  They will, in the course of their journey, be mistaken for Pod and Brienne, by readers and perhaps others.  Of course, it will really turn out to be Sandor.

D. Gerold Dayne (Darkstar) . this one's not dead. just missing . we have seen him only once and in that one time he tried to kill a little girl but instead only cut her ear... to make a war that even his prince doesn't want? the guy isn't even a lord .. he just seem to want dawn and is jealous of Arthur's fame!...

He and his men will join forces with Obara to slaughter Balon Swann and his men, and then they will strike the Reach.  After that, I hope he dies horribly.

George can fix all this by making a point that the Daynes are the incarnation of a privileged family and were a big nothing all along that just got ahead on their privileges. Dawn is using the same trick as Stannis' sword. They're nothing special, and will do nothing of note in the whole story, but probably somehow take credit for whatever the "heroes" might do.

5 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I guess everyone would agree that Daynes are an intriguing family with their legendary sword and legendary tales... even though they have barely been in the story .

so where are they? do you think they will be important in the next two books?

1)being Howland's wife ( but one would wonder why she married the guy who helped another guy kill her brother?) .

2) Ashara is Lady Lemore ( but some say Aegon is not Aegon)

3) she is Jon's mom either by Brandon or Ned( what about the whole L+R stuff)

4) she is dead and there is no mystery what so ever

B. Arthur Dayne is seemingly dead . there is almost no chance he is alive but there are still some theories .

1) he is Mance Rayder ( I think this was by order of green hands but there were so many other things there that I got kinda confused!!! so is there any way that this could be?)

2) he is alive but who knows where the hell he is?!  (I mean .. I'm skeptical about this at best but one would still wonder that why are Daynes that ok with Ned to name their heir and only son after him? I mean he brought them Dawn..alright a thank u and no harm would suffice.. right?) 

3) he is Jon's dad!!( I think this was a joke but if you think so, please come and explain)

4) the guy's dead . get over him. ( such a shame!)

C. Ned Dayne is...somewhere.. . he is lord of Starfall and we have seen him once which is more than Ashara and Arthur! the last time he was in river lands with brotherhood without banners and Beric. after Beric's death we never saw or heard from him. it seems that Martin had thought he could be Sword of the Morning with the "5 year gap" but without it he is a 14-15 year old boy. so

1) is he forgotten? is he just omitted from the series?

2) is he back at starfall?

3)is he dead?

4)is he still in riverrun? wouldn't he be a knight or at least a somewhat experienced warrier if he's been an outlaw in the middle of all these wars in these 2-3 years?

so now where is he?.. I know that most of us assume he is going to steal dawn ... but then what? what is he gonna do?

What do you guys think? Will they be in the story?

P.S. apologies if my English is flawed.. it's not my native language.

Your English is fine. I personally think it will be Dorkstar and Ned Dayne who will be the knights in shining armor. Dorkstar is probably heading towards Oldtown with Obara Swann and hotah in hot pursuit. He will steal Dawn from Starfall and go to Oldtown to seek refuge unaware that Euron is heading toward Oldtown. He will either be killed by Euron to gain Dawn or will be part of the Battle of Oldtown along with Sarella, FPate, Sam and Garlan and die. Obara and hotah will kill Euron but not before he blows the Horn of Winter(Sam’s cracked warhorn) and brings down the wall.

3 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

She's Wylla.

Jon Snow's wetnurse was with him when Catelyn arrived at Winterfell. I think she'd remember if said wetnurse had eyes like Ashara's.

54 minutes ago, Egged said:

Dawn is using the same trick as Stannis' sword.

Melisandre made Stannis' "Lightbringer" magically glow, so that would be unusual.

8 hours ago, Jon Fossoway said:

On my first readthough (many, many years ago) I got the impression he was the last living Dayne of the main branch, so him running around with outlaws was a risky move, to say the least.

Gerold Dayne's agenda is weird. It may be he wants both Dawn and Starfall. 

there is still his aunt Alarya. but it makes sense that darkstar thinks he could be lord of starfall considering the lord's missing and he could either remove his aunt or force her into marriage... i wish this doesn't happen... anyway I dout he is as bad as Ramsay ( with lady hornwood) or Karstarks( with Alyse) .. dornish men aren't like the rest of the seven kingdom suppressing women all the time

7 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

He will remain a squire, wandering the Riverlands and Vale, in the company of a 6'10" mystery knight, in the style of Dunk and Egg, except we will not see the story from their POV, but through the POV of other characters such as Sansa.   This Mystery Knight will prove himself worthy, fulfill the ideal of a true knight, and slay a dragon.  He will become the next Sword and the Morning, and perhaps become a Dayne by marriage through a betrothal to Allyria.  They will, in the course of their journey, be mistaken for Pod and Brienne, by readers and perhaps others.  Of course, it will really turn out to be Sandor.

I thought Sandor is with elder brother...doesn't it make more sense that him who had experienced so much violence in his life end up having a non-violent peaceful life?

4 hours ago, Egged said:

George can fix all this by making a point that the Daynes are the incarnation of a privileged family and were a big nothing all along that just got ahead on their privileges. Dawn is using the same trick as Stannis' sword. They're nothing special, and will do nothing of note in the whole story, but probably somehow take credit for whatever the "heroes" might do.

that would be a bummer

3 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

I don't think she would.

why wouldn't she? she has just married. has seen her husband's bastard at home as an insult. asks around and hears about a beautiful woman with haunting eyes. looks around and sees one feeding baby Jon! if Ashara was Wyla , Cat would have known. and anyway if Ashara was Wylla that meant not only she had another child during these years ( since she is Ned's wetnurse) but her loving family had kept their courtier sister as servant!! that doesn't seem likely

4 hours ago, EggBlue said:

why wouldn't she? she has just married. has seen her husband's bastard at home as an insult. asks around and hears about a beautiful woman with haunting eyes. looks around and sees one feeding baby Jon! if Ashara was Wyla , Cat would have known. and anyway if Ashara was Wylla that meant not only she had another child during these years ( since she is Ned's wetnurse) but her loving family had kept their courtier sister as servant!! that doesn't seem likely

Most people don't notice eye color in others.  Catelyn wants nothing to do with Jon, and her interest in him mainly consists of wanting him out of the castle.  Nothing about her feelings for Jon imply she wants to stare lovingly into the eyes of Jon's wetnurse.  No, it is not impossible she might notice the eye color s of Jon's wetnurse, but there is nothing even remotely inevitable about it.

19 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

Best theory I've heard about Allyria Dayne is that she's Ashara's illegitimate daughter being raised by Ashara's parents as their own child.  

Agreed. I think allyria and illyreo aren't who they claim to be. Not much in text to back this though.

10 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Best theory I've heard about Allyria Dayne is that she's Ashara's illegitimate daughter being raised by Ashara's parents as their own child.  

I'm surprised this isn't a more popular theory. It's extremely rare for parents to have children twenty years apart; maybe her father remarried a younger woman, but there hasn't been anything to suggest that yet. That Ashara just happens to have this significantly younger sister--and that Ashara allegedly gave birth to a stillborn daughter--is way too coincidental to me.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm surprised this isn't a more popular theory. It's extremely rare for parents to have children twenty years apart; maybe her father remarried a younger woman, but there hasn't been anything to suggest that yet. That Ashara just happens to have this significantly younger sister--and that Ashara allegedly gave birth to a stillborn daughter--is way too coincidental to me.

Years ago it used to be almost taken as fact.

The some issues that arose about are that: 1) tough to confirm; 2) it doesn't really serve the story. In that everyone in Westeros would pretty much say, "So what?"

Archived